HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:07 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokitflite
One of my current favorites... 4" diameter body, Spektrum radio, powered by Aerotech F12 reloads.
Kewl. An enlarged Centuri Mach 10. I never understood the rational behind the canted stab, or the lack of dihedral, but apparently it glides well:
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Last edited by Trisquire; Jan 30, 2009 at 11:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2009, 10:14 PM
Laurel, MD
Joined Jan 2009
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
Rokit, I was looking at the old mach 10 in my 69 centuri catalog(I think) I assume the angled top fin compensates for the high mounted motor. How does it glide and what is your wingspan/weight?? It seems like you have a pod in the front but in the last photo I don't see that, do you drop or move it for CG?

Frank
Frank,
The angled top fin is the elevator in effect and the off center motor compensates for the drag of the "elevator". The pod is a weighted nose cone that spits out with the motor's ejection charge. It causes the model to be more ballistic and stable during the rocket boost by moving the CG forward. It has a hands-off boost if desired, but its fun to do a couple of rolls and such on the way up. Not sure of the wingspan and weight at this moment... Its in the basement and I'm not, I will weigh and measure it later and get back to you (I am guessing about 30" and 10oz without motor). It glides very nicely, not very long unless there is a nice stiff breeze, then it will just hang in the air.

-Scott
Rokitflite is offline Find More Posts by Rokitflite
Last edited by Rokitflite; Feb 02, 2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2009, 10:16 PM
Laurel, MD
Joined Jan 2009
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire
Kewl. An enlarged Centuri Mach 10. I never understood the rational behind the canted stab, or the lack of dihedral, but apparently it glides well:

The nice part about it being RC is that you can kind of FORCE it to glide well
Old Feb 02, 2009, 07:51 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,271 Posts
Thanks Scott. I can't imagine too many kids had the patience to get the original free flight version to glide successfully. My first rocket (at age 10) was the Estes Falcon boost glider. Definitely not a first rocket, and no, I didn't get it to glide.

Tom
Old Feb 02, 2009, 10:43 AM
Laurel, MD
Joined Jan 2009
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire
Thanks Scott. I can't imagine too many kids had the patience to get the original free flight version to glide successfully. My first rocket (at age 10) was the Estes Falcon boost glider. Definitely not a first rocket, and no, I didn't get it to glide.

Tom
I had the original Mach 10. I thought it was the coolest looking rocket there was. To me it just looked plain mean with that big open maw at the front! Mine flew like crap. Years later my friend built one around a 2.6" tube and it was AMAZING! It flew like a dream and almost flew AWAY on several occasions. I built a rough prototype for the 4" RC one and IT flew great! It took me 8 years to finally get the one in the picture flying, but its worth it. Now that I have smaller radio gear, I am going to make a 3" one that will fly nicely on Ds and Es.
Old Feb 02, 2009, 01:05 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
Interesting, I bet for RC, you could not angle the top fin, mount the motor in the center or low on the wing line, and just fly it on elevons, and get higher boost due to reduced drag from that angled tail, but still preserve the look.

I bet if I used my depron cruciform fuse style I could slip over a light estes type of 3 or 4" tube which would be light, just to round the fuse, and still use depron for the wings/tail and keep the weight down. The cruciform fuse would support the thinner tube and keep it from crushing and distorting.

Maybe with the right equipment placement and light enough weight we might be able to get rid of the dropping nose weight.

I thought I was going to take a break, but now maybe I'll play with this some.

Frank

Quote:
I had the original Mach 10. I thought it was the coolest looking rocket there was. To me it just looked plain mean with that big open maw at the front! Mine flew like crap. Years later my friend built one around a 2.6" tube and it was AMAZING! It flew like a dream and almost flew AWAY on several occasions. I built a rough prototype for the 4" RC one and IT flew great! It took me 8 years to finally get the one in the picture flying, but its worth it. Now that I have smaller radio gear, I am going to make a 3" one that will fly nicely on Ds and Es.
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Natter
Old Feb 02, 2009, 04:12 PM
Laurel, MD
Joined Jan 2009
12 Posts
Quote:
Interesting, I bet for RC, you could not angle the top fin, mount the motor in the center or low on the wing line, and just fly it on elevons, and get higher boost due to reduced drag from that angled tail, but still preserve the look.

I bet if I used my depron cruciform fuse style I could slip over a light estes type of 3 or 4" tube which would be light, just to round the fuse, and still use depron for the wings/tail and keep the weight down. The cruciform fuse would support the thinner tube and keep it from crushing and distorting.

Maybe with the right equipment placement and light enough weight we might be able to get rid of the dropping nose weight.

I thought I was going to take a break, but now maybe I'll play with this some.

Frank
Right,
Other people have suggested this but I wanted to scale up the Mach 10 as a Mach 10. I can certainly design something more efficient and aerodynamic, but that is not what I was going for. At NARAM 50 there were TONS of high performance gliders that would stay up for ages, but my single model got more attention than all of them because it simply looked cooler. I wanted to give people a show with it and I did. Oh, and the tube is a light weight Estes 4" tube. I'd love to see what you come up with Frank .

-Scott
Old Feb 02, 2009, 05:04 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
Oh, I hear you 100%, Scott, I would want to keep it looking as much like a mach 10 as possible, sort of like i did with the interceptor, but I just like things simple, if I can avoid doing ejection charges, and things dropping off, I'm just happier, but that's just me.. I ordered the body tube, and I have another sheet of foam, I'll see what I come up with. Thanks for inspiring me

None of my gliders stay up very long, but that's not what I wanted, like you say, I wanted to get some things to fly well that people haven't done or haven't gotten to work well as RC..and that looked cool.

I did try a foam version of an X-24, worked well with RC on the horizontal surfaces to steer it, flew it out of the upper story window into the backyard, but I couldn't get it to work with a pusher electric motor, it just didn't have enough wing to counter the torque, and I hate to stick a rocket motor into something that I'm not sure about the thrust line and trim on....

Frank

Quote:
Right,
Other people have suggested this but I wanted to scale up the Mach 10 as a Mach 10. I can certainly design something more efficient and aerodynamic, but that is not what I was going for. At NARAM 50 there were TONS of high performance gliders that would stay up for ages, but my single model got more attention than all of them because it simply looked cooler. I wanted to give people a show with it and I did. Oh, and the tube is a light weight Estes 4" tube. I'd love to see what you come up with Frank .

-Scott
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2009, 10:41 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,271 Posts
If I made another Falcon, I would cheat and give it an elevator tab which flips up when the engine ejects. The Falcon's wing and stab both have zero incidence. That's great for the 'rocket' part of the flight, but I've never had a hand launch glider that didn't require some negative stab incidence to fly properly.

Tom
Old Feb 03, 2009, 01:36 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
Rokitflite, I constructed the airframe, minus tube last night, looks like around 30 inches and 4" diameter also, right about where you are, airframe weight is 2.5 ounces without some carbon and the body tube, shooting for 5-6. To make it work well for my construction style (cruciform) I have the wings mid mounted so that the foam structure will support the body tube, and I kept the small stub horiz stab but placed it at zero incidence, since my thrusline will be right up the center.

I made a pointy nose in the cruciform fuse structure which will stick out of the front of the tube similar to the original, it doesn't look like I'll need to drop any weight, as the CG is coming out pretty good with the swept wings and long nose moment, glide tests look good so far. It won't be an exact mach 10, but it should have a similar look, which is what I want.

BTW, my good buddy, John Lyngdal saw your Mach 10 flight at naram and said it was very very nice.

Frank

Quote:
Right,

-Scott
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2009, 02:44 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
Mach 10

Well, I framed it up, and added the carbon last night, did some glide tests, figured out the CG and installed the electrics. So, it is all done except for the body tube, and painting. AUW with electric is 10 oz and a 1320 pack, AUW with rocket installed and a 730 3s pack for igniting/rx power is 9oz. Hoping the tube won't add more than an ounce or two.

WS is 30" and length 22, I made the nose pointed, so imagine the tube covering the fuse, with the wings sticking out the sides, and the pointy nose red, sticking out of the front of the tube. The launch lug is mounted on the xform fuse.

I did some glide tests in the back yard and all looked good, so I did a maiden with the pusher electric. half throttle was plenty, it was a bit roll and pitch sensitive and I had put in too much up trim. So I landed, took out the up trim, toned down the roll and pitch and moved the battery forward an inch. It flew great with that setting, glide was slightly nose down, and very good, roll rate was good, if a little non-axial. Loops with the battery more forward were a little larger than I liked, so I increased the throws on pich a bit again.

The little stub horizontal stab didn't seem to affect the pitch control in any adverse way.

Flew great, landed after 10 minutes, landing was very predicatable.

I then installed the rocket motor with the flight CG marked and found out I could use a lighter battery for the same CG with the rocket, and the burnout CG was only 1/2" forward, so I won't need to drop or move any weight after boost. I think it keeps the look of the mach 10 pretty well, we'll see how it looks when the body tube arrives.

Enjoy

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by burkefj; Feb 04, 2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:01 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
Here she is with the tube and canopy applied.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2009, 03:06 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
Here she is finished.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2009, 02:15 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
Here is the rocket flight video and pusher video, turned out pretty well, I rolled into a split ess on the rocket flight to keep it from getting too small in the video camera. I've since upped my elevon throw and moved the CG back a bit, as I was having trouble flaring on the rocket flight due to a bit forward CG and lack of sufficient throw. Works pretty well and looks great, very stable on boost, in fact, my first rocket flight I had a spektrum lockout during boost, came back on about 5 seconds into the rocket boost, but it was pretty straight none-the-less, given it was a non-responsive receiver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OyWGVOJKoo
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2009, 01:46 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2007
102 Posts
Quote:
...I had a spektrum lockout during boost..
Nice looking model ya got there. Any idea what caused the lockout? I'm using Spektrum gear in my models also.

DJ Miller
straitup is offline Find More Posts by straitup