Heres some of my models.

All Estes:

In the back

Mercury Redstone
Titan IIIe

In the front

X-prize "lucky 7"
X-prize "Gauchito"
The little colored ones are those new Estes RTF mini cheap ones.

2nd picture:

T-25 Centurian

The only one thats flown so far is the Lucky 7, which fits in my R/C box with a launcher. I fly it while my batteries charge. A bit wobbly but with a streamer and its low altitude it comes right back down within feet of the launch spot.

The T-25 was just finished and I set the elevator up with the servo mounted on the stabilizer to avoid the horrors I read about on here
just some guy is offline Find More Posts by just some guy
Old Jan 15, 2007, 06:06 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,327 Posts
Is that the Mercury Redstone they offered in the '70s? I've got the kit. It's on the far right:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...63&postcount=7

Tom
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Jan 15, 2007, 08:12 PM
Bartlett NH
Joined Jun 2006
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire
Is that the Mercury Redstone they offered in the '70s? I've got the kit. It's on the far right:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...63&postcount=7

Tom

I think its a little more recent, My kit had a plastic capsule. I see them quite a bit on Ebay, and my LHS has one left still, so I beleive it to be fairly recent.

That saturn looks pretty neat, how old is that?
Old Jan 16, 2007, 12:19 AM
Amishtown, Maryland
Joined Sep 2003
795 Posts
Here is the beggining of my new fleet built recently after my 30 year absense from the hobby.
1 Estes Max Trax, bought it for the launcher, the rocket is unflown.
2 Quest Harpon missle, c 6 3 for power, two flights.
3 Quest Tomahawk, built as a sport rocket, flys very well and straight and high on c65
four flights.
4 Quest Zenith 2, my favorite. Two stages c60 and b64 seems to work best. Goes to 2000 feet. three flights.

I hope to get a D powered rocket next, something like the old Estes Renegade. I'm glad to see rockets coming back, its a nice change of pace from RC and brings back the old days. Plus I now get plenty of exersise retrieving them
Cheers everyone.
billsmithjr is offline Find More Posts by billsmithjr
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:47 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by just some guy
I think its a little more recent, My kit had a plastic capsule. I see them quite a bit on Ebay, and my LHS has one left still, so I beleive it to be fairly recent.

That saturn looks pretty neat, how old is that?
Probably '70s too. I'm not real attached to the Saturn. On my Mercury, you have to construct the red escape rocket structure out of dowels - tedious.

Tom
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Jan 16, 2007, 12:50 PM
ElectriGlo Pilot
Ashburn, Virginia, United States
Joined Dec 2003
878 Posts
Justsomeguy - Hey I'd like to hear a flight report on your T-25. I was one of the elevator induced crash people who complained awhile back but I've since bought a new one - still in the box. I thought about making this one brushless only - I have a 400watt capable Lehner motor available.. should really make it scoot!

Billsmithjr - funny you mention the exercise from retrieving rockets... one windy summer a few years ago when I was very active with rockets (before the RC bug got me) I swear I lost about 8 pounds from all the running through fields of tall grass.. with the obesity epedemic in this country, the NAR should run commercials about eating what you want and flying rockets to lose weight! We'd "win" the lawsuit and quadruple the NAR/TRA membership!!

Although.... I was watching an old rocket video awhile back and have seen a number of flights from rocket sites recently and I noticed that to the uninitiated, it seems there's a weight minimum of about 250lb judging from all the big dudes flying rockets!
Trogdor is offline Find More Posts by Trogdor
Old Jan 16, 2007, 05:10 PM
Bartlett NH
Joined Jun 2006
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Justsomeguy - Hey I'd like to hear a flight report on your T-25. I was one of the elevator induced crash people who complained awhile back but I've since bought a new one - still in the box. I thought about making this one brushless only - I have a 400watt capable Lehner motor available.. should really make it scoot!
Yeah I just finished it last weekend, if we get some nice weather this weekend I'll maiden her but I think its gonna be cold. Maybe I'll sneek a flight in anyway.
Brushless would be awesome!!! And when you consider the cost of "E" plugged motors A lipo setup with the brushless makes alot of sense.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 09:45 PM
Joined Jun 2006
3 Posts
T25 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by just some guy
Heres some of my models.

2nd picture:

T-25 Centurian

The only one thats flown so far is the Lucky 7, which fits in my R/C box with a launcher. I fly it while my batteries charge. A bit wobbly but with a streamer and its low altitude it comes right back down within feet of the launch spot.

The T-25 was just finished and I set the elevator up with the servo mounted on the stabilizer to avoid the horrors I read about on here
Hi Just some guy,

Can you post a pic of how you mounted that servo on the stabilizer?
Thanks,

Heut
heut is offline Find More Posts by heut
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:30 PM
Bartlett NH
Joined Jun 2006
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heut
Hi Just some guy,

Can you post a pic of how you mounted that servo on the stabilizer?
Thanks,

Heut
Here you go, hope this helps. I probably should have used a smaller servo, but I think it will still work alright. (HS-55 used) Not too pretty though...
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:56 AM
Joined Jun 2006
3 Posts
Thanks!
You did not have any balancing issues with this? I am asking because i need to finish my T25 and was thinking abot a solution for the way estes proposed to control that elevator. What were the results during flight?

Jan
heut is offline Find More Posts by heut
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:49 AM
ElectriGlo Pilot
Joined Dec 2003
878 Posts
My first T25 was modified with a hollow Estes E casing so I could run motor wires through it and had an axi 2212/20 brushless hanging out the back but could also use rocket motors. That weight plus the 1320 3s lipo in the nose made it heavier than stock but when I hand launched I didn't even need power. I was surprised how great it slid through the air, I actually let it glide 50 feet before applying power (on that one and only flight..grrr) and it was great.

So I don't think the weight that might need to be added to balance would affect it too bad with just a 9g servo. plus with the CG from the swept wings keeping everything kinda centered, an rx battery in the nose should be good enough without lead...
Old Jan 18, 2007, 04:01 PM
Bartlett NH
Joined Jun 2006
29 Posts
Yeah she balances with a 4 aaa battery case (standard alkaline) jammed as far forward in the nose as possible, the canopy holds it in place perfectly. I am going to line the nose with weatherstripping to cushion everything. Anyway the battery and the rx balance her out just fine. There is alot of "wing" on this model.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:26 AM
Amishtown, Maryland
Joined Sep 2003
795 Posts
Yes Trogdor the Zenith had me trudging threw the fields for over half a mile the other day, the exercise is great! The fleet continues to grow.
1. Quest X-15 , one inssane flight courtousey of my sons bad mount glue job.Unbeleavably repaired after digging a three inch hole in soft earth.
2. Estes Stormcaster, one flight. I like it.
3. Estes CC Express two stager, unflown, looking for suitable site.
4. Trusty Quest Zenith2, five flights.
5. And the Quest Harpon Missle.
billsmithjr is offline Find More Posts by billsmithjr
Old Jan 27, 2007, 07:03 AM
ElectriGlo Pilot
Joined Dec 2003
878 Posts
Nice paint and finishing jobs, bill.

If you like the military look you should check out The Launch Pad and their rockets. I've got a couple built and probably 10 in a box waiting. Realistic looking and you can go crazy with the detail.

http://the-launch-pad.com/index.htm