HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:01 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
GWS STD Retract Install on GWS Me-109

Alright guys. I've been obsessed since XMas about getting working retracts into my Me-109. And today I finally got started.

On my very first landing the stock LG ripped out, so the belly of the 109 is a little tattered. (I've been belly landing her on grass, mud, snow, everything.) But it doesn't really matter, 'cause this aircraft has simply been a mule up until now, and she still doesn't have any paint! She'll get some soon enough.

On with the retract installation!

PS. All I have is a webcam. So the pics aren't great. But they explain better than I can.
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Last edited by The Enemy; Apr 28, 2005 at 09:39 PM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:03 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
First, remove that awful bamboo spar. Cut along either side, and pull out with pliers.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:10 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Draw yourself a centerline. It will come in very usefull for keeping things straight.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:14 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Measure the approximate length of your LG. I did this at the same length as the stock setup.

At this point I decided to install the LG in a more "scale" manner. Meaning that the wheels will retract outwards. You can do this in either direction...
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:18 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Measure the approximate width of the LG. Again, I did this along the lines of the stock LG, but I added an extra cm on either side for stability. I also made a template so that I can place the other wheel in the exact same position on the other side. This is where the centerline came in handy.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:23 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Make an outline on the bottom of the wing, using your template, where your wheel and retract are about the same distance back from the leading edge. Don't worry about the old spar slot at this point.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:27 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Now cut your hole! Our main concern at this point is the mounting point, not the wheel. So only the square will be cut out for now. The circle for the wheel will come after final length measurements are made.

Also keep in mind that I have cut the bottom of the hole on a slight angle so that my LG will point forward a few degrees. Again a scale look I had to add.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:30 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Always 'quick fit' your components as you go. This will insure that you don't go too far off track if you make a mistake...
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:32 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Cut some wood for mounting rails. Eventually, the plane will no longer be flyable, and I hope to pull out the LG for use in another aircraft when that happens.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:35 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Check and re-check the angle of your landing gear. I've put a wheel collet on the wire for a length reference.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:37 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Again. Check and re-check the length. The more you double check, the less likely that you will make a mistake.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:45 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Well, enough for tonight. I have to go to work. (At the brewery!) I will continue tomorrow. Progress will be slower at that point though. So feel free to give your ideas and opinions as I go along.

Another thing I should mention. I am installing this LG for 'lighter' use. Even though the Me-109 weighs around 17oz before the install, she lands really smooth. So I have no worries about tearing them out accidentally. This just goes to show how awful the stock LG is!

Corey
The Enemy
Old Jan 11, 2007, 09:41 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jun 2006
315 Posts
Corey - did this project ever go any further? I've got an Me-109 in the build queue (behind my C-160), and I've been thinking about using the blue retracts in it. I'd love to hear how your install came out.

Doug
elsyr is offline Find More Posts by elsyr
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:32 AM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Doug,

Yeah, the retracts worked really well and certainly looked the part. If you'll be launching from grass I would suggest you use a heavier wood to mount the retracts to. And to be sure that you don't get a bind in the mount I would also suggest you place the blocks on the retract, then epoxy them into the wing.

After the steps above I simply epoxied the retract/block unit into the wing AFTER bending my linkage wire. (The linkages for my outward moving direction were finniky and took the most work.) Then I cut my wheel hole to suit, and placed 3mm depron as a LG door...

In the place of the bamboo spar (original slot) I put in a shorter aluminum tube, and behind the wheel holes I placed a slightly longer than stock CF spar.

If you have more questions just let me know. I crashed this bird quite spectacularly and she no longer exists, but I sure remember everything about the retracts I installed!

Corey