HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:40 PM
Joined Feb 2005
48 Posts
Question
Bug build off for College Engineering Students... need a little help

Hi Guys

I am putting to gether a leasson for some students here at my school, to introduce them to RC flight, composite materials, and aerodynamic basics. I chose the Bug HLG as the perfect little plane for them to build. I have a few questions though about loadout equipment.

We plan on building about 5 of the bugs and would like to know what equipment, servos, reciver, and batteries that you all have had success with. Cost is a big concern for this project, but radios are not an issue. Any help would be great.

Mike
UMR
lvmikede is offline Find More Posts by lvmikede
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:53 PM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Nov 2002
254 Posts
Lots of good Bug info here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/
DlgHucker is offline Find More Posts by DlgHucker
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:22 PM
Joined Feb 2005
48 Posts
Thankyou
Old Apr 29, 2005, 12:55 AM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,193 Posts
Most people are using a GWS GWR-4P receiver because it's about the lightest you can get but it can have interference problems. A FMA M5 receiver is a bit pricy but gets better reception. I used Hitec HS-50 servos, but there are some new small servos that would work. 8 or 9 ounce torque servos are fine. Use the plans radio gear placement as just a suggestion. Once the glider is built place the gear where necessary to balance. My tail was a bit heavy (+ tail) so I wound up putting all radio gear forward of the wing.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Apr 29, 2005, 02:36 PM
Joined Feb 2005
48 Posts
Well, Guys thanks alot for all the help. With a little funding I hope to get this little project off the ground. With the GWS recivers is their a way to reduce the interference?

Mike
Old Apr 29, 2005, 03:20 PM
Gainesville, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2001
1,456 Posts
Keep the antenna stretched out and at full length. Route it away from carbon. You should be fine especially on a small model - the visual range is not that large anyway. GWS Rxs have worked fine on everything from a Shockflyer to a Pocket F/A-18 Falcon.... I've had the Falcon specked out at almost half a mile away with no problems.
stjobs is offline Find More Posts by stjobs
Old Apr 29, 2005, 08:21 PM
Joined Feb 2005
48 Posts
My group has a backing from Hitec! YEAH! We are able to get the servos at cost. Now to see if i can push them to get recivers....
Old Apr 29, 2005, 08:27 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjobs
Keep the antenna stretched out and at full length. Route it away from carbon. You should be fine especially on a small model - the visual range is not that large anyway. GWS Rxs have worked fine on everything from a Shockflyer to a Pocket F/A-18 Falcon.... I've had the Falcon specked out at almost half a mile away with no problems.
I'm fine with the GWS at my home field, but went to a hand launch contest last year and even though noone was on my channel, with about ten people flying, I lost all control 45 feet from the Bug. It actually nosed under and landed inverted without damage.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher