HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2002, 03:45 AM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
help web site, for beginners

Hi,

just build the skeleton of this site. I am not sure how much work it will require to be useful.

It is intended to help, mainly beginners, based on experiences from others.
Many links will be placed there, as no need to re-invent the wheel, but at least, a centralized location for them.

It will also include all the mistakes, I did, hoping it will help a little some, to do different ones.

All your feedback is most welcome, and as it is made for all of us, any plane data or anything is most welcome, and I'll place it with your name and Email address, if you are ok with it, of course.

http://www.geocities.com/pplawner/

It is new, under full construction, but some plane's data are already there.

Patrick
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2002, 09:10 AM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Patrick,

I think your idea and concept is great. As far as re-inventing the wheel I don't think you need to, Ezone here is about the best site to learn from unless it is the translation that's the problem. I like the idea of showing your examples and everyone should do it with their planes too. I've starting doing it also.

BTW, how do you find time or the safety to fly your planes given the current events over there? Maybe it's not dangerous everywhere but then again I don't know that. Keep the faith...
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Apr 07, 2002, 09:48 AM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Hi Sal,

thanks for the feedback, I will work on the site, daily, step by step, until cleaned and presentable. I also hope to get many inputs to publish there as well, as I think it does help to have a central location for data.

For time to fly, week-ends are good.
For the safety, it is ok, in general.

Thanks for asking.
Patrick.
Old Apr 07, 2002, 10:28 AM
Iowa
Joined Oct 2001
595 Posts
patrick421:

IMO you've got a great start. the site is easy to navigate, and has the potential of being a good resource. i've placed it in my "favorites" list and will be checking back.

if i have only one suggestion, it might be to add a glossary. when i first started i used the one here in the "zone" and found it less than complete. i suppose if one does enough searches, you could eventually find most of what you want, but if it were all in one place, it would be nice to have.

now i know a glossary has the threat of becoming a monster, but it is something that i think would be welcomed by many.
ronnath is offline Find More Posts by ronnath
Old Apr 07, 2002, 10:36 AM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Ronnath,

due to my initial limited resources, I wouldn't like to commit to something I wouldn't do.

On the other hand, if you would like to start building it, and I would just publish it there, that would be fine.

Few things I'll try to keep in mind:

#1 - Not copy what exists, but rather link it
#2 - If needed reformating of existing data and publish, ask the author if he is ok with it, and if not, then not taking it
#3 - Build something that will require low maintenance
#4 - Keep this site out of any company, sales, personnal interests, focusing on just the facts !
#5 - Share and Leverage knowledge. This hobby community is big and many brains can be used to build something nice and useful (starting with you, if you would like)
Old Apr 07, 2002, 02:47 PM
Iowa
Joined Oct 2001
595 Posts
therein lies the problem. i don't have the knowledge to do a proper job.

oh, well, perhaps some knowledgeable, kind soul will come along to do it.

BTW, i see you're in Israel. Hope all is going well for you.
ronnath is offline Find More Posts by ronnath
Old Apr 07, 2002, 06:14 PM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Everything just ok, here, but it will eventually be fine.

Too bad you cna't build the glossary then, as I already prepared the link :-)

Anyway, I'll eventually build it, with some help, as I think your point makes complete sense.

As a matter of fact, if I see that it does help as it should, I will eventually put more data, and ask also more knowledgable people for their help, in order to make it as useful as possible.