SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 18, 2010, 01:36 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,450 Posts
get some of the little packs like they use on the micro helis (MCX, blade series)? Probably even be able to snag the motors from there if need be (I know E-flight sells a complete line of replacement parts for them).
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2010, 05:48 AM
Northumberland
Joined Jan 2006
2 Posts
Turbinia

Excellent model and photos Aveling. It's great to see another model of Turbinia.
I am also having stability problems with my turbine powered 1/24 scale Turbinia (video on Youtube - search for Turbinia model). Even with the two outer shafts contra- rotating, the model is not too bad in a straight line, but heels worryingly during turns. I will be experimenting with more weight low down, but the turbines and copper funnel (for boiler exhaust) are tricky to compensate for.
The real Turbinia in the Newcastle Discovery Museum does not have any other stability component below the waterline. A removable false keel may be the only alternative.
Please keep us appraised of your model development, and I will do the same.
Best regards, Dave
daveandben is offline Find More Posts by daveandben
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:45 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,570 Posts
This one? Sounds wicked!

RC Model of Charles Parsons Turbinia powered by two turbines (0 min 16 sec)
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Nov 21, 2010, 03:53 PM
Joined Feb 2008
12 Posts
Hello DaveandBen

Thanks for those kind words - praise indeed, coming from such a source!

At 46 grams, my model is on the heavy side and I've had to remove the third prop drive altogether. Although it gave a super increase in speed, this was at the cost of a 30 deg torque induced list when running. Added to which, the extra weight (about 4 grams) was enough to give the model perplexing stability problems - stable at vertical, but also with a +/- 30 deg list!

I've reduced the listing problem by removing top weight for now. Unfortunately, because of the superb photographs of the real ship published on this site, I'm still finding detail to add! She still heels enough to alarm bystanders, but is actually remarkably seaworthy.

I've now got a new, lighter radio - a Flsky 4 channel set - to replace the modified Turborix. This will hopefully solve another problem that showed up at Leamington - that when all the 'Victorian Fleet' radios were on, the Turborix could not get a channel. I put this down to my removing Turborix's 2nd receiver.
aveling is offline Find More Posts by aveling
Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:35 PM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
Wonderful documentation!! All the way through... you are a modelers dream...

And very nice model there also Aveling--

FWIW..I have the plans from Traplet MAR3355- (1:24.5scale) I am hoping to build a model with them once I complete a few other models on the table- one being a 1:35 scale of the USS Cushing--I love the Torpedo Boat Destroyer silhouette from almost any country of that period.

The Turbinia plans are as complete as I think can be found from my limited knowledge.

Feel free to drop me a line if thee is anything I can share that can help you
mogogear is offline Find More Posts by mogogear
Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:45 PM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
Also---DaveandBen...what a true jewel you have there--as a live steamer to get a turbine in to my proposed Turbinia was my dream...we wil lsee what happens when I commence the build. It is so encouraging to see that you have achieved it though. My Cushing is steam powered - Stuart horizontal marine and a Graham twin...

Do you have any close ups or a build thread here on RC groups anywhere?

mogogear is offline Find More Posts by mogogear