HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2007, 09:16 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,581 Posts
Yes, that's true... am just wanting to sit back & watch others at this point.

All I need now is to find the plans for my calliope....

Chuck
herrmill is online now Find More Posts by herrmill
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2009, 06:18 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
Hi Tony;
You sure have started something here with your Turbinia. What a wonderful boat this is and so advanced for the period in which she was built. I wonder if you get the chance if pictures of the inside of the boat woud be possible? In particular the turbine.
And to Ottmar;
You have found an actual model steam turbine???? Could you post a picture of it and whatever info you have on it? Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Mar 10, 2009, 04:05 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
Pete - I will be going to take some more pics of the boat. Probably sometime in the next month or so. It's a case of combining it with a shopping trip.
However there was no public access to the inside. I can still ask them of course, and I'll do that! You never know your luck. I seem to remember that a scratched Perspex panel had been inserted on the starboard side so that the turbine area can be seen. At the time, I couldn't get in there to see clearly or get photographs.
I'll post when I've been.
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Mar 10, 2009, 03:28 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
That's great Tony. This is a very interesting ship that I would love to see more of but I didn't expect you to make a special trip there for more pictures. Good idea to ask about going inside. Maybe if they know it's for about 4000 other people as well as for yourself they may make an exception for you. Worth a try anyway. Good luck. Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2009, 03:42 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
For a very simple explanation of turbin es and jet engines for models check this link.
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/imgs/logo.jpg

Here's what you need to make a boat go with turbine power. Two of these in an 8 foot long destroyer would be awesome.. Pete
http://wrenturbines.co.uk/usa/engine...oprop/packages
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by norgale; Mar 10, 2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 09:36 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,201 Posts
But this was a steam turbine wasn't it?

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Mar 10, 2009, 09:47 PM
Joined Jun 2008
67 Posts
Wonder how well the steam turbine would scale down?.. The engineer in me wants to try it out.. But unfortunately it's beyond my training to make such things.

Along with the fact I no longer have access to CNC mill/lathes anymore
iDENTITi is offline Find More Posts by iDENTITi
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:48 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,228 Posts
Model Steam turbine which is still available.

http://jc-steam.com/estore/product_i...c0784011accd28
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old Mar 11, 2009, 07:30 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
Umi your right about the thread dealing with a steam turbine however I didn't know they made steam turbines for models so I looked up the gas ones. Either way the cost is daunting to say the least. I'm also wondering how the torque of the turbine affects the stability of a model boat? Could turn it turtle no? Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2009, 08:10 AM
Semi-Official Tinkerer
Rochester NY
Joined Mar 2005
821 Posts
I remember there was an article in one of the UK model boat publications about building a working model of the Turbinia with a small simple to build steam turbine. I know I have it somewhere. Dave.
Subdave is offline Find More Posts by Subdave
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:02 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale

I'm also wondering how the torque of the turbine affects the stability of a model boat? Could turn it turtle no? Pete
No more than an electric motor.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Mar 11, 2009, 03:54 PM
Joined Jun 2008
67 Posts
If anyone ever got that steam turbine... It would be interesting to see the internals of it.
I also don't like the fact that it has no oil circulation system. I'd be kind of dubious about the longevity of the unit.
iDENTITi is offline Find More Posts by iDENTITi
Old Mar 11, 2009, 04:13 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,438 Posts
have to make a lube oil pump (and probably a warmer for it), by then you would want an condenser for steam recovery and the pump(s) for that (to extend the run times) .....etc. Pretty soon you've got a scale operating steam plant from a tin can!and the time it takes to lite it off.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:45 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008
have to make a lube oil pump (and probably a warmer for it), by then you would want an condenser for steam recovery and the pump(s) for that (to extend the run times) .....etc. Pretty soon you've got a scale operating steam plant from a tin can!and the time it takes to lite it off.
Foo
You guys need to remember it is not a full size main propulsion turbine and only operates at a fraction of one HP. It would only have two ball bearings on the turbine itself. It looks like a well make model type, i have seen others costing more and were substantially less of an engine.

Adding condensers and the associated systems to support there operation adds cost and complexity to the model, it is fine if you want to go there, but not really needed, most modelers would be happy if there steam plant had a usable duration of 30-45 minutes which can usually be accomplished on one boiler filling and no need for feed pumps and the like.
Adding cost is OK if your name is NAVSEA but self funding a model usually tends to limit the complexity.

Thanks
Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:58 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,023 Posts
That steam turbine is pretty cool. Do you have one Steve?

I want to come over to your house someday and look at your toys!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot