HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2005, 02:20 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
Turbinia

Yesterday, I went to the new Discovery Museum in Newcastle upon Tyne here in the UK. In particular, I wanted to take some pics of the newly restored Turbinia. About 100ft long and skinny as a rake! She is an historic vessel in that she was the first steam-turbine ship. Built in 1894, she reached speeds of 39mph which astonished and worried the navy at the time, as they had dismissed any suggestion of the new engine being of any use.

The ship was then sent racing around the huge Spithead Naval Review of the year where all the latest (and until then fastest) warships were lined up for the annual display of the Royal Navy. The Admiralty were enraged and sent their boats out to intercept, but of course they were unable to catch Turbinia.

I've had this on my 'must build' list for years - 1960 to be precise, as that was the first time I saw her.

Here are a few pics which may encourage others to have a go too. A quick search brings up quite a few enthusiastic sites.

In the pics, the screw arrangements are what is most eye-catching - three shafts, each with three props! the rudder is offset.

The next set of pics will be of the scale model - rubber powered - built to check the layout.
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2005, 02:26 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
Turbinia model

How's this for a power supply?

There had been a group of sticky-fingered schoolchildren pawing the showcase just before I took the pics so my apologies for the less than clear pics in some of them.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 03:02 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,549 Posts
That doesn't look like contest grade Pirelli rubber. The hull shape of the full size version seems almost too traditional for that sort of speed and those tandem props just couldn't have worked that well. Anyway, the proof of the pudding is in the eating and 39 mph must have worried the Whitehall sailors
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Apr 28, 2005, 03:27 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
Those triple shaft/triple tandem screws are AWESOME!!!. They may not have been overly efficeint but holy snappin' do they look wicked

I wonder if they increase in pitch as you move fore to aft?

What scale are you planning on working in? Of course, you'll be powering this with a scale steam turbine, right
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:47 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
That looks like a very interesting subject for a model Tony! 39MPH is quite remarkable for that time! Hopefully you have worked this one to the top of your list since 1960!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:58 PM
Plymouth, MI/Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2005
44 Posts
Turbina under way

My Father (Charles) asked me to post this as he is unable to right now. He thought you might like a photo of "Turbinia" under way. He's somewhat of an ocean liner buff, having crossed extensively on the Atlantic run while traveling with my grandparents in his youth.

He asked me to mention that after the initial run across the fleet at Spithead, Parsons turned around and invited Thomas and Bruce Ismay (who controlled White Star Lines and were in attendence that day) to take a ride. Obviously, they were sold. (Bruce Ismay, by then chairman of White Star is the infamous male passenger who escaped the "Titanic" allegedly dressed as a woman - untrue - although he did exit in a lifeboat early in the process and was held to account for it in the inquiries that followed).

Cunard's "Mauretania" and "Lusitania" were the first of the new class of super liners to benefit from turbine technology followed by the "Aquitania" although turbines were installed in several smaller ships first, two were experimental destroyers built under license from Parsons for the Royal Navy. Two smaller liners were built by Cunard, one powered conventionally and the other with turbines, for comparison. At the end of the year, the turbine powered ship averaged a full knot faster with slightly less coal consumption.

Building during the same period were White Star's trio, the "Olympic," "Titanic," and "Britanic." He said you probably knew all that but to toss it in anyway.

Brian
cpaxson is offline Find More Posts by cpaxson
Last edited by cpaxson; Apr 29, 2005 at 01:40 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:14 PM
Plymouth, MI/Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2005
44 Posts
Opps.... correction

corrected above, sorry
cpaxson is offline Find More Posts by cpaxson
Last edited by cpaxson; Apr 28, 2005 at 10:40 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:33 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Brian, please let your father know that we miss his contributions to this forum and look forward to reading more from him here soon!

Those photos are amazing! the hull form certainly didn't look like it could plane! Ahhh, power!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Apr 29, 2005, 04:48 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
Thanks for adding that, Brian. I hoped the post would generate some interest but that is superb.

I'll post some further pics of the props/shafts (plus some of the others that were tested) later today when I have some time. The odd thing is I didn't take any pics along the boat from above, other than of detail. What an omission!

As to how high up the list - well up! the next boat I think. Not turbine unfortunately but I've a brushless with a 5.2:1 gearbox which should power a 3 to 4ft model well. Should sound good too (2800 rpm/volt at 12 volts+....)
Old Apr 30, 2005, 04:49 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
Turbinia - props used

Here are some pics of the props/shaft setup
Old Apr 30, 2005, 04:50 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
Turbinia - tests

...and some tested.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:23 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,973 Posts
This ship is unbelievably cool. And to realize it's over 100 years old just totally blows my mind!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Apr 30, 2005, 06:05 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
and when turbinia shot through the fleet at the grand review infront of HM Queen Victoria, he was almost arrested, however Queen Victoria was impressed by the craft and wanted a second run past!
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Apr 30, 2005, 06:37 PM
Joined Feb 2005
5 Posts
The reason why Turbinia has so many propellers is to over come cavitation. Charles Parson decided to have three shafts and on each shaft, three propellers because he did not have as much power as he thought he would have when he tested Turbinia and he knew Turbinia was capable of greater speeds. As a propeller revolves, each blade develops lift in the manner of an airplane wing. When a blade revolves at high speed an area of low pressure develops on its back surface (usually toward the tip), much like the incipient stall of an aircraft wing. At excessive speed or loading, the low-pressure area may spread across the entire blade, forming tiny bubbles of water vapor and a consequent loss of thrust and onset of propeller vibration are experienced.
Brian1982 is offline Find More Posts by Brian1982
Old Apr 30, 2005, 08:44 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
couldnt parsons have used larger blades or propellers with more blades????
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501