Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 06, 2002, 10:20 PM
Sweet!
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2001
2,819 Posts
Have a DLG/HLG?--Important Question...

Hi. I'd like everyone reading the forum to tell me what batteries you have in all your HLG/DLG's. I think you will soon benefit directly from the information you provide! Please help by stating for each pack you have:

Number of cells

MAH of the pack

Type (NiCAD/NiMH, etc)

Thanks in advance!
Q
Quacker is offline Find More Posts by Quacker
Last edited by Quacker; Apr 07, 2002 at 04:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2002, 08:29 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
I use a single Qualcom Lithium-Ion in my Bug. I use a GWS receiver which works well below 3 volts, so I get 3+ hours on one charge.
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old Apr 08, 2002, 12:04 PM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
I have the 4 cell Nicad (600 mah) that comes with the HItech Flash 5x system. Soon I will be getting a 250 mah battery for use in a HLG sized foam plane.
fprintf is offline Find More Posts by fprintf
Old Apr 08, 2002, 08:02 PM
Sweet!
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2001
2,819 Posts
Thanks, guys. Please keep the information coming.

Q
Quacker is offline Find More Posts by Quacker
Old Apr 09, 2002, 08:09 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,704 Posts
Depends on the airplane

Typically 270-325 mAH nicads 4 cells- Skeeter, Gnome, Chrysalis.

DLG- Sidewinder- 4 cell 150 mAH nicad SR pack.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Apr 12, 2002, 11:20 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,908 Posts
Why Nicads instead of NiMH? For the same weight you get more flying time. I use a 4 cell 120mah NiMH pack in my bug.
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Apr 12, 2002, 11:32 AM
Suspended Account
land of permaban
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
I got 4 350 mah nimh trying to save weight in a Lucia. I wound up having to add weight to the nose. I made a custom pack. Got them from radio shack.
Gman2 is offline Find More Posts by Gman2
Old Apr 12, 2002, 12:55 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,704 Posts
Why nicads?

Because my Sidewinder was the most expensive kit I've ever bought. I think it was worth it, I do like how the plane flies- significant improvement over a Chrysalis.

It's very hard to argue with the reliability of an SR nicad pack- I've never had one give out on me during a reasonable lifetime (and in some cases unreasonable.) I've bought NiMH packs that haven't been up to snuff and without going through charge/discharge systems, there's no good way to tell. Plus, I don't trust NiMH in anything resembling cold weather, i.e. below 60 F. And I've had NiMH packs dump their charge if left in a cold car overnight (below freezing?)

Couple the SR pack with a little Sirius charger and you've got a bulletproof system- not cheap, but highly reliable. You can charge up on the field in an hour and get better duration than with a fast charger. On a beatup airplane I don't care much about, I'll find a cheaper alternative, on the Sidewinder- cheap insurance.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Apr 12, 2002, 03:22 PM
ireland
Joined Apr 2001
250 Posts
110 and 350 sanyo nicads

I have a Horgee Joy HLG one year plus and still going strong 40 hours plus flying on 4*110 and 4*350mha servo Graupner jr 131 (5.5 gram) mounted in the tail feathers (followed all the advise givin to me from the LHS Greeene Hobbys Dublin Ireland "no long friction snakes which eat power")

and jeti 4 and hiteck feather recievers

When chucking on 110 mha get more than 1 hour and slope soaring acro style have always exceeded one hour usually 1.5 hours but very little warning that battery is empty

Fast chage 5 c in less than ten minutes

350mha last so long that I go home probably in excess of five hours

Its not the servos which eat power it the whole system micro servos detest snakes and the friction so my flying times often exceed the other chucky HLG in my area by a large factor usually
by a factor of 4 times and they got snakes and replace micros freqently mine are the original and still going strong

Two weeks time arrives my DLG horgee SAMBA in my LHS and look forward to getting it

Back in two weeks going to spain two weeks of chucking fun
ah forgot to mention my chucky is built to dissasssemble into small parts (without crashing) and is packed into my bag for tommporrow I fly south HLG also

Fly low and slow over the beach and catch the distracting chickitas on the beach

David exiting Ireland
thin wing is offline Find More Posts by thin wing
Old Apr 21, 2002, 07:34 AM
ireland
Joined Apr 2001
250 Posts
HLG country

one weeks chucking blizz another to go

got more than 5 hours from 350mha pack

ps the spanish girls always come up and ask where they can buy this type of plane seems they dont like engines

fly low and slow and kiss the beach

David temporaly chucking in Spain
thin wing is offline Find More Posts by thin wing