HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2005, 02:24 PM
www.beatyourtruck.com
Joined Mar 2005
10 Posts
Question
duraplanes VS. us. air core plane

I am fairly new to the hobby I have flown a few elctrics and can fly them ok I really want to get into gas planes I want to buy a an idestructable as my first trainer i am looking at the duraplanes .40 and US aircore trainer I saw both on tower hobbies and love the looks of the US aircore plane but i dont know wich is more durable any advice or recomendations for other trainers would be nice

thanks
gangstabunny is offline Find More Posts by gangstabunny
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:18 AM
Horizon
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
59 Posts
Well I have the duraplane .20 trainer, flying it with a .40. I have had many great flights with it but the fuse is real bendy in the air, the tail is always lagging behind the rest of the plane. Durable? absolutely, crashed it a half dozen times and its still flight ready. As far as the US Aircore I believe those are coroplast, you can get a ARF spad from ebay for about 30 bucks compared to 150. Or get a Sig Four Star if you are ready to leave your trainer behind, I love mine very nice plane.

hope this helps
hekili is offline Find More Posts by hekili
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:30 AM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,770 Posts
If you can fly an electric and make good landings then there is no need for a crash proof airplane.

I've been teaching folks to fly RC for 6 years now, and my experiance with the duraplane airplanes is that they are not good primary trainers because they're just too heavy and fast. The Aircore plane is acceptable but it's really not any more durable than a Sig Kadet, which, I highly reccomend as a first built up plane.

HTH
T
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:15 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2005
545 Posts
I had a Duraplane about 15 years ago that represented one of my several failed attempts at RC. I couldn't even get it off the ground. It was extremely heavy. I think some of the newer spad's would work better, but I just can't get past the cheesy airfoils on some of them. I'll take the risk with balsa, ply and plastic covering. My glow trainer is a H9 Twist, which is a low wing, fully symmetrical airfoil airplane. It's really easy to fly. Not quite as easy as my electrics, but close.
tridim is offline Find More Posts by tridim
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:29 PM
Crazy but Loveable
Lincoln Municipal, Nebraska, United States
Joined May 2004
427 Posts
I had the Duraplane 40. It lived about 20 seconds on its maiden flight.
Don't ever let anyone tell you the Duraplane is indestructable.
flyboy2610 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy2610
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:55 PM
Blissfield, Michigan
Joined Apr 2005
1,100 Posts
Aircore

Since the question is Aircore vs Duraplanes I will answer that the aircore is the best..I have taught 3 sons to fly on Aircore, and they are tough airplanes, and for the record we went through two Duraplanes without much success, but the Aircores were great !
Maineiac63 is offline Find More Posts by Maineiac63
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:20 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
If you are going AirCore... go look at www.spadtothebone.com. Same construction style models (Corogated plastic) and a lot of models to look at. The "SPAD" knock-off of the SigLT-40 comes out lighter than the LT 40... (the Aircores trainer can be made much lighter by using CA instead of the contact cement and using the techniques on the SPAD site)

As far as comparing the Aircore to the Duraplane... the Aircore is easier to keep LIGHT. (and that would make it win in my book EVERY time) The Duraplane is good. The Aircore is just a bit better.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Apr 29, 2005, 09:31 AM
Blissfield, Michigan
Joined Apr 2005
1,100 Posts
Coroplast web site

Thank you fhhuber for that website, just what I've been wanting cause I saved up a bunch of coroplast and had visions of turning out some new planes with it..wow, they even have free plans and distructions on how to build 'em. I'm agonna build that big cubby and then look at some other stuff there!! TNX again!
Maineiac63 is offline Find More Posts by Maineiac63
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:06 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac63
..wow, they even have free plans and distructions on how to build 'em...
I love this misspell!
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2005, 06:35 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
970 Posts
I have found that the Dura plane needs to be set up by an EXPERIENCED pilot then it isn't a great flier, I hate to see a student bring one out. Aircore ??? I have only flown a couple so I won't comment. If you want a plane that can take a beating try looking at falcon-trading.com. I fly them all and have transported them all over the country with very little damage.. They fly Great and stand up to a lot of abuse. ENJOY!!!!

Red
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:56 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,388 Posts
I designed and built my own coroplast trainer. It has a wingspan of 64", weighs 6.3lbs. and is powered by a Tower 40 ABC engine. The fuse is made of PVC gutter pipe and bends so the tail is lagging behind the plane but this doesn't affect the overall performance of the planes. Whenever it is flown (not only by me but other pilots at our field) it causes a lot of smiles (mainly caused by the "slow reaction" of the tail) but everyone says that it flies great. It has excellent wind penetration and is pretty much unaffected by wind. I've flown it in winds of 10-12 mph with gusts up to 18 mph. without any problems. The generous wing area (707sq.in.) and the weight make it really easy to land - easier than most other high wing trainers. She flies inverted and is really easy to keep her inverted and make turns. She takes a lot of abuse in my car without getting any dents. She'll benefit from a more powerful engine (especially a 46 BB one) but when I built it I already had that engine available and it serves well (it's an extremely reliable engine - full equivalent of OS 40FP) and fulfills her main purpose - a high wing trainer for beginners with absolutely no experience (taught by an instructor using a buddy box).
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2005, 10:07 PM
United States, IL, North Aurora
Joined Mar 2005
39 Posts
U.S. Aircore planes are great.

I have had 3 aircore planes and all have flown well and are nearly indestructable. My favorite is the Knighthawk. Same basic body as the trainer, with usefull additions: Camera mount, bomb drop, extra tanks and more. With flaps this plane is a good short take off plane and loads of fun. All of the aircore planes are a bit heavy so use a good quality .46 2stroke or better yet a saito .72 or .82. I have broken the spar on one plane and just pulled it out and inserted another and was flying in less then one hour.
pache11 is offline Find More Posts by pache11