HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2005, 12:19 PM
Scale Builder, RCAPA #29
Lansdale, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,370 Posts
Help With Optic 6 - SW-4 Switch

I just received my Optic 6, and I am getting ready to install it in my Top Flite Corsair and I have a question on the setup of the flaps if I want to use the SW-4 three position switch. I am trying to setup so that at one position (closest to me) the flaps are up,... then I can switch to the middle position to have my flaps drop 50% of travel, with some elevator mixed in (F-E Mix). The far position would be 100% of flap travel for the final approach (LAND).

My thought here is I'll be flying down the base leg, drop my retracts using SW2, then go to 50% flaps using SW4, turn onto final, and then drop flaps the remainder of the way.

I know there are some guys out there that can help me with the steps to set this up right,... I am still trying to get through the understanding of the manual.

Thanks.
Rob Schaffer is offline Find More Posts by Rob Schaffer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2005, 12:27 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,340 Posts
You need to set up two modes for flaps full down and 50% - you can use LAND and CAMB for this purpose. Then you need to reassign the switch and position which activates them in MX.SW. You can check this thread for more info.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2005, 12:49 PM
Joined Apr 2004
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Schaffer
I am trying to setup so that at one position (closest to me) the flaps are up,... then I can switch to the middle position to have my flaps drop 50% of travel, with some elevator mixed in (F-E Mix). The far position would be 100% of flap travel for the final approach (LAND).

My thought here is I'll be flying down the base leg, drop my retracts using SW2, then go to 50% flaps using SW4, turn onto final, and then drop flaps the remainder of the way.
First of all, this radio doesn't have a built-in F->E mix. It has a E->F mix, but that's not what you need. If you really want to have F->E mix, you have to program one of the custom mixes. However, normally one would only need the F->E mix if one's planning to use fully proportional manual flap control. According to what you said above, you are not planning to do that yet (are you?), but instead you are only planning to use the SW-4 for pre-programmed discrete flap control. For this you don't immediately need the F->E mix. Instead, you just have to enter the concrete flap and elevator deflection values in CAMB and LAND modes.

Another thing about your desired setup is that you want to use the upper (closest to you) position of the SW-4 for "normal" flying, middle position for camber (50% flaps) and lower (farthest from you) position for landing (100% flaps), i.e. you need the following sequence of modes on SW-4: NOR-CAMB-LAND. By default, SW-4 is programmed for CAMB-NOR-LAND. There is more than one way to work around this, but I'd suggest that you go to the switch selection menu (page 39 in the manual) and reassign SW-4 positions in accordance with your desired layout: NOR-CAMB-LAND.

After that all you need to do is to go to the CAMB programming menu, enable CAMB and enter the desired deflection values for flap channel (50%) and elevator channel (you'll have to experiment to find the appropriate elevator value).

Then do the same for LAND mode: enter 100% for flap channel and the appropriate compensation for elevator channel.

That should be it.
AndreyT is offline Find More Posts by AndreyT
Old Apr 27, 2005, 01:19 PM
Scale Builder, RCAPA #29
Lansdale, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,370 Posts
Sweet,.. Thanks guys. I am going to have the flaps set for descrete values, not proportional, so the setup using CAMB and LAND should work out great. First flight I'll have the flap values set, but leave the elevator alone, and up high I'll check the "feel" of how much to mix in. I'll then fly the plane all the way in and adjust the elevator values just to make things a little easier.

Rob Schaffer is offline Find More Posts by Rob Schaffer
Old Apr 27, 2005, 02:08 PM
Joined Apr 2004
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Schaffer
I am going to have the flaps set for descrete values, not proportional, so the setup using CAMB and LAND should work out great.
Note though, that reagardless of whether you want it or not, you'll have the proportional flap control on the right-hand side lever on the TX.
AndreyT is offline Find More Posts by AndreyT