HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2005, 03:00 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
I thought about Propeller torque but I going to see if its lateral balance as well. What can it hurt. I'm sure you are correct ARI that it's prop torque which I may prop down some and see if that helps. I may just live with it because the right rudder trim isn't that much. Got in two more flights today. Waa Hoo.

I was just wondering is it best to CA the Blades on or Epoxy. Thanks Again. I'm going to post my Slow G in the Park Flyer forum. Im just so proud of her.
David
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
Last edited by fly4fun; Jun 09, 2005 at 03:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2005, 03:29 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,586 Posts
I did not notice the right drift on mine, but then may be I just trim it out the first flight. Are the rotors spinning the same speed? or generate the same lift?

Ari, I have yet to weight my SlowG, I will post the weight when I aquired that info

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Jun 09, 2005, 04:09 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
I believe Ari is correct it could be torque. When I have high throttle with lots of prop rpm is when the torque kicks in and so I have to counteract with some right rudder or I can trim it out. At first I was thinking lateral balance but that might not be the problem. I should just trim it out for straight and normal cruise flight. I believe the rotors are spinning the same though. Its not a big deal as Im swinging a big stick at High RPMS during climbs. Normal flight its pretty much hands off flying. Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 09, 2005, 07:15 PM
Joined Sep 2004
762 Posts
Aeromicro

I have to agree, Perry at Aeromicro is the bomb! He's helped me out many times. Any idea when you're gonna be done with your big batch?
ssgtakeo is offline Find More Posts by ssgtakeo
Old Jun 10, 2005, 09:28 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Ok a smaller 10 x 4 Prop didn't help with my Torque Problem. A matter of fact I thought the prop was too small so I'm going back to my 11 x 7. Just to clear things it doesn't drift to the left it tilts slightly to the left and can be corrected with some right trim. From what I can see the rotors spin at the same RPMs but who can really tell when flying. Next Im going to check lateral balance and if its balanced laterally I'm just going to leave well enough alone. Having some right trim isn't so bad so I can live with it. Its still an awsome flying Gyro.

David
Old Jun 11, 2005, 05:12 AM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4fun
I was just wondering is it best to CA the Blades on or Epoxy. Thanks Again. I'm going to post my Slow G in the Park Flyer forum. Im just so proud of her.
I've been using thin CA on all my G's, but I'm sure epoxy could work as well. I like CA for this application because I don't have to fixate the blades while they dry - with slower-drying glues, you have to come up with some sort of jig. If you do however, you may want to consider yellow carpenter's glue, it works really well.

Would you post a link to your parkflyer post here? (as well as the other way around )
Quote:
Ok a smaller 10 x 4 Prop didn't help with my Torque Problem. A matter of fact I thought the prop was too small so I'm going back to my 11 x 7. Just to clear things it doesn't drift to the left it tilts slightly to the left and can be corrected with some right trim.
10x4 definitively sounds too small, even with your brushless setup. It's a slow model that needs a big prop.

Most airplanes need a bit of right rudder when flying slow at high RPM to counter prop torque. A Slow-G is flying slow most of the time Normally, the way to counter torque is to build a bit of right thrust into the engine mount. But there is none in the GWS tube fuse, so you have to use rudder. There is also no downthrust, which makes it necessary to use elevator trim with power changes and power on final aproach. I might design a balsa fuselage for the next-generation model which will take care of both these issues. Would you guys be interested in that?

Quote:
Its an awsome flying Gyro.
David, reading this makes it all worthwhile for me. Thank you for saying that!

Ari.
iter is offline Find More Posts by iter
Old Jun 11, 2005, 05:13 AM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgtakeo
I have to agree, Perry at Aeromicro is the bomb! He's helped me out many times. Any idea when you're gonna be done with your big batch?
It will be a couple of weeks. But call Perry, he might still have one left.

Ari.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 11:54 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Thanks Ari and I already did post a link in the Park Flyer forum. My lateral balance is fine so its torque. Not a problem for me so when I'm at high RPM And climbing I will feed in some rudder to counteract. What ever you do Ari please continue the progression of this Great Flying Gyro and a Balsa fuse would be interesting.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:12 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Well Ari I tried something Different with my Slow G power Setup. I installed a Himax 2812-1080 motor with Polyquest 1800mah 3s Lipos and it proved to be too heavy of a setup. I was at 16.2oz AUW and when I tried to take off it was taking a long ground run to get the blades spinning fast enough for lift off. I attempted to take off knowing the blades weren't spinning fast enough and a stall resulted. The damage report is one blade came off and another one cracked. This can be easily repaired and I'm going back to my lighter setup. The point of all this is that the Slow G flys fine at 14oz or less, but anything heavier it can be a nightmare at take off. I just wanted to let you know. Thanks.

BTW Still loving my Slow G

David
Last edited by fly4fun; Jun 15, 2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 02:17 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Thanks for the info! I hope your Slow-G is back in the air soon. Let me know if you need spare blades, I can send you a couple for the price of shipping.

What kind of prop did you use?

Ari.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 03:03 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
I used a 11 x 4sp APC Prop. Thanks for the Offer on the Spare Blades but I should be Fine. I will have my Slow G up and running again today for some more flying.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 10:13 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Ok I tried 11 x 7 APC prop on my 16oz Slow G and I was able to takeoff without any problems. Normal flying was also good but I can feel the extra weight a little. I like the lighter setup though so I going back to my Himax 4100 Setup. It seems the Slow G likes a Large High Pitch prop to get it airborne.

David
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:26 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
I was going to say that, but wasn't really sure. Now I am! Thatks for testing this out, David.

Since a Slow-G is, well, slow, it needs all the static thrust you can give it, and 4" pitch props just don't seem to do that.

Ari.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:36 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
I agree Ari about the prop Pitch. I hope you find my postings useful. I hope the Slow G becomes popular in the future. Keep us posted on any future developments of the Slow G. Thanks.

David
Old Jun 30, 2005, 08:31 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Ari are you doing any further development of the Slow G. I would like to see removable blades instead of Glue on Blades. I'm not sure If that is possible.