SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 26, 2005, 01:18 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Preliminary PDF manual available for download from http://www.slow-g.com/manual.pdf

Thanks to everyone in this thread and offline who contributed. As before, I'm happy to answer questions and clarify whatever is unclear in the manual.

Ari.
iter is offline Find More Posts by iter
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2005, 08:39 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
Good job, Ari.

Brian, an EAJ.
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Jun 03, 2005, 07:38 PM
Lakeland,FL
Joined Jan 2005
344 Posts
Slow Stick - G

iter,

I did order 2 kits from AeroMicro.. Great service. Mind is built and I am waiting for by buddy to finish his.
We both fly autogyro's

Nice kit also.

Thanks,
Jim
rcflyerfl is offline Find More Posts by rcflyerfl
Old Jun 03, 2005, 07:55 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Glad you liked it! Post some photos in the "adventure" thread, better yet, videos! Let us know if aything was unclear in the manual.

Perry's service is excellent, that's why I chose to work with him on this project. He's 30 minutes' drive away from me, but I hear a lot of good feedback about his mail-order business, too.

Perry called this morning to tell me that he's all but sold out - as of today, he had 2 kits left - and that's with no advertising beyond these threads. It's not even on his website yet. RCGroups is truly amazing. I'm making a larger batch to cope with demand - 150 kits this time. Perry tells me he won't put the kit on his website until he gets the larger batch, because it would be silly to put "new arrival" and "out of stock" in the same sentence. Who would have guessed.

Ari.
Old Jun 05, 2005, 01:20 AM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,779 Posts
Ari
I was in Perrys shop yesterday afternoon and got to see your finished product and packaging, very nice!

I also emailed you the Reno photos this afternoon.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Jun 07, 2005, 05:44 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Bob Ruff gave me his Slow G rotor setup with much surprise to me I'm having a blast with it. I have a Total of three flights with it now and I'm getting very use to how it flys. I have alot of Slow Stick flying time but the Slow G doesn't fly like my slow stick. Forward speed is a must to keep those rotors spinning but it doesn't take much. ROG take offs does take a little longer than the Stock SS. Landings take a little getting use to. I land with some power and about a foot off the Ground I do a high nose flare to a point I have almost zero forward speed to a soft touch down. It doesn't do any aerobatics but the Cool Factor is sure there. Just flying around is a real attention getter. This is about the closest thing to a Helicopter I ever flown. I have it trimmed to fly level just under 1/2 throttle any less than that it starts to descend or if I go above 1/2 throttle it climbs. Is this Normal flight behavior for a Gyro copter. Also I painted the whole thing with Acrylic paint from Walmart and didn't rebalance the Rotor setup. It seems to fly just fine with the added paint.

My setup is a Himax 2015-4100 BL + GWS D 6:1 GB and 11 x 4apc Prop.

Thanks for a cool design ITER and thanks a Bunch to Bob Ruff for giving me the Slow G Setup. Its AWSOME!!!!!!

David
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
Last edited by fly4fun; Jun 07, 2005 at 06:21 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2005, 07:09 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
David, I'm very happy to hear this! It's such a change from my day job at $BIG_TECH_COMPANY to have real customers, and ones who actually like my product!

To make your landings more vertical, you can try moving the CG back a bit, to were it is just ahead of the rotor masts or even under them (do it gradually to get used t it). That will stop the nose from dropping when you lose forward airspeed and the elevator losses effectiveness. It will also make the model more sensitive in pitch, so you may want to use dual rates on elevator.

What is your AUW with this setup?

Ari.
Old Jun 07, 2005, 09:48 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Correction for my first post. Im using an APC 11 x 7SF prop.

My AUW is 14.5oz. Do you consider that heavy?

My setup.

Himax 4100 BL
GWS D 6:1 GB
11 x 7 apc
Hitec 555 RX
Hitec 55 Servos
Etec 1200 3s Batteries.
CC 25amp ESC

Click on Picture for larger size.
Last edited by fly4fun; Jun 07, 2005 at 10:08 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2005, 10:03 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Another Picture:

click on picture for larger size.
Old Jun 07, 2005, 10:35 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,020 Posts
fly4fun,
I'm glad you are enjoying it. I found it was a pleasure to fly. A real crowd pleaser!
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jun 07, 2005, 10:47 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4fun
My AUW is 14.5oz. Do you consider that heavy?
It's heavier than my prototypes, but as long as it flies the way you like it, I see no problem with that. I'm mostly interested in others' AUWs because people ask me what works and what doesn't. So now I know that 14.5oz works with that setup :=)

Thanks for sharing.

Ari.
Old Jun 07, 2005, 10:51 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLH
I also emailed you the Reno photos this afternoon.
Thank you Kern. With your permission, I've posted one of them in the original thread - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=3#post3857077
Old Jun 08, 2005, 10:05 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Ari 14.5 oz flys no problem. I have plenty of power to spare. Most of my flying is done just below 1/2 throttle and if I give it full power, I can almost go Vertical. Hee Hee. I got in a couple more flights this morning before work. Great Fun.
Old Jun 09, 2005, 11:57 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
My Slow G needs some right trim to maintain level flight. Does this mean I'm not balanced laterally? Thanks.

David
Old Jun 09, 2005, 03:10 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
I think it has more to do with the propeller torque, but I think you could balance it with a bit of weight on the right wing like you suggest. You could also try to make the left rotor develop more lift by oling its bearings. I wonder if you are seeing this effect because you have a more powerful motor than me.

Have other people been seeing this effect?

Ari.