HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2002, 03:52 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,609 Posts
Replacement battery to drive your charger?

On a little trip yesterday Youngleccy and me discovered a possible replacement charging battery, which might be of interest to e-flight enthusiasts in view of the longer evenings. Our clubmate has just replaced his 85amphour leisure battery with a larger 115ah version and we thought this might be an appropriate response.

I don't know the actual capacity (maybe groundloop could weigh in with some likely figures) but the guidebook says that there are 224 of these in two banks in the submarine (HMS Onyx - open for viewing at Birkenhead) equivalent to 94,000 ordinary car batteries.

We spent a very interesting day looking around the Onyx and HMS Plymouth, both of which served in the Falklands twenty years ago this week. It was my first time actually inside a submarine and respect is due to those in the silent service who work under those conditions for months on end. YL was most impressed by the NAAFI on board HMS Plymouth - he thought it was very cool that you could buy a can of Fanta and a Twix whilst going into battle.

We weren't able to go inside the U534 as that isn't open to children, but she looked most impressive sitting on the dockside.
The Historic Warships Preservation Trust is highly recommended to any visitors to the Merseyside area- here is their website

http://www.f126.freeserve.co.uk/next.html

and here is youngleccy with one of the batteries
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Apr 07, 2002, 05:11 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,422 Posts
Re: Replacement battery to drive your charger?

Quote:
Originally posted by leccyflyer
I don't know the actual capacity (maybe groundloop could weigh in with some likely figures) but the guidebook says that there are 224 of these in two banks in the submarine (HMS Onyx - open for viewing at Birkenhead) equivalent to 94,000 ordinary car batteries.
I can neither confirm nor deny...

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Apr 07, 2002, 06:05 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,609 Posts
Sorry Mark- I never thought

It wasn't a trick question- I should have had a closer look at the cells and noticed what their capacity was. They were very impressive in any case.

Leccy
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Apr 07, 2002, 09:02 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,422 Posts
I had the opportunity last year to see the entire bank from a Los Angeles class sub in the shop and on charge. I couldn't believe the amp capabilities that the battery as a whole can produce. I was quoted numbers but I'll just say that my jaw dropped.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Apr 08, 2002, 03:33 PM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,142 Posts
Of course if you told us, you'll have to kill us.
MK is offline Find More Posts by MK
Old Apr 08, 2002, 05:26 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Its exide not chloride but no state secret.
http://www.exideindustries.com/bat.htm
The dimensions may not be exactly the same, but...
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards