HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2005, 06:44 PM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2005
1,522 Posts
My New Slick Is Slick!

I've had my Slick II from http://www.m-a-e.com for about a week.

What a fun little plane. Only thing I could find that would fit in the cab of my little Toyota truck. It flys bigger than its' 27" and 5 oz. Even had it out in a pretty good wind yesterday.

Randy is the greatest to deal with. Soooo patient and helpful on the phone and emails before, during, and after the sale. Just check the videos on his page and you will see how sweet this little plane flies!

bob
steelgtr is offline Find More Posts by steelgtr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2005, 07:21 PM
sno
winds a blow'n Im a go'n!
The Sticks!! Central Oregon
Joined Mar 2005
994 Posts
Heck ya! I just got a Slick Extreme flying a week ago or so.
Great plane! Quick build. Cheap components.
So light as long as you kill the power when you crash it hasnt hurt it yet!
Aspecially if you can find some tall grass to crash into!
I almost got the Hover dialed. I found it liked the batt mounted up high.
I use a small 20turn cdrom and 480-830 2s batt's.
Gotta love the 20min flights on the bigger batts!
sno is offline Find More Posts by sno
Old Apr 24, 2005, 09:25 PM
Joined Sep 2003
817 Posts
Is this plane EPS (breakable) or EPP (break resistant) foam?

Thanks.
rcmann is offline Find More Posts by rcmann
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:04 PM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2005
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmann
Is this plane EPS (breakable) or EPP (break resistant) foam?

Thanks.
6mm depron fuse, 3mm the rest. Like the above post said, it's so light that just about any throttle off landing is zero damage and I've done a bunch

bob
steelgtr is offline Find More Posts by steelgtr
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:44 PM
sno
winds a blow'n Im a go'n!
The Sticks!! Central Oregon
Joined Mar 2005
994 Posts
Ya..I have repeatedly punished the ground with this plane.
So far 1 cracked wingtip and I snapped loose the carbon fiber wing brace from the LE a couple times....both these are 10second fixes.

Only bad trait that I have found so far is it wants to roll out of an outside loop. Tighter the loop the more it will drop a wing. I am experimenting a bit with adding some weight to the wing that isnt dropping and it is about fixed.
Dunno if I messed up building it or what. But I almost got er!
sno is offline Find More Posts by sno
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:40 AM
Southern Ohio
Joined Nov 2004
4 Posts
Slick Extreme And Randy From M-A-E.com

Gotta plug the Slick Extreme and Randy from M-A-E.com...

I've had my Slick Extreme for over three months now. I outfitted it with the Westport Cdrom motor, 700 2s lipoly, Three blue bird servos, the bluebird reciever and micro antenna, and Phoenix 10 esc. AUW came in at 6 oz's. The build was fast. I think what took the most time on the build was the color scheme. I moved the battery as far forward as I could. With this configuration the CG comes in about an inch behind whats recommended. It flies so well like this I haven't experimented any furrther with the CG.

Randy was the best, before, during, and after I bought the kit. I would email him with a question, and before I would get offline, I would have a relpy!

I have to say that I like the Extreme better than some of the other faomies I've tried. I give Randy and his team a thumbs up for supplying us with such a good flying foamy and all necessary equipement at a reasonable price. The support you get from him and his staff is unprecidented! Shipping time and communication was the best I've seen.

Thanks Randy!!

I included a few pics of the finished project. Thought I would share a photo of equipment placement. Enjoy!
jbissantz is offline Find More Posts by jbissantz
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:15 PM
ProBro # 501
Austin Tx
Joined Jul 2005
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbissantz
Gotta plug the Slick Extreme and Randy from M-A-E.com...

I've had my Slick Extreme for over three months now. I outfitted it with the Westport Cdrom motor, 700 2s lipoly, Three blue bird servos, the bluebird reciever and micro antenna, and Phoenix 10 esc. AUW came in at 6 oz's. The build was fast. I think what took the most time on the build was the color scheme. I moved the battery as far forward as I could. With this configuration the CG comes in about an inch behind whats recommended. It flies so well like this I haven't experimented any furrther with the CG.

Randy was the best, before, during, and after I bought the kit. I would email him with a question, and before I would get offline, I would have a relpy!

I have to say that I like the Extreme better than some of the other faomies I've tried. I give Randy and his team a thumbs up for supplying us with such a good flying foamy and all necessary equipement at a reasonable price. The support you get from him and his staff is unprecidented! Shipping time and communication was the best I've seen.

Thanks Randy!!

I included a few pics of the finished project. Thought I would share a photo of equipment placement. Enjoy!
I have to agree...Randy and the Slick are both top notch.. I noticed you are using BlueBird servos..you like??

Boss
Boss248 is offline Find More Posts by Boss248
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:36 PM
Clinton,CT
Joined Aug 2004
242 Posts
Very NICE! Slick Your gonna love the way it flies. Great machine inside or out and Boss I"ve been using the 306 BlueBird servo's on my Slick Extreme and other planes I have with zero trouble. Priced right excellent torque and speed plus excellent centering. Good Luck Yogi
Yogi1 is offline Find More Posts by Yogi1
Old Nov 30, 2005, 03:00 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,231 Posts
Yes, the Slick is a great little plane. Of all the foamies i had, it was my favorite one. I had 2 and flew and beat every bit of them. Only thing I would do to increase strenght is to make a slot and glue a 4mm CF tube along the fuse. It's a tough little plane because of the low inertia, but the fuse on both Slicks I had broke at the same spot right behind the wing TE line after a good crash. Good thing, all you gotta do is glue it back and you're flying in no time again.
Malves is offline Find More Posts by Malves
Old Nov 30, 2005, 07:47 PM
Southern Ohio
Joined Nov 2004
4 Posts
I agree with Yogi on the Blue Bird Servos...The recievers are equally good in my opinion. No complaints. I can take the Extreme to a speck in the sky and still have control.

I also agree on strengthening the fuse with CF....Mine had a bow in it after assymbly. All I had to do was take a monokote iron and straighten it. But I could see where a good crash might break it. Luckily I haven't done that yet!

I have several different foamies and the Extreme is my favorite too. You won't find a better guy to work with than Randy...If anybody gets one of his little planes, they won't be disappointed!

Jeff
jbissantz is offline Find More Posts by jbissantz
Old Dec 02, 2005, 06:20 AM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,159 Posts
Guys... thanks for the accolades
Glad you're enjoying your SLICKs. We think it's the best aerobat for CDR power, but then... we may be biased
And now you get FREE shipping on combos through Christmas

Randy
Model Airplane Engineering
rcflyer11 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer11
Old Dec 02, 2005, 08:26 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42
Syracuse, NY
Joined May 2005
1,616 Posts
Gotta join in. Flew my Slick X for the second time yesterday at my indoor club. Finally got it all dialed in. It's such a great little floater! I didn't go nuts with it as I am new to indoor ( walls, ceiling), but I can tell it will not be rivaled by any of my other foamies. It was by far the most capable bird there. Several people came over and asked "What is that!?!". Even the guys who only fly pico sticks wrote down the website. They were very impressed. They liked the flat spin from the ceiling to 3 feet of the floor, into a hover+tq roll.

Here's the best part. As I started exploring the gym a bit more, I was heading towards a bball hoop in a hover. I intended to go under it and come back around. I misjudged a bit and got the prop caught in the net. I thought it was stuck so I started walking towards it. Just then, the net let go and the slick fell to the ground hitting nose first from 10ft. I probably would have had time to recover had I not expected it to stay tangled. Anyways, here's what I'm getting to, 10ft fall, nose into gym floor, damage....... half of the left wing's flat carbon rod came off. That's it! Motor mount was fine. 3 drops of glue was all I needed. No other foamie I own would have survided that with so little damage. Fantastic!

Here's my setup:
Westport 25T
GWS 10X6
Bluebird 4.6g Rx
3 GWS pico servos
Thunderbird 9A
Kokham 2S 340mA 20C

Total weight is just under 5 oz (138grams), with homemade LG. Plus triangle stock under the wing and tail.
Hugequark is offline Find More Posts by Hugequark