HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2005, 06:24 AM
built flown + crashed it
Pewsey, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Oct 2004
408 Posts
Build Log
Jart build in UK

I have read the threads, seen the vid`s, gotta have one. Really like the idea of doing a build thread, usually i build and fly on my own, so miss out on feedback and encouragement. Hope its not one jart build too many for you all, but i need your encouragement to keep the project moving, so all feedback welcome.
I haven`t got any cad stuff, i build on a budget so downloaded the pdf file from reed`s site and got the wallpaper, ruler and pencil out.
Design wise, i have made the fuz 50mm wide at its widest point, i think the original is wider, but that is the thickness of my foam, looks ok to me.Apart from that, and maybe some small variations in the outline where i havent scaled it up exactly i expect, i will go for a standart version with probably a lighter wing loading as i tend to fly off hills rather than mountains.
thermaled is offline Find More Posts by thermaled
Last edited by thermaled; Dec 23, 2005 at 05:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2005, 06:51 AM
Tearing the Skies a new one...
Sweden: Ystad
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Excellent!!! I'm sure we're all Looking forward to watching another of these beauties take shape!!

Look out for a "JART in Sweden" thread starting before too long.... Who'll fly first?

N.
Sensiblenick is offline Find More Posts by Sensiblenick
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:55 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,894 Posts
It'll be nice if Reed makes a mold to offer fuses for sale. I'll be one of the first customers!

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Apr 24, 2005, 02:06 PM
built flown + crashed it
Joined Oct 2004
408 Posts
Hi Target,
i think Reed wants it to be an exclusive owners club, he who makes one owns one, no selling i am afraid. Mine is gonna come from a mold though, which brings me nicely to the question about mold materials. I have only made them from polyester so far, they are a bit fragile round the edges when i pull parts, if made from epoxy i presume they are much tougher but is it worth it? I am probably only going to make 5 or 6. Of course it is accident dependant, but how many Jart`s does one man need?
Old Apr 24, 2005, 02:18 PM
built flown + crashed it
Joined Oct 2004
408 Posts
Got the fuz just about shaped, i make my plugs from foam, 4oz glass and lots of elbow work. No bandsaw, foam is cheap and i have plenty. Need to make up my wing and tail templates this evening.
Cant stop looking at it, such a gorgeous shape, power to you Reed.

Ps all work done so far with a saw and sandpaper glued on a block. You dont need expensive tools, just desire and effort.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 02:36 PM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermaled
i tend to fly off hills rather than mountains.

Whats that got to do with anything?

I fly my Rodent of 'Hills' all the time. And Reed sure as hell isn't up a mountain in any of his videos!
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
Old Apr 24, 2005, 04:58 PM
Tearing the Skies a new one...
Sweden: Ystad
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Have a gander at the "Yak attack" video on Reed's page... For me, looking DOWN onto 3 Yak 52's while they play around makes the hill look kinda big.

I know what thermalled means. Reed's launch technique would see any plane of mine burried in the ground and out of the lift before redd even thinks of pulling up. I also fly on small hills. The moors around Huddersfield and the dam up at Shipley make the swedish coastline look positively mole-hillish. I'd imagine that andover hasn't got so much to offer either.

The advangtage of building a JART using a mould will be the ability to layer up a light yet strong Fus... I for one look forward to seeing Thermaled's results.. as I started cutting the blanks for my mould Plug yesterday...
Sensiblenick is offline Find More Posts by Sensiblenick
Old Apr 24, 2005, 05:25 PM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,012 Posts
About the most fun I ever had with the Rodent fully ballasted (8lb AUW) was on a 20ft coastal cliff in 40mph winds. Silky smooth air and massive halfpipes. Had me wishing I could ballast it even more!
All I'm saying is that you don't need a mountain to get the best out of a model like the Jart. You just have to be smart with what you've got. In my experience there is no substitute for wing loading in a model of this ilk to get the best from them. It's not a toy for light and scratchy days so why build it so?
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
Old Apr 24, 2005, 05:53 PM
If its blown Im slop'n
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2004
402 Posts
Jarts galoure!!!

Well it now starting to roll a long with Jarts taking of all around the world
Reed will be most inpressed as long as No one sells any of them!!!!
I for one would like to be one of only a hand full of people to have one.
Slopetrashuk is right this is a plane for those days when the lift is at its best, when you have big sky to play with . My only concern is landing on our smaller landing zones so it will be set up with flaps or air brakes!!

Rick.
1 zipper is offline Find More Posts by 1 zipper
Old Apr 24, 2005, 06:02 PM
built flown + crashed it
Joined Oct 2004
408 Posts
I take you point Slopetrash, i can mess about with the loading when i lay up the fuz and glass the wings, plenty of time to think about it.
I was initially thinking about 18oz loading, built with lots of carbon so i can really ballast it up when the wind really blows, i will put a big ballast tube in it. Should get it up to 30oz loading or so.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 06:05 PM
built flown + crashed it
Joined Oct 2004
408 Posts
What loading have you built your Jart with 1Zipper? and how much ballast will it carry as it is all carbon?
Old Apr 24, 2005, 06:13 PM
If its blown Im slop'n
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2004
402 Posts
3 jart threads in a row!!!!!
1 zipper is offline Find More Posts by 1 zipper
Last edited by 1 zipper; Apr 24, 2005 at 06:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old Apr 25, 2005, 02:30 AM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,026 Posts
Great to see the builders coming out of the woodworks!

That's no slight to those who don't have a good situation for building or who would just rather not, but the Jart was designed to be a super-simple build and it's good to see a few guys give it a shot.

Have at it, thermaled, it's fun to watch. And if I can be of any help as you go along, let me know.
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Apr 25, 2005, 02:35 AM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,026 Posts
So far everyone has been very understanding about this and I really appreciate it. It doesn't mean I'll never sell any but in the meantime I'd rather no one else sold any, and I like the idea that only those who put the effort into scratch-building them get to fly them. It may not always be that way, but those building Jarts now are certainly a discriminating vanguard. I hope the design lives up to your expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermaled
i think Reed wants it to be an exclusive owners club, he who makes one owns one, no selling i am afraid.
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Apr 25, 2005, 08:18 AM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,742 Posts
[QUOTE=Reed]Great to see the builders coming out of the woodworks!

but the Jart was designed to be a super-simple build and it's good to see a few guys give it a shot.

Simple but time consuming, which makes it all worth wile.
Oh and I wouldn't want to sell it after all that work.
Glenn
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER