SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:42 PM
The Original Slacker
Bristol, TN
Joined Apr 2005
768 Posts
Yippee!
48" Overlord by Edge RC / Build and maiden report.

Over the pass week and after about 10+ hours of too much worry and stress I completed and flew my Edge RC 48" Overlord today. Finished and flew it same day is correct when I put the finishing touches on her about 2am this morning.

It was remarkable. My instructor and LHS "out of a truck" guy talked me out of buddy boxing me because he wanted to work with a newbie and I can already fly my Easy Star well. So there I was freaking out and figuring there would be total disaster after I try and heave this thing into the air. I do it anyway. After taking about two steps forward while yelling "LAUNCHING" I give her a strong toss up and away at about a 15* angle. She settles into a nice glide and I even pause a split second to admire the long slope she is following when my buddy and senses tell me to hit the gas. The stock SpeedWings.com 400 growls to life and off she goes at a good 30-35* climb out.

I let her build up a bit a speed before my first nervous turn. Nothing bad is happing as she banks slowly and carves a nice even turn with a bit a backpressure. Two clicks of left and she is cruising hands-off at half throttle. My friend is asking to check out how she flies, as this is the first Overlord in our area. I get the wing level and hand off the Flash 5x and grab my camera for a photo op. Taking a few pictures as Phil drives my wing around the sky and says right away what I noticed also. “She flies beautifully Dave but there is no were near enough control throw.” This was on high rates too. I tell Phil to go ahead and land her so I can get a real low pass picture and move the clevises down.

After moving the controls for more throw I flew about half a 1950 NiMh (10-15min) starting to bank harder in turns and my kid comes up to tell me he has to pee. Soooooo I cut the throttle and do a hard left turn while dropping down into the gully were the creek bed is about 300 feet away. So here she is gliding up hill right to left and still managed to get all the way to a nice lading at my feet. Whew! Glad that is over with and I am so happy the balance and trim was spot on. A bit later the winds picked up and I did the greatest thing ever: Slope Soaring.

Yep, there is a great hill near our park field that when the winds are westerly you can get some decent lift off of that mini valley. I few for about 45 minutes on that same battery only need to hit the motor to get me out of trouble. That is the most wonderful feeling to just hang on the breeze and running close to the ridgeline looking for up drafts. Could have flown all day on that battery I think if the wife hadn’t called to ask when I would be done.

Very fun day indeed. Build report and captions to follow.

happy camper

-Dave

Specs at a glance:
Model and span = Edge RC "Overlord" 48" span
AUW = 30oz
Motor = www.CombatWings.com stock speed 400 brushed (untimed)
Prop = Gunther 5x4
ESC = 25 Amp LiPo / NiMh compatable
Flight battery tested = 8 cell 1950 mah NiMh (11.3 oz)
Receiver = HiTech 555 FM
Servos = 2x HiTech HS-81
Covering meathod = 2 inch and 1 inch fiber tape fo reinforcment and standard 2.2 mil colored packing tape for covering. 3M Super 77 used throughout tapping process.

>these are the wings halves and motor mount area reinforcement<
Pezzer is offline Find More Posts by Pezzer
Last edited by Pezzer; Apr 25, 2005 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spelling / bad title
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:46 PM
The Original Slacker
Bristol, TN
Joined Apr 2005
768 Posts
>ok those last ones were right after the fiber tape and 3m. Here are the final covering and cutting of the servos / electronics. I also desided to mount the motor<
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:55 PM
The Original Slacker
Bristol, TN
Joined Apr 2005
768 Posts
>AUW is right about 30oz with a 8-cell 1950mah HiMh onboard. Here I am at the local park flying field and a few of her in the air and first low pass and landing. I am just so impressed with how stable and well she flew even with low throws and gusty winds (20mph+). This is exactly what I wanted in my first flying wing and maybe first RC plane in general. The Overlord from Edge RC is another Justin Ammon hit. Er', one of his first hits actully.

Get one, you will LOVE it!

-Dave
Last edited by Pezzer; Apr 24, 2005 at 02:52 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:01 AM
The Original Slacker
Bristol, TN
Joined Apr 2005
768 Posts
Thank you Phil of www.KitesPlus.com / LHS in a truck guy for making this dream happen. Had so much fun it should have been illegal! Darn good time and I love my life again...

-Dave
Old Apr 24, 2005, 09:06 AM
Long Island, NY
Joined Dec 2004
373 Posts
Thanks for sharing build/maiden info and pics.

Cute kid.

I like the yellow, red and blue color-scheme.

Did you build in that plywood piece in the middle or was that included in the kit? If you put it in yourself, why did you do so?

Don't know if I should get an Overlord or a Devastator; decisions decisions......
don_craig is offline Find More Posts by don_craig
Old Apr 24, 2005, 01:11 PM
The Original Slacker
Bristol, TN
Joined Apr 2005
768 Posts
Thanks Craig.

Yeah I debated for hours it seemed on the color until I desided to just use primary colors. I did want the wings diffrent color to help with orintation (really does help).

The plywood piece was just cut from a larger section for reinforcing the wing for combat and hard crashing and did not come with the kit. It was completely overkill accouding to Justin at Edge RC but this was just an experment. Prolly much better to just use extra fiber tape layers on the motor mount area. We went this was to see how it would work out and this is my first kit build and flying wing both. Heck this is my first non-trainer actully. So the extra effort was to prep me for harder builds as well.

If you want a more dosile and slightly slower flying wing then the 48" Overlord is your firend. If you are ready for it and want full tilt performance and speed then the 36" Devistator is the fastest but I still like the 48" version for the larger wing area and slightly better turning ability. The ultimate in combat performance is the 'Bird of Prey' by Edge RC. Fast and fun but with it's forward sweeping wings it can turn inside everybody and retain much better speed doing so. To sum up:

48" Overlord = Great training wing for a first time flyer that can be hot rodded for excellent performance.

36" (fastest) or 48" (best turner) Devistator = Fasting wing on the market some say and the highest level of performance possible with a wing.

48" Bird of Prey = The best combat platform out there. In fact I know a guy who flies one and no one will do combat with him any more (with his PoB) because they say it's unfair. lol

There ya' go and you can't go wrong with Edge RC!

-Dave
Last edited by Pezzer; Apr 24, 2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 06:33 PM
Bought at a price.
Winfield, Kansas, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,570 Posts
Glad to hear about your experiences. I've said it before, but one of these days, I would like to try a Devastator.

I'd never thought of different wing colors as an aid to orientation. Maybe for my next build. If you don't mind me saying, the first thing that I thought of when I saw it was the Partridge Family.

Sorry........not very macho...........but...........Come on get Happy!

Brad
777 is offline Find More Posts by 777
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:39 PM
The Original Slacker
Bristol, TN
Joined Apr 2005
768 Posts
It's ok triple 7. I have been married way too long to worry about the color of my wing being "macho" or not. Went for the high visibility.

And with a Devistator setup correctly you can "Come on get Happy! " Great high performance wing.

-Dave
Old Apr 25, 2005, 05:07 PM
The Original Slacker
Bristol, TN
Joined Apr 2005
768 Posts
Just flew during lunch break. Got about 15-20 min with some throttle managment so that should be about 10-12 at WOT. Not too shabby. Now I just need a second pack so I can fly my whole lunch hour!

It happened again today. There I was getting pretty good at carving nice even figure eight patterns when it hit me: "I need more power than this". WTF am I saying! Just gave my Easy Star to the 9 year old so I could upgrade to this. Even though it flies great on the speed 400, I do now see why Chuck D was going though this hot rodding trip also.

Now I just got to figure out how to come up with the $150-200 for a Mega 16/15/4 and a 35 amp brushless ESC. Geez...

-Dave
Old Apr 26, 2005, 01:33 AM
Dont get Lippy!
United States, AZ, Cottonwood
Joined Apr 2004
101 Posts
Awesome lookin bird Dave! and welcome to the wing club! lol grrreat aint it?
brings a whole new feeling to flying fer shur.
lol i knew it wouldnt take ya long to start dreamin of some real horsepower under the hood, unfortunatly that is where the big bucks come in but the Overlord is soo much fun with some juice. although Ill have to try and see whats it like flying at 30oz flying weight....mine is only a crack over 18oz

yer colors look great too...good orientation is key for wings(i did my tips just plain orange which really helps,but even brighter might be better..like flourescent pink, green or red)
~Craig
omni99 is offline Find More Posts by omni99
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:58 AM
The Original Slacker
Bristol, TN
Joined Apr 2005
768 Posts
Craig,

How the heck did you get yours down to 18oz?! Oh I think you are using LiPo's instead of my heavy NiMh. My battery alone is around 11+ oz but I can't afford the better batts yet. Yeah she doesn't want to roll in her current configuration but I wanted somthing I could fly without a instructor on a buddybox.

The weight was nice in the high winds slope site...

-Dave
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:53 PM
Dont get Lippy!
United States, AZ, Cottonwood
Joined Apr 2004
101 Posts
yea...lipo(5oz) plus the outrunner(1.75oz) is my main weight saving, that and I was a lil light on the tape and spar epoxy. im curious...whats yer CG at?
omni99 is offline Find More Posts by omni99
Old Apr 27, 2005, 01:01 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezzer
Craig,

How the heck did you get yours down to 18oz?! Oh I think you are using LiPo's instead of my heavy NiMh. My battery alone is around 11+ oz but I can't afford the better batts yet. Yeah she doesn't want to roll in her current configuration but I wanted somthing I could fly without a instructor on a buddybox.

The weight was nice in the high winds slope site...

-Dave
You want to stay nimh for now, anyways, even if you could afford it. Lipo's are famous for turning into accordians during rapid declleration due to unexpexpected arrivals.

In other words, you crash real hard and the lipos go to the trash. Especially when you go BL.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:09 AM
The Original Slacker
Bristol, TN
Joined Apr 2005
768 Posts
Update:

Did get a roll out of her after grabbing some alt and doing a shallow dive to build speed for the manuver.

Good point Alex. I will prolly just stick with NiMh for now. When I get better and richer then I will look into LiPo's.

-Dave
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:45 AM
The Original Slacker
Bristol, TN
Joined Apr 2005
768 Posts
Right about slightly aft of the 7 1/4 inch mark Justin recomended in the instructions. I taped a pencil at that mark and put it on a flat level surface. I messed with the battery posision until it seemed close and she flew great with it there. As I desire more control I might try pushing that back a bit. Will shal see...

I prolly will stick with this weight through the brushless as I will end up with a Mega 16/15/4 and wont be able to shave weight off both sides of the CG yet. It seems the only way to shave weight and keep the performance up is to go your route Omni.

BTW how did you mount the Outrunner?

They seem real wide for that motor mount or did you fab your own mount?

-Dave