Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 23, 2005, 06:27 PM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
Help me build my ION.....

I am beggining my ION build and have some construction and mod queries.

First of all, the kit is very complete down to the servo wires needed to extend the original servo lead from the wing to the receiver, nice.

1) Does it make sense to replace the steel wing joiner with a carbon bar?
2) Would you replace the wood dowels for the wing into carbon rods?
3) Would you twist/braid the servo leads for the wings (making it harder to put them in there)?
4) Would you do a glide test?
5) Is goop strong enough for the elevator servo or do I need to put in a block of wood, in addition, to screw the servo to (HS56 Karbonite)?
6) What is the best way to cut elevator servo bay access hatch (It really matters to me that it is perfectly round).

Rgds, bing
BING! is offline Find More Posts by BING!
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2005, 07:28 PM
corrupted - 17x18 or more
College Park, Maryland, United States
Joined Nov 2003
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BING!
I am beggining my ION build and have some construction and mod queries.

First of all, the kit is very complete down to the servo wires needed to extend the original servo lead from the wing to the receiver, nice.

1) Does it make sense to replace the steel wing joiner with a carbon bar?
2) Would you replace the wood dowels for the wing into carbon rods?
3) Would you twist/braid the servo leads for the wings (making it harder to put them in there)?
4) Would you do a glide test?
5) Is goop strong enough for the elevator servo or do I need to put in a block of wood, in addition, to screw the servo to (HS56 Karbonite)?
6) What is the best way to cut elevator servo bay access hatch (It really matters to me that it is perfectly round).

Rgds, bing
1) absolutely not
2) I did only after breaking the wood dowls, but that was a pretty bad crash! I would not do it to start out with.
3) Why bother twisting the wires, theory is not as good as experience.
4) You cannot throw the model hard enough for a glide test. I NEVER glide test an electric model. You have a motor!
5) Just goop is good enough. Just roughen both servo and inside of tail where gluing.
6) Dremel tool with a router bit, free hand following a laid out circle.

Don, who enjoyed his Ion with a B50-LMR, 12 GP3300's on a 16.5x15 Aeronaut prop on a 5 degree twisted yoke yielding an over square prop. It was one fast plane which still termaled and landed slow. Good enough for 2nd place at the first VA F5B contest.
eye_rc_soar is offline Find More Posts by eye_rc_soar
Old Apr 23, 2005, 07:56 PM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
Thanks. Makes my life easier, rather than sitting here convincing myself to make a trip to T&A's hobbys shop for $ 30.00 of carbon.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 09:18 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,683 Posts
BING! Just build it. The ONLY think you need to know is that the CG is REALLY at 90mm. Otherwise build it stock. HOOT/ION is one of the more enjoyable builds I have done...
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Apr 23, 2005, 09:32 PM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,250 Posts
Here's the link to my Hoot build thread. Same plane, different name.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217015
SPasierb is online now Find More Posts by SPasierb
Old May 03, 2005, 10:25 PM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
I am in the process of installing the elevator servo and the elevator control horn....

1) I usually attach the horn near the hinge line, but, in the Quiet Flyer review/article, the elevator control horn is closer to the trailing edge of the elevator. Is the the right way to do it?

2) The instructions say to glue the plastic elevator clevis to the music wire leading to the elevator. What!?! Will CA hold in such an application? Or should I go out and buy a threaded rod or maybe put a Z bend on both ends?

Thanks, Bing
Old May 03, 2005, 11:31 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye_rc_soar
1) on a 16.5x15 Aeronaut prop on a 5 degree twisted yoke yielding an over square prop.
measured pitch on that prop is only about 12. With the +5 yoke you then have just about a square prop...
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
Old May 06, 2005, 10:46 AM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
Everthing is set, 'cept for the speedo, reciever and battery installation. Waiting on Kwilliby for some battery placement tips. Aileron servos gooped, elevator screwed on and gooped. Strapping is for leverage in case I need to service the servos. I'll do the decals and some graphics after the maiden this saturday. Wish me luck!
Old May 06, 2005, 02:35 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
80 Posts
The build looks great! Good job and I hope the maiden is event-free. I do have to comment on post #2. I think a test glide is crucial, and certainly easy enough with an electric glider. I had someone give mine a nice strong level push into a field with deep grass and found out my trim was way off. Without the test glide, the plane would have augered into the ground with motor on and at higher speed. There's no reason not to do this unless you have 27 cells crammed into an F5B ship with a blade-thin wing.

Alright, flame away and sorry for the hijack.
psoutowood is offline Find More Posts by psoutowood
Old May 06, 2005, 09:26 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Bah, test gliding is for wimps
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old May 06, 2005, 09:36 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,713 Posts
you will probably do more damage test gliding then just powering up the plane and flying it!!
shhhhh! is online now Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old May 06, 2005, 10:29 PM
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
Joined Aug 2002
656 Posts
bing; hope my picture helps a bit. your setup is almost exactly the one i have, same battery etc. and you have my plastic airplane cradle to boot! good luck! you'll love the plane.
kwilliby is offline Find More Posts by kwilliby
Old May 09, 2005, 11:48 PM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
Hello kwilliby,

I did a mock set up and put the ION on the CG machine. It seems the HS56HB servo in the elevator instead of your HS81 shifted the weight such that the front of the pack is only around 2 inches forward of the 90mm CG, well inside the wing saddle area. I also have heavier HS125MGs in the wing vs. yer HS 81s which pushes the wieght to the front even more.

I moved the front of the 7 inch battery tray to just below the canopy opening instead of your 1.5 inches. Good thing I tested it as you suggested or the battery would have been at the end of the tray without much room for moving the CG further back if needed.

I got the flu this weekend, couldnt do the final radio install, and missed my birthday maiden. Next saturday will be the day, better late than never. I officially finished the ION tonight.

Thanks!

bing
Last edited by BING!; May 09, 2005 at 11:59 PM.
Old May 09, 2005, 11:52 PM
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
Joined Aug 2002
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BING!
Hello kwilliby,

I did a mock set up and put the ION on the CG machine. It seems the HS56HB servo in the back instead of your HS85 shifted the weight such that the pack is only just forward of the 90mm CG. I moved the front of the 7 inch battery tray to just below the canopy opening. Good thing I did that or the battery would have been at the end of the tray without much room for moving the Cg further back.

Thanks!

bing

glad you tried it before glueing it in. i forgot about your lighter servo in the tail. my hs81 is a bit heavier and did cause me to have to move the battery further forward.

i think you'll find that 90mm flies great. at 75mm mine felt really nose heavy. thanks to soho for the tip on the cg.

sounds like you are getting close to the maiden flight. let me know how it goes.
kwilliby is offline Find More Posts by kwilliby
Old May 10, 2005, 03:53 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Of all the luck!.. You finish the plane and then can't fly it cause of the flu!. Maybe you got the flu because you didn't sleep since you got the plane?
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic