HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2005, 01:19 AM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,119 Posts
FIBAFILM by solarfilm

Does anyone know anything about fibafilm. I bought a few rolls last week. I've never used it before & am about to with a 30'' span FF power model. Any words of advice?
Snorks is offline Find More Posts by Snorks
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2005, 04:57 PM
Cheshire England
Joined Apr 2004
41 Posts
Hi. Snorks.
I have used a fair bit of Fibafilm and have found it very good. light and reasonably tough and looks like well doped Tissue. It has no adhesive coating and so an adhesive has to be applied to the framework. balslock is the adhesive made for it which is heat activated when dry.
the covering should be applied with the grain running spanwise and lengthways on the fuselage. Like tissue you must work out all the wrinkles and get the film as tight as possible as there is not too much shrinkage when heat is applied. I do not use a heat gun on Fibafilm, only a teflon coated covering iron. Persevere, the effort is worth it.
Here is a picture of a model covered in Fibafilm. Sorry I know it isn't Vintage.
Norman M.
Norman M is offline Find More Posts by Norman M
Old Apr 24, 2005, 08:58 PM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Is FibaFilm the same as MicaFilm (in US)?
fliir is offline Find More Posts by fliir
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:25 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2000
1,129 Posts
Fibafilm and Micafilm are same thing. I actually ordered Fibafilm from Balsapr and a couple of the rolls were labelled as Micafilm
JeffD is offline Find More Posts by JeffD
Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:20 AM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,119 Posts
Thanks boys, I'll let you know how I get on with it.
Snorks is offline Find More Posts by Snorks
Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:54 AM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
I've heard good things about the strength of MicaFilm. I have never used it, but it should provide a good covering.

My personal favorite is Polyspan

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334824
fliir is offline Find More Posts by fliir
Old Apr 27, 2005, 06:27 AM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,964 Posts
Dear JeffD, Interesting but assume that Micafilm must have changed since I last puchased some as the stuff I have left in my covering drawer is very definitely not Fibafilm. Different feel and texture. The samples I have are quite different but maybe it's down to me buying in bulk some years ago.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Apr 27, 2005, 07:33 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2000
1,129 Posts
Dave, Fibafilm and Micafilm I have are definately the same stuff. Ordered a bunch of red. Some was labeled fibafilm, some was labelled micafilm. Also had some red micafilm from a few years ago and it was the same as the red fibafilm I just got.
JeffD is offline Find More Posts by JeffD
Old Apr 27, 2005, 07:28 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Is Fibafilm a vintage covering material or does it involve vintage methods of application? Please limit discussion in this forum to relevent topics. I know that an on-topic discussion can stray off topic but I'm not sure if this one fits here at all.

If your topic is not vintage or oldtimer, and it is of general interest, it would be better to discuss it in a forum of the appropriate category so that others who might be interested in that topic can benefit.
Thanks.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Apr 27, 2005, 07:45 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
Well, it is more or less the modern replacement in looks, texture, weight and approximate strength to doped tissue, along with Litespan.

So I think it is relevant to people building reproduction vintage models. Which is all I do to be honest.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Apr 27, 2005, 08:01 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
I will let the discussion remain here if it is about the vintage model and not just about a generic modern covering material. Otherwise it has no more vintage interest than a discussion about monokote (which some modelers also like to apply to vintage airframes).
Old Apr 27, 2005, 08:19 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
*blush* I admit it. My black magic is covered in solarfilm.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 09:48 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
vintage1, your Black Magic is a fine looking model and a nice build job too. I daresay a good old-fashioned silkspan or doped silk covering job would compliment it quite well.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 02:30 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
It's been a fair bit of time since I did doped silk. Tough as old boots.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 03:23 AM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,964 Posts
Thank the Lord I'm not too precious about what constitutes vintage or not. I've been building what may be considered vintage models F/F, C/L and R/C for over fifty years and choose to use whatever I deem to be appropriate. Fond as I am of doped tissue and silk modern fabrics and iron-ons can also often produce exactly the results I desire. As for beginners who may be tempted to dip their toe in the vintage water as it were these can offer good, durable attractive results applied in a manner with which they may be familiar. I for one would choose to encourage rather than discriminate.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson