SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 25, 2001, 12:17 AM
Professional Goofball
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Dec 2000
1,001 Posts
How did you get your Indoor Flying Site???

If anyone out there has started an indoor club and has gained access to a gymnasium or hanger I would like to talk to you. How did you go about getting it? How much do you pay if anything at all? I have found most places want between $50.00 and $100.00 an hour and this is way too much. I have been very fortunate to find a Church gymnasium that has so far been free but will be $30.00 an hour the next time and for each time there after. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jeffrey Park
OCModels is offline Find More Posts by OCModels
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2001, 03:28 AM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,559 Posts
Jeffrey,

A good candidate for an indoor flying site is a gymnasium that's run by the city. I have flown in such gyms in two different cities.

The gym at the Bedford Boys Ranch in Bedford, TX is part of a city owned/operated recreation center. They allow us 3 hours every Thursday morning (if school is in session) for free-flight, and another 3 ours in the afternoon (if school is in session) for RC. This is all free of charge. If school's not in session, the younger "kids" get to use it.

The other gym I fly in regularly is also part of a city owned/operated recreation center. It is in Clovis, NM. I simply walked in early one morning (no crowds then) and asked the guy in charge if I could get in a little practice. He said "Sure, any time no one else is using it, go right ahead.".

I also got lucky and talked the owner of a skating rink into letting me fly during the day if no one was using it. At night it costs 25 dollars per hour for the lights, and that's fixing to increase. If you grab a bunch of guys to go with you to share the cost, it's not too bad.

Also had some friends clear out a hangar at Addison airport in Dallas, so we could fly one evening. We had to help move the "big ones" around. Oh, darn. 8-)

Try some other churches, also. Try any place that's large enough to fly in.

Good luck finding a place.

Gary
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan