HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2005, 10:25 AM
Florida
Joined Jan 2002
353 Posts
Apogee build thread

Guys,

I have been posting all over about the Apogee and now that i have my parts made Im going to consolidate the rest of my efforts / questions posts here I hope !

Thanks Dr. D for answering so many of my questions.....

I am making a jig tonight to hold the boom and fuse at the proper angle so I can glue them

I am making a jig to glue the wings together.... BUT I have to figure out how I want to attach them and make a strong joint...

I will be machining my tail wings for the 2nd time tonight - the first ones I didnt like....

I am still debating on the reciever, and antenna issue - I have a 555, and a GWS.... I was only worried about saving some weight so I can see the planes true ability.....but worried about the GWS reciever....

Most work will be fuse work tonight....Im trying to figure out how I want to cram ll that stuff in there...
eightwgt is offline Find More Posts by eightwgt
Last edited by eightwgt; Apr 24, 2005 at 04:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2005, 10:45 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,433 Posts
Hello,

I have a GWS 4 channel receiver in my Pocket Combat Wing. It has worked great for me. I have heard it does not handle rejection too well, so if you fly with a lot of other pilots you might not want to consider it. But for the price, I found it great.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Apr 22, 2005, 11:12 AM
Gainesville, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2001
1,456 Posts
The GWS Rx should be fine... I haven't had any glitches with the 2 that I own. Plus, the 555 may have a hard tiem fitting in the fuse.

Gluing the wings together - just use 5 minute epoxy and add a patch of FG over the joint, top and bottom. It should be quite strong. On my DLGs I've also used a light ply "arm" that's cut to the dihedral and extends about an inch in either direction. A vertical slot is cut in each half, and this arm gives some glue surface to bond on to each wing.
stjobs is offline Find More Posts by stjobs
Old Apr 22, 2005, 11:35 AM
Florida
Joined Jan 2002
353 Posts
Dr D ? Are you listening ? What did you do with your antenna on your Apogee ??

Some say solder it on the wire push rod but what about the rest of it ??
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:50 PM
Cambridge, MA USA
Joined May 2001
1,737 Posts
I used one of the pushrods as the antenna. It's shorter than the ideal length, but you don't need all that much radio range with a plane this small.
markdrela is offline Find More Posts by markdrela
Old Apr 22, 2005, 01:01 PM
Florida
Joined Jan 2002
353 Posts
So you cut off the extra lenth I assume ?

Thanks Mark...
Old Apr 22, 2005, 02:45 PM
Florida
Joined Jan 2002
353 Posts
Well here we go........

Here are the 2 wings - my 'test wings' since this glider is my 'experimental'

You can see my boom - a kite boom from AVIA - The SkinnyUL

and my first painted fuse... I painted the mold with Krylon and did a normal layup... it added a gram though....

I am already heavy.... wings are 69 grams
But I will use a single cell lipo to save weight and maybe a GWS reciever (maybe)
Old Apr 22, 2005, 03:49 PM
Joined Sep 2001
1,456 Posts
The parts look great. How much does your boom weigh? I was recently doing some research for my 40" DLG and I went with the G-Force UL which is around 12 grams at 32.5". I'll cut it down to around 24", so it will probably be under 10 grams. I understand the Skinny is much lighter, but I wasn't sure if it would be stiff enough.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 04:04 PM
Florida
Joined Jan 2002
353 Posts
ST...

The boom skinny end weighs 3.2 grams..... its a little soft for a DLG though but Im only going to jav launch it so Ill be fine..... and Im tryin anything to keep weight down since Im not the pro at UL construction that Mark Drela is !

=)
Last edited by eightwgt; Apr 22, 2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 04:18 PM
Florida
Joined Jan 2002
353 Posts
Question for Mark D.

Just out of curiousity...... What would you consider to be the limit as far as weight goes for a 40" Apogee ?

I am curious - I have seen you post about it but never a limit...
Old Apr 22, 2005, 07:15 PM
Joined Jan 2004
54 Posts
Lookin nice. Oh, and where did you end up getting the boom? The avia distributor site?
macman01001 is offline Find More Posts by macman01001
Old Apr 22, 2005, 08:55 PM
Joined Sep 2001
1,456 Posts
What layup did you do on the wings? Also, are you using any spar or reinforcement other than the glass?

I just cut the cores for my 40" DLG, and they weigh 27.7 g. Did you write down how much yours weighed? I hope that I can keep my finished wing with peg under 60 grams. I plan to glass with a single layer of .75 oz fabric and WBPU. My objective for AUW is under 5 oz for this glider.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 09:07 PM
Florida
Joined Jan 2002
353 Posts
stobs

I didnt and cant really weigh the cores due to how I do it....

But my finished wings do not have spar caps / spars - nothing... Its only my 'test' p[lane before I really get serious !

My next will have carbon spars caps.....
Old Apr 22, 2005, 09:16 PM
Joined Sep 2001
1,456 Posts
I might try going without a spar on my wing. I made sure to orient the foam with the stronger grain running along the span, and it seems pretty rigid even without the glass. With glass, maybe I can save 5-6 grams and leave out the spar...
Old Apr 23, 2005, 09:54 AM
Florida
Joined Jan 2002
353 Posts
Here is the fuse with the top cut open so I can start the task of cramming everything in.... YUou can see I cut it open all the way so the wing sits down on it....

I reinforced the top (near the cut) with carbon tow but wished Id have added just a lil more.....but Im sure I am ok after a bulkhead goes in for the wing bolt

The bulkhead you see is what I will glue the boom end to... will be pretty strong I assume...