HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2001, 11:38 AM
Stuck in my wizard suit
Deale,MD,USA
Joined Apr 2001
155 Posts
What do I need to put a gearbox on my sky scooter??

I want to put a gearbox on my sky scooter but does the funtec gearbox come with the pinion gear for the motor or do you buy it seperate? if so where do you buy the gear? Thanks!

Alex
e-flyer is offline Find More Posts by e-flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2001, 11:47 AM
Ravenna, Ohio
Joined May 2001
3 Posts
Yes the funtech gear box does come with a pinion gear. I was somewhat disappointed with the gear box when I put it on. the Sky Scooter was slugish and slow. I took it off and went back to the zagi (Gunther) props, and added a cell to the battery pack. That helped. Since then I have gone back to the gear box, but put on a 9x6 prop, and now with the extra cel and bigger prop the combo really works.
Rferrante is offline Find More Posts by Rferrante
Old May 23, 2001, 11:54 AM
Stuck in my wizard suit
Deale,MD,USA
Joined Apr 2001
155 Posts
so the funtec one comes with 2 gears?

Alex
Old May 24, 2001, 12:41 AM
Stuck in my wizard suit
Deale,MD,USA
Joined Apr 2001
155 Posts
where did you buy yours?

Alex
Old May 24, 2001, 11:06 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,432 Posts
I bought one from Hobby People at the same price Hitec sells it for. I used a prop adaptor from Hobby Lobby for 4 mm that comes from Grauphner (SP?) and has 2 allen srews to hold it on. I used a 9 x 6 prop. Scooter no longer pulls to the left and it climbs like a different plane. Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2001, 10:57 PM
Joined Oct 2000
20 Posts
I'm using the Soarstar Motor and gearbox available from Horizon Hobby, 800-338-4639.
Motor / Gearbox (1.85:1??) part number SFM2032, $18.00.
Also, Prop part number SFM1003, $4.95. www.horizonhobby.com

Make sure you get the polarity right when you wire it up. The motor may have a red dot, but you may have to put a black (negative wire) to the red dot side to make the motor a puller instead of a pusher as on the Soarstar (a Wingo lookalike).

Also, I'm just using the 600 mah Sky Scooter Pro battery, didn't find a need to use anything else yet, if flys just fine.

I haven't ordered a replacement motor yet, but the original Soarstar motor I'm using came with a pre-soldered capacitor, a collar to contain / strengthen the magnetic forces, a decent gearbox, and a prop adapter and nut. The prop is an 8x7 I think and it works pretty well with the "stock" gearbox.

Also, put the prop shaft above the motor shaft when regluing the motor back in place.

I used hot glue and haven't had any melting problems yet, but others like silicone like is used around bathtubs that resists the heat of a hot motor better.

[This message has been edited by aesop0 (edited 05-25-2001).]
aesop0 is offline Find More Posts by aesop0
Old May 25, 2001, 12:45 AM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,893 Posts
I gave a co-worker a Kyosho Ferias gearbox (2.5:1) and 9x6 prop for his Sky Scooter Pro. On 8-cells of 500A NiCd, it flys very well.

Remember when going geared to add the 8th cell on that 7.2v motor.

Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar