HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2005, 09:05 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Jim Wilder tug

IT finaly got here, the tug I ordered on the 28th of march this is what was in the box. ( jpg) inclosed, It's a plank on plank, and should be fun, Iv'e not planked with balsa wood before but I don't think I'll have a problem with it. I will post as I go along. W.M.L.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2005, 10:04 PM
Custom Course Wrecker..
Joined Dec 2004
417 Posts
Jimm Wilder

Look forward to it. Is the kit ALL Balsa?

Scott
ThrustTugKeith is offline Find More Posts by ThrustTugKeith
Old Apr 22, 2005, 08:07 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Yes it is, And it's laminated with bass wood, plywood are the decks and cabin. I'll be starting work on the tug monday.
Last edited by ropanach; Apr 22, 2005 at 09:00 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 09:18 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Ok I couldn't wait untill monday. Iv'e lade out the plans and started putting down the two strong backs that came with the kit, sugjested in the instructions to cut this section of the plans away from the rest but I don't cut blue prents, I've got more than enuff room on my work bench to work it out, here's a pic of the strong backs. it looks like this is going to be a lottttt of fun.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 08:17 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
I'VE LAID THE STERN POST WITH RUDDER TUBE, TO LAY THE POST OUT STRIGHT, FLAT & SQUARE, i PUT IT ON A VERY FLAT SHEET OF 8 GAGE STAINLESS STEEL, IN THE BUILD MANUALE IT JUST SAID PUT IT TOGETHER AND THAT'S IT, BE AWARE THIS IS A THREE PART UNIT THAT MUST BE STRIGHT AND TRUE. i LAID IT OUT WITH A SMALL PIECE OF 60 GRIT SAND PAPER UNDER THE TUBE IT WAS THE RIGHT HIGHT TO CENTER THE TUB BETWEEN THE TWO OTHER PARTS, I PLACED THE SAND PAPER GRIT DOWN SO THE GRIT WOULDN'T STICK TO THE TUB AND COULD BE REMOVE, WITH AN RAZER KNIFE.
Last edited by ropanach; Apr 25, 2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 03:43 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
I've set the huul frames, It's stright forward prosess. before you set the keel clean up all conecting points as you can see in this pic they are not all the same, an emery board works great for this, ( don't tell my wife). Dry fit the parts, tap the keel down in gently so not to brake the frames loose from your strong backs, then remove and sand to fit, you don't want your keel to look like a snakes back. when ready glue an clamp. LOL.
Last edited by ropanach; Apr 25, 2005 at 03:48 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 04:12 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this one come together, ropanach!

By the way, where did you find this one? All of the places I've looked recently show it as 'out of stock'
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Apr 26, 2005, 03:12 AM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
I got this one from model expo , It was the last one they had. They said the box was damage but contence was ok, or I could wate until april first when they got in a new batch, but I coudn't wate. the price has gone up from $189.00 U.S. to $213.00 U.S. hope you find one the kit, this is going togther nicely, I also ordered a working smoke stack that mounts where the cabin skylight is located, I also ordered a sound system witch make the sound of a steam wishel, and a electric windless wench. hopefuly everything will fit under the decks electricly I mean.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 06:37 AM
Joined Nov 2004
24 Posts
windless wench! is that an out of breath female
pete stainton is offline Find More Posts by pete stainton
Old Apr 26, 2005, 09:37 AM
Slow dry dock worker
Tacoma, Washington
Joined Apr 2005
18 Posts
Looking good Pops...can't wait to see it out on the water...now if I could only get mine going.
Dragooneye is offline Find More Posts by Dragooneye
Old Apr 26, 2005, 01:55 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
The planks are going on, no problem there, If you build this tug, on the stem post, the build manual said to mesure 1-3/8" from top make a mark as refrence to start your first plank, note in the pic that you need to start your plank under the mark to aline with the stem post mark witch you have covered with a laination of bass wood. Hopefuly this info. will help in your build. LOL.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 02:04 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
the planking is going good, in these pic's you see I am going from one side to the other, insted of doing one side an then the other, because I don't need the hull to bow to one side from the glue drying it will pull, by glueing side to side the hull will stay farly straight.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 06:13 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
The bottom is done and ready to sand.
the worst part was the stern, trying to get all those small parts to bend in to place. Will post more as I go. LOL.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 06:45 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
WOW ropanach!!! You are really flying on the hull build there!!! (almost seems like you have stolen Pat T's fast building hidden elf workforce! ) Looks great!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Apr 29, 2005, 08:45 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
No there not pats elf force. I work a four day week so I get three days to myself. Here are some more pic's. and the build will slow down. I am whating for some things ( the mail is slow) to put under the deck to make sure everything fits. I've put on the sub deck and coated the inside with 15 min. epoxy just to seal it a bit, I'll be useing 30 min. epoxy for the hull.