HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2005, 03:36 PM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
Carl Goldberg Sailplane

Hi, I just took delivery on a Carl Goldberg Sailplane kit I found on Ebay.
Wingspan is 78 inches, and I haven't an idea yet of all up weight, but want to power it with electric. Any ideas on power and props?

Blue Skies!
Ed
Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2005, 03:51 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
It's probably the Gentle Lady.
Electrification is a common subject here.
Very good flier no matter how it's powered.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:06 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
What does the plane look like? Might be a GL, mabye not
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 21, 2005, 05:35 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,346 Posts
GL SL or Electra - all from the same basic design. Have fun with it. They all will fly with a geard 400 - to a geard 600 - brushless and lipos can save a large amount of weight if you don't mind putting in the money. It all depends on your budget and your flight expectations. We're here to help (or hassle )

JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Apr 21, 2005, 10:22 PM
Rebuildexpert
n/a Posts
Gentle Lady 1lb 8oz to 1lb 11oz depends on batteries and prop I am using like this set up best and is what I had at time.Mega motor 16/15/4 swinging 7.5X4 folder Hitec hs81 servos Hitec 555 receiver Kokam 2000mah 15C lipo Castle Creations Phoenix 25 ESC.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 08:02 AM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
Carl Goldberg Sailplane

The Carl Godberg Sailplane is an "old-timer"(1940's design), with a pylon mounted elliptical wing planform with undercamber.
Very nice looking airplane. It is said that the "Satellite" gas free flights of the 1960's used Carl's sailplane wing design and airfoil.

Blue skies!
Ed
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:23 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
If memory serves, that's a stick farm... lots of them!
Probably best finished with silk and dope, not MonoKote...
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:52 PM
Rebuildexpert
n/a Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul
You are right as to doing the covering as was done when kit was first offered.I just done this one after a good friend built the frame work and I then covered with transparent Monokote to show the nice work he done on this build. This sailplane has many flights with Novel 61 slimer on it. I just converted to electric this past winter.This one is going on seven years old and flys great.We bought two kits at the time and paid $29.00 at the time per kit.Great old time kit.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 02:11 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul
Stick Farm?

Why would one be advised to cover in silk and dope as opposed to MonoKote?
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 22, 2005, 02:50 PM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
Stick farm

Yes it's a stick farm, but building them is FUN!!!
If you want to try a really BIG stick farm, buy and build a Carl Goldberg VALKYRIE !!!!!!!!!!!!
Covered in transparent monokote of any color , it's a beautiful airplane!
I also am finishing up a Chet Lanzo Bomber, with a 72 inch span which will be electric, and converting a .35 gas Playboy Senior to electric.
I also own a ONE OF A KIND and the actual original 1939 Squalus, with a 9 foot wingspread.
There are no plans, but I ntend to make a set eventually. It uses a Enya .60 for power.
It is a high pylon wing old timer, once made a 200 mile cross country free flight trip from Ft Wayne Indiana to Brazil Indiana(about 1941 just before WW2) and was found setting safe and sound in a soy bean field just outside Brazil Indiana.
The airplane caught a huge thermal and away it went!
I think it would be fun to make up a set of plans using contour gages and other tools , then build an electric version!
The airplane was designed and built by my late Uncle in 1939 and named after the US Navy submarine Squalus, and my Dad resored it in the late 1980's and we flew it, and it flies like a homesick angel!

Blue skies!
Ed
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:07 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2 Posts
power for GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ercoupe Ed
Hi, I just took delivery on a Carl Goldberg Sailplane kit I found on Ebay.
Wingspan is 78 inches, and I haven't an idea yet of all up weight, but want to power it with electric. Any ideas on power and props?

Blue Skies!
Ed

I have just powered my Gentle Lady with a power pod kit from Tower Hobbies. 600 motor with ESC and 2100mah of battery. It weighs in at 2lbs 13ounces. It works but as I have never flown power before I find it a little speedy for my liking and I am going to practice with a park flyer before getting back to it. Also I have a query about the pod type of installation and the effect on stability - see my post on this.

Regards,

Bruce
Bruce Mac is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Mac
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:24 PM
Panama City Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2002
704 Posts
Gentle Lady..Cheap Power Option

My flying buddie..Is flying his gentlelady with a GWS speed 350 with 7.2volt
poly..1050's..I think the folder prop is either a 10x4.7 or a 11x3.8 or 4..we measured the current/power to keep it within specification. Also tried 3 cells polys..motor lasted about 10 flights and it smoked, however he likes to fly full throttle most of the time..

It climbs at about 30-40 degrees..and floats very nice. He get up to 500-600 feet in about 1.5-2 minutes..the motor is mounted in the front end..he removed the solid balsa block..It also flew good on 7 cell kans 1050's abiet
additional weight..which he uses when the wind is slightly blowing..10-15mph

BobFlyer..

I have in the past used the 600 with the 8x4 prop and Nimh 8 cell pack.. its heavy..You can greatly improve this system by adding a gearbox and going to a large prop..I think the ratio I used was the GP 2.5:1..and an a 10x8-12x6
prop..more thust and the current required decreased. Good combo but still
heavy for the GL..

Another good performer and light is the Himax 2015-4100 geared at 6.6:1 and a folder prop 10x8 or the 11x3.8...3 cell lipos...keep it at a max of about 110 watts..60-80 degree climbs and light..Mounted in front of GL...
BobFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BobFlyer
Last edited by BobFlyer; Apr 24, 2005 at 10:30 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 01:47 AM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
Carl Goldberg Sailplane

Hi Guys,
A Carl Goldberg Sailplane isn't a Gentle Lady, but a very beautiful and nice flying power gas ship designed and built and flown inthe 1940's .
It has a 78 inch elliptical wing with polyhedral, and an elliptical stab and rudder.
Back then , they used gas engines with ignition coils for them.
I'll probably power it with a good Hacker or an AXI electric, and fly it on nice days in the field behind my house.
Fly around, catch a thermal, shut the motor down, soar awhile, then go look for another thermal if the last one dies out.
Another of his really great free flights was the Zipper and the Valkyrie, the Valkyrie being quite a big airplane!!!
One built up with almost any color of transparent covering is a real piece of artwork and craftsmanship to behold!
Old airplanes are neat, even the full size ones I fly, like my 1946 Ercoupe, my buddies 1948 Stinson 108 ( he's also a long time modeler also), and two old birds I have flown which belong to the Experimental Aircraft Association.
I have flown right seat in the EAA's 1929 Ford Tri-Motor( my safety pilot and instructor was Colin Soucy, airshow pilot Gene Soucy's brother, and have about 20 minutes of (steering wheel time) as the yoke s in 1929 Ford Tri Motors was the steering wheel used in 1929 Fords.
I also have a half hour in the EAA's Aluminum Overcast, a 1945 Boeing B-17.
Both were lots of fun to fly!
I have been up in old Wacos, Stearmans, how I love old airplanes!
If you guys want to listen to a really good book on tape, get ahold of
Steve Coonts "Cannibal Queen" the story of a flight around the United States in a 1942 Stearman biplane in the summer of 1989.
availabe from www.stephencoonts.com

Blue Skies!
Ed
Old Jul 15, 2005, 05:48 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2004
116 Posts
[QUOTE=BobFlyer]My flying buddie..Is flying his gentlelady with a GWS speed 350 with 7.2volt
poly..1050's..I think the folder prop is either a 10x4.7 or a 11x3.8 or 4..we measured the current/power to keep it within specification. Also tried 3 cells polys..motor lasted about 10 flights and it smoked, however he likes to fly full throttle most of the time..

It climbs at about 30-40 degrees..and floats very nice. He get up to 500-600 feet in about 1.5-2 minutes..the motor is mounted in the front end..he removed the solid balsa block..It also flew good on 7 cell kans 1050's abiet
additional weight..which he uses when the wind is slightly blowing..10-15mph

BobFlyer,
I was wondering what brand of folding prop, hub, and adapter, if any, you were using on the GWS 350, and where you purchased them from. I have rebuilt an old Electra (terribly abused, lots of epoxy and scar tissue) that was given to me by a friend, and decided to use what was laying about, just to see if it would fly. Wasn't expecting much, just hoping for an "electric assist". I did all I could to keep weight down, even covered it with solite. Well, to my astonishment, a GWS 350C with 10X8 slofly prop, and 1050 mah nihm give it an effective (stately) climb. First flight and I was circling in a thermal with hawks. Delightful! A stock Electra is listed as weighing 48 oz., so I weighed mine thinking I would be very lucky to come in at 40 oz. Another shock...it is 27.8 oz., only 3 oz. more than a stock Gentle Lady! I was so amazed that I checked the scale...its accurate. The stock Electra power system must be a total brick, why would they still be selling such a heavy system? Now I'm thinking a folding prop on the GWS 350 would be worth it after all, but have had no luck finding anything that I know will fit. Thanks.
waco10 is offline Find More Posts by waco10
Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:44 PM
Panama City Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2002
704 Posts
Folding Props..

The folding props that are used on the gentlelady are from Aircraft World Japan.

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopdi...=folding+props

It requires some figuring out of several variables, however, if you send Dave
an E-mail of your requirement, he can put a folder prop together for you.

you need to specify the Hub diam. I.E. what is the shaft that the prop hub will fit..

we were using like 10x8..Graupner which are the less expensive..with a spinner, and prop adaptor..the adaptor allows the root of the blade, usually
specified as mm. I have the 8mm hubs on mine with an 8mm blade adaptor.

If you look at the site carefully, you will see the outline of the products in cad and just match up the following.

shaft to prop adaptor
blades to the hub adaptor, these are in general are either 6mm or 8mm, 8mm is apparently more choices..
Then the spinner of 30-xxmm

They will run about 25-30 dollars for a complete setup, then you can also
change the blades to experiment, just as long as the root matches the hub
root..I.e. 8mm blades to 8mm adaptor, ect..

This was a very inexpensive(350 setup) way to get the Gentlelady up in the air..We recently have tried the 29.95 brushless motor from hobby lobby, and its was about the same performance as the 350 geared..lost about an ounce of weight. I think the motor was an align? Its on the Sale pages.

BobFlyer
BobFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BobFlyer