SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 04, 2002, 09:24 PM
Name it, I've crashed it
JAX, FL
Joined Feb 2002
1,556 Posts
Need some help - EStreak almost ready to fly

Need a couple questions answered:

1. Should I do my CG check without the battery and then later find out where the batter needs to go to stay level? Guess it is the same thing but...

2. I'l be using an 8 x CP2400 pack. What is the recommended approach for charging and discharging these new batteries so that I can get maximum fun/life? I have a Kontronik 4001 ESC with a BEC that appears to be leaving about 7.5 volts in the batteries so I can't drain them with the motor.

3. Another charging question: I've seen different thoughts on charging methods but what amp level should I set the charger at? It will support .2 to 3 amp level for up to 16 batteries. Manual says use the 3 amp setting. Do you charge them differently when they are new?

BTW - I got this brand new Hitec CG-340 charger for ~$45 from NESail a week ago. It's still not on Hitec's site and I've not seen it anywhere else. It's a peak charger that will do 4-16 NiCd and NiMh cells up to 3000ma. Seems like a great deal for a mid-level charger.

4. I know that everybody has different ideas about this topic but is it worth doing a breakin on a $20 Magnetic Mayhem motor. I'm prepared to use my batteries, put it in water, use some D cells or maybe just put it in the plane and break it in along with the rest of the plane. Does it matter?

5. The book for the EStreak shows the control throws as:
Elevator 3/8" up - 7/16" down
Rudder 1 1/4" left/right
Ailerons 3/16" up/down
These all been good for the other guys with EStreaks?
Do you think that a 50% dual rate is a good idea for the maiden flight?

6. Last one - Have you seen the weather for this weekend. 70's and sunny with a light breeze. Does it get any better than that!!!

Thanks guys,

Bill
Bill Germanson is offline Find More Posts by Bill Germanson
Last edited by Bill Germanson; Apr 04, 2002 at 11:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2002, 10:34 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,312 Posts
Re: Need some help - EStreak almost ready to fly

Quote:
Originally posted by rclist
Need a couple questions answered:

1. Should I do my CG check without the battery and then later find out where the batter needs to go to stay level? Guess it is the same thing but...

Adjust the CG with the battery in its place just as it would be flown.

2. I'll be using an 8 x CP2400 pack. What is the recommended approach for charging and discharging these new batteries so that I can get maximum fun/life? I have a Kontronik 4001 ESC with a BEC that appears to be leaving about 7.5 volts in the batteries so I can't drain them with the motor.

The slower (lower amps) you charge and discharge them, the longer the batteries will last.

3. Another charging question: I've seen different thoughts on charging methods but what amp level should I set the charger at? It will support .2 to 3 amp level for up to 16 batteries. Manual says use the 3 amp setting. Do you charge them differently when they are new?

You may want to trickle charge them at the .3 amp rate for 12-16 hrs. the first charge to condition them. After that they should take all you can throw at them. The 2400's are the most hardy cells of all the common cells you'll see here.

4. I know that everybody has different ideas about this topic but is it worth doing a breakin on a $20 Magnetic Mayhem motor. I'm prepared to use my batteries, put it in water, use some D cells or maybe just put it in the plane and break it in along with the rest of the plane. Does it matter?

I haven't seen the MM motor in it's new shape but I'd bet that it's just about ready to use as you get it. Check the brush-commutator contact area to make sure the brush has full even contact over it's entire face.

5. The book for the EStreak shows the control throws as:
Elevator 3/8" up - 7/16" down
Rudder 1 1/4" left/right
Ailerons 3/16" up/down
These all been good for the other guys with EStreaks?

?

Do you think that a 50% dual rate is a good idea for the maden flight?

Yes

6. Last one - Have you seen the weather for this weekend. 70's and sunny with a light breeze. Does it get any better than that!!!

Thanks guys,

Bill
Only if it keeps that up for the remainder of the year.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Apr 05, 2002, 08:50 AM
Clifton, Va., USA
Joined Sep 2000
632 Posts
You've gotten good advice from Greg.

A couple more thoughts:

1. The instruction book-recommended throws are a good starting point for the initial flights.

2. Use expo if you've got it. Something like 20 to 30 percent on ailerons and elevator, a little less on rudder. Note that expo works differently among transmitter brands. For Futaba, expo that softens the center of a control movement is expressed as a negative value, such as -25 percent.

3. Make absolutely sure your control surfaces are moving in the correct directions with the correct amount of throw.

4. Seriously consider having a colleague look your model over and help pre-flight it. The E-Streak is too good a model to lose because of a silly mistake. Have your colleague look at everything--alignments, linkages, etc. This person can save you from certain heartache.

5. Range-check the model motor off and motor on. Again, get someone to help you with this.

6. Watch your pull-pull system on the rudder. It has a tendency to wear in. I had to re-tighten and reset the cables on mine after the first two flights.

7. Concentrate on just letting it build speed and flying it level or in a very slight climb after the launch or takeoff. Then, begin
a climb into the traffic pattern at altitude. Once you're up high, start making your trim passes. Think through what you want to accomplish on this first flight--it helps focus the mind.

8. Have a blast! The E-Streak is a great flyer.
Brian Nixon is offline Find More Posts by Brian Nixon
Old Apr 05, 2002, 04:22 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
I on;y have a little to add to what the two very wise gentlemen have advised about. Depending on your piloting skills, the 50% dual raqte might be a bit too light. If you're an experinced RC pilot (i.e.: beyond a trainer) you might want to put in about 65-75% for dual rates. This way you'll have bit more authority.
The MM is generally ready to go. I just gave mine a good cleaning as per instructions from the motor wizard at the LHS. Buy yourself a can of motor cleaner, a comm polishing stick (its a bundle of fiber glass strands) and some new brushes. That way you'll be ready to clean and change things.
Finally enjoy the Streak. While its an old design its one of my favorite and most reliable planes. Its the one that is always in the van at the field and comes out when all my "experiments" fail and I need something reliable to fly.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Apr 05, 2002, 05:55 PM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,906 Posts
I agree with what they said!

But would also add that most of your charging etc questions are answered in the excellent FAQ: http://www.ezonemag.com/pages/efaq.htm

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Apr 05, 2002, 09:24 PM
Name it, I've crashed it
JAX, FL
Joined Feb 2002
1,556 Posts
Hi guys, Thanks for all of the help. I'll be taking it all into account as I get ready to put my EStreak up. I don't think that there is anything else to ask about I just need to have a little faith in the science around lift and thrust. Still hard to believe that a little 7.5x4 is going to pull the 42ozs but here goes...

Thanks again EZone,

Bill
Bill Germanson is offline Find More Posts by Bill Germanson