HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2005, 02:35 AM
Joined Nov 2004
486 Posts
What other plane *stuff* are/were you into?

Just wondering coz I recognise some user IDs here.

I played Warbirds II (online game) for a couple of years then moved on to AcesHigh after taking a bit of a break from it. My callsigns in these games were:

Skyes and
Extreme

Now I've completely stopped playing them because I don't enjoy it anymore and because the egos just didn't make the game fun.

I got into RC really from Warbirds and Aceshigh. I figure if I can't fly the real thing I'll go into RC.

How did you get into RC planes?

Anyone else here from Warbirds or AcesHigh?

Ex.
ExtremeSkyes is offline Find More Posts by ExtremeSkyes
Last edited by ExtremeSkyes; Apr 21, 2005 at 03:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2005, 05:50 AM
Dont get Lippy!
United States, AZ, Cottonwood
Joined Apr 2004
101 Posts
I cant speak for n e one else, BUT I will say say years of playing about every flightsim....ms flight sim 5 to 2004pro and IL2 + all expansions plus others...helps 80% in real R/C flying! if not more
omni99 is offline Find More Posts by omni99
Old Apr 21, 2005, 06:13 AM
Joined Nov 2004
486 Posts
I agree omni...I found the fundamentals (pitch, roll, yaw) plus the fine controls required easy to come by compared to my friends who have never done such thing.

Thing I love about it is I try those things I used to do in the games and it's amazing how close the sims come!

Ex.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:15 PM
BFU Pilot
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Apr 2005
514 Posts
Bush flying in MS Flight Sim for Bush Flying Unlimited.
Only plane I have is a Cosmic Flyer I haven't yet flown though so till I get a chance to do that I've got FS9 and FMS to play with.
EdrickV is offline Find More Posts by EdrickV
Old Apr 21, 2005, 07:40 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Oh, games... not me. I have been into nearly every other form of this hobby except Pattern: freeflight, control line, indoor, slope, thermal, everything; couldn't see the point of Pattern after spending some time as an observer.

Not dissing games, too many other things to do: woodworking, furniture design, parade vehicles, gardening, stonework, etc...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Apr 21, 2005, 07:54 PM
Joined Nov 2004
486 Posts
Tlyttle, you obviously not married(??) ...

I'm finding little time to spend between family, work and life at the moment. I used to read a lot and play the piano, but now I've had to put that aside to have enough time for this addiction . Plus I work as an IT consultant which is demanding on certifications and keeping up to date with the latest stuff so I'm not doing nearly all the things I want to do.

Ex.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 09:04 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2005
545 Posts
My 2nd grade teacher brought in her husband's old RC mags to her classroom (1977). I read them all about 10 times each and have wanted to fly ever since. I still remember the ads in those old mags. Gave it a few unsuccessful goes from age 7 to 26 and finally got serious about it this year. It only took 25 years for me to get in the air!
tridim is offline Find More Posts by tridim
Old Apr 21, 2005, 09:14 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Laced 17 years of 22 in the RAF with many "trips" in simulators. The first was the Nimrod MR 1/ 2 maritime patrol / anti-sub "full mission simulator" - the entire 10 man back end of the aircraft, with the flight deck reduced to a pilot turning knobs to change height and direction. This was real good fun, with enough action in a five hour slot to ensure we all came out sweating.

Flying for real was much more relaxed, though I only got to participate in sub killing with torpedoes and nukes in the sim. The first time we got to do real fighter affiliation
was much more fun than simulating it - the fighter was a Russian carrier borne one, and he played rough.

The other sim was two years as the ATC simulator in the C130 sim. I got to sit outside the box, doing stuff like laying on the weather and ensuring that a realistic airfield appeared in the pilot's view when needed, but I got to be air traffic control at it, and everywhere else too. "One armed paperhanger" about covers running two seperate computers, acting as several air traffickers. I was awful at accents, my American tending to sound like John Wayne mostly, but it was hectic fun.

Both probably had less computer power than most modern moronbox brainburners!

On the whole, whatever it is, I'd still rather do it for real.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Apr 21, 2005, 10:33 PM
Joined Nov 2004
486 Posts
The closest I ever got to a real flight sim was at this years Australian Airshow. I think the Americans had one set up in a stand. There were heaps of people around it so I couldn't even see what cockpit it was, but it was a fighter cockpit and from what I could see, it was awesome. I think they might have even been letting people fly it too, which was why there were so many people around it.

Talk about sim computer power, I came across a flight sim for an aerospace company that were run from x286 machines! The thing wasn't functional anymore, but the techie told me all they had were lines and dots in green but it was revolutionary for its time. The cockpits were a little crude, but it would have been great to have set up at home. In fact I asked if I could pinch one, but I never heard back about it! ...

Ex.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:02 PM
fun = win
United States, OR, Sisters
Joined Oct 2004
217 Posts
I got into RC because I've always loved airplanes, but only recently had enough money to do it. I've been an aircraft mechanic for years and have an engineering degree, so I love to build even more than I like to fly. Luckily, I'm single and have a house to myself. I just got a job in Oregon where we build 100% scale Lancairs! Great fun, those...

~Kennen~
Bearweasel is offline Find More Posts by Bearweasel
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:37 PM
Whatever happens..Happens
Sanford, Maine, United States
Joined Aug 2004
628 Posts
there is a ama flying field about a mile away from my house. i could hear the planes so i whent out to watch(this was when i was maybe 8 years old), i watched off and on, but maybe 2 or 3 years ago i started going out every day there was someone flying. finaly last year i got a plane and started flying with them. im 16 now.

i guess flight sims did help alot to. i used to play
combat flight sim
f22 air dominance fighter
f22 raptor
ms flight sim
and some others.
jswjimmy is offline Find More Posts by jswjimmy
Old Apr 22, 2005, 03:26 PM
Trapped in California
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2003
1,857 Posts
Growing up in the "Aviation Capital of the World", or "Aerospace Valley" piqued my interest in airplanes and aviation from a very young age. Built tons of plastic model planes, had to wait until I could afford RC equipment. Never messed with online games, connections have always been too slow for that. I do enjoy the Microsoft European Theatre WW2 game (forget the name) now and then. But from a model aviation standpoint I'd rather be building or flying than sitting in front of a computer.
foamflyer is offline Find More Posts by foamflyer
Old Apr 22, 2005, 03:29 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,658 Posts
I FLY ROCKETS (and rocket gliders)!
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Apr 22, 2005, 03:39 PM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,884 Posts
Rated pilot for many years, built several full size aircraft (ultralights), love to collect military long guns (about 40 in current collection, most prized are a 1942 Springfield M1 Garand and a Rockolla M1 Carbine). Been a modeler for 52 of my 58 years flying R/C since 1962, prefer a sailboat over speed boat especially with a 6 pack of Millers and peanuts on a quite summer evening. A good Clancy or Cussler book a couple times a month, quite time with wife whenever we can which is hard with three daughters and a couple of grandbabies under foot. Been in avaition for a living all my life, since freshman in college while working at Vought for almost 14 years, engineer for Lockheed Martin for 25 years presently on F/A-22 program.
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch
Old Apr 22, 2005, 03:42 PM
Greenbrier AR, USA
Joined Nov 2002
180 Posts
I came across a small airplane museum in southeast New Mexico about 15 years ago. I just stopped in on a whim, and was the only one in there. They had a Link trainer system from WW II. Since I was the only one there, and fascinated with the planes, the operator let me get in and fly the Link trainer. It was awesome, I crashed, but I loved every minute of it. They had a 2 seat P-51, and he told me to come back on Sat., they flew a lot of their planes on the weekend. They flew the P-51 and a Storch that weekend, I know there were others, but can't remember now.

David
bzpond is offline Find More Posts by bzpond