HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:02 PM
Joined Mar 2005
69 Posts
is this Airtronics VG4R a good deal?

A buddy of mine at work got into r/c a bit when he was younger, and now he is out of it. He's got an old Airtronics VG4R 4 channel remote on channel 34, with buddy interface and switch. Has the battery and wall charger, but no receiver or servo's.

I am just getting into this hobby (loving it so far). I'm just flying a thawk right now with it's stock 27mhz remote, however i'm almost finished construction of a herr p51d which i'm going to need a 4ch remote for.

Is $40cdn a decent price for this remote? Considering there will be no shipping to pay? That probably works out to about 33-34 buck USD.

thanks guys!
chris
mdchris is offline Find More Posts by mdchris
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2005, 10:45 PM
Groundloop World Champion
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
Hi,

The VG4R is worth $25USD at most. The nicad battery in the transmitter may well be old and less than reliable. If you have to replace the battery, then there really is little value to the VG4R because it will cost at least $12USD for a replacement battery. Sorry for the negative report. If you use eBay, look for an Airtronics VG400 or 600. You can get lucky and get a whole system for $70-80USD.

Regards,

Old_dude
old_dude is offline Find More Posts by old_dude
Old Apr 22, 2005, 05:34 AM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,396 Posts
Old_Dude is pretty right concerning the price of an old VG4R. Although I will disagree on the potential reliability.

My brother has an old Vanguard 6-channel system that's at least 15 years old, and I trust it more than my old Airtronics Radiant and current RD6000 Super. That older unit is rock solid and has never failed. I use only Berg receivers in the U.S. and have two sets of crystals for each Rx: for the Vanguard and the RD6000 Super frequencies.

Nearly all my initial model testing is done with the Vanguard because ... it never has failed neither my brother or me in the past 15 years. Whereas, for some yet undetermined reason, the RD6000 (and the older Radiant) has.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:18 PM
Groundloop World Champion
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
James,

You need to read a little better !! I indicated the transmitter battery might be unreliable. I agree Vanguard systems themselves are very dependable.

Od_dude
old_dude is offline Find More Posts by old_dude
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:48 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,396 Posts
Sorry. You are correct about the battery. Generalizing its condition for the whole radio was my oversight.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old Apr 22, 2005, 03:02 PM
Joined Mar 2005
69 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I'll check out the battery and see if it holds a charge. If not i'll pass it up, otherwise i think this will be my cheap entry 4ch tx.
mdchris is offline Find More Posts by mdchris
Old Apr 16, 2009, 08:14 PM
Joined May 2007
3 Posts
Airtronics Transmitter VG4R

Hey do you still have this transmitter as
i need an extra for buddy box on my VG4R

Thanks
maraskyr is offline Find More Posts by maraskyr