HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2005, 12:10 PM
Joined Jan 2005
16 Posts
Maximum voltage charge in NiMH battery Pack

I am a newbe to RC flying and battery charging. My ICE charger charges my new 8 cell pack of SC3500 NiMH batteries to 11.1V(the batteries will power a Mega motor on a Corona Heli). I am using a Pyramid PS14KX with an input voltage of 14.1V to the ICE. I thought an 8 cell pack should not be charged to a voltage above 9.8V(1.2V per cell).

Will this higher voltage damage the batteries? According to the ICE manual I can't set a specific charge voltage for NiMH or NiCad batteries. I can only set the number of cells in the battery and ICE will charge to the correct voltage.
romaink is offline Find More Posts by romaink
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2005, 12:30 PM
Bellingham WA
Joined Jan 2005
659 Posts
Hello Romaink,

Even though NiMh cells are rated at 1.2 volts per cell, they are charged up to around 1.4-1.5 volts per cell.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline Find More Posts by SilverFoxCPF
Old Apr 20, 2005, 06:52 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,097 Posts
1.5 V/cell would be pushing the upper limit for the chemistry. For any rechargeable battery chemistry, there is a specific Voltage difference range between the battery to be charged and the charging source. For most types of batteries we use, the difference is about 0.2 Volts/ cell minimum. For NiCad and NiMh, the Automatic Peak Detect or Delta Peak detect chargers are the best, if a bit pricier than the simple timed chargers that come with some cheap outfits.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears