HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:27 PM
Joined Mar 2005
69 Posts
thawk mods

So i've been having a blast with my thawk, and am comfortable enough flying it now to fly it in my local park rather than driving out of the city all the time (the park is about the size of a football field and open mostly around the park as well).

Tonight I decided it was time to have some fun in the shop and do some mods. I already had installed a switch in the main battery feed so i could cut power to it without having to unplug that battery. I also replaced the plastic wing hold down posts with 1/4" dowels.

Next i made 2 very large black areas on the bottom of the main wing, i have to say this is the most worth while mod so far, i can maintain the orientation of the plane in my head 200% better than flat orange on both sides of the wing.

I was getting ready to do the zip tie mod to help support the engine when it struck me that the flimsy piece of plastic that "pinches" the engine on to the fuselage is what the REAL problem is here. So I took a standard 3/8" washer, marked it, drilled some holes (had to ream out the center hold just a tiny bit), and that is now used to pinch the engine to the fuselage. Just for the heck of it I decided to also do the zip tie mode in addition to this. I am telling you, that motor is not going to come unmounted unless it either breaks the screws, or rips the whole back off of the fuselage.

chris
mdchris is offline Find More Posts by mdchris
Last edited by mdchris; Apr 19, 2005 at 10:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:34 PM
Twist n' Shout!
Joined Nov 2004
1,484 Posts
sweet looks good, i did the same kind of reinforcment for the motor by using the washer like you did, has worked great since today...Glad your having a blast with the t-hawk and great plane
Matt Dziubinski is offline Find More Posts by Matt Dziubinski
Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:43 PM
Joined Mar 2005
69 Posts
Thanks

On the downside, i had moved the pushrods to the innermost hole on the control horns a few days ago. Today I went to move them to the outermost hole on the servo to get a little more throw, and I see that the arm on one of my servo's is broken There are supposed to be 5 holes, and it's currently in the 3rd spot, but it's broken off after that point, so 4 and 5 are gone. Looks like i'll have to call the guys tomorrow and see if they can send me a replacement servo.

I'm not sure how i'm gonna move the wire in the servo though, it looks pretty darn hard to get to. Might have to bend the Z into an L to move hole and then bend it back to a Z???
Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:50 PM
Twist n' Shout!
Joined Nov 2004
1,484 Posts
yeah i dont like how its a set-up on the inside but i dont fly my a whole lot anymore...i've got the vortex extreme, same as t-hwak just diffrent colors.. You can call them and they should be abe to send you JUST the servo arm and not the whoe servo..cheaper and thats a you probably need...for MAX throws outside on servo arm and inside on control horn.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 01:31 AM
S. Calif.
Joined Mar 2005
255 Posts
Nice job modding your Hawk, mdchris. I want to paint or tape the underside of my wing too. I think I'll do it on the 2nd, as yet unused spare wing, at the same time I reinforce it with a carbon fiber strip.

It seems different people's T-Hawks are different. Mine has white wing bottoms. Also, my motor mounting plate is metal, I think maybe anodized aluminum? It's black but definitely metal. I scraped it with a sharp object to confirm that. (See photos.)

Also, are you sure you've broken a servo arm(s)? Here are how mine look (See photo) -- that's the way they came. It looks like they were clipped on purpose.
philipnow is offline Find More Posts by philipnow
Old Apr 20, 2005, 09:01 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2003
279 Posts
i assume they did that to make sure they clear the fuselage sides
jacob is offline Find More Posts by jacob
Old Apr 20, 2005, 09:39 AM
Joined Mar 2005
69 Posts
Only one of mine has the end broken off, and it does look broken to me rather than clipped. The other servo arm is full length and has no problem clearing the fuselage side.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:23 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,543 Posts
mdchris:

Nice job on the modifications. I used a F/G firewall normally associated with Speed 400 motors, when scratch building or replacing an existing firewall. Original mounting plate on my TH was black plastic, and it was bending due to the heat of the motor.

Ditto on using the inside hole on the control horn for better thow action of the rudder and elevator. I actually drilled in a hole closer to the operating surface, to get the most throw. Did not change the servo arm arrangement, but I may later on. Presently, snap rolls to the right are precisely that....a snap!

Nice job with the on/off switch. I upgraded to a Jeti 18A ESC and it had an on/off switch as part of the circuitry. Flew the T-Hawk this weekend, working with a stock prop again. 136 flights on it so far, and it is part of an active 14 plane fleet! I have fun chasing the geese off the runways at our flying site. For some reason, the geese really spaz when the T-Hawk comes screaming by, about 4 feet above them!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:50 AM
Joined Mar 2005
69 Posts
Hey Doug i was meaning to ask you, about how much difference would you say there was in speed/power moving from the stock 380 to that reverse wound 400? I'm getting quite comfortable with the thawk now, and the reverse 400 is so darn cheap I am having trouble convincing myself not to make the switch Also about how much is one of those jeti18 speed controllers worth? (and would the 400 work with the stock speed controller, or does that motor pull to many amps for it?)

Haha speaking of chasing, last night I was out flying at a park that is only 2 blocks from my house (lucky), and there was a friendly guy in the park playing fetch with 2 jack russel terriers. He didn't mind that I wanted to fly in the park while he was there with his dogs so I sent her up in the air. About a minute later i could hear barking and looked down and there is one of this guys terriers just truckin it accross the park, apparently it figured out where that buzzing sound was coming from and it was gonna catch it at all costs! The owner was half trying to get the dog to come back, and half laughing his behind off. I did about 3 or 4 laps of the park, then i tried a real slow pass above the owner to see if he could catch the dog on it's way by. In the end I had to land the plane so he could get his dogs. It was pretty funny. It is not an off-leash park anyways so he really had no reason to get upset about it but he was nice and just put a leash on them, then stood around to watch me fly for a bit.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:27 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchris
.. about how much difference would you say there was in speed/power moving from the stock 380 to that reverse wound 400? I'm getting quite comfortable with the thawk now, and the reverse 400 is so darn cheap I am having trouble convincing myself not to make the switch Also about how much is one of those jeti18 speed controllers worth? (and would the 400 work with the stock speed controller, or does that motor pull to many amps for it?)
Hard to put numbers on it, and I have been flying with the Zagi motors so long now I forget how the orignal motor performed. But, you can expect a notable performance difference (nothing on the order of a B/L motor upgrade), but visually more speed. However, this comes at a price (even though the Zagi Reverse Wound Speed 400 = $10), and the price is amps needed. You will get shorter flight times at WOT, using the same battery pack you presently use. Also, you could exceed the rated capacity of the OEM speed controller. Not sure what the original ESC was rated for, probably not more than 10-12 amps. Note the figures I have on record with the TrickRC Speed 400:

Battery: 7 cell GP1100 pack Amps: 14.7 Volts: 7.7 Watts: 114

Battery: 1500HC LiPo 3S1P Amps: 16.5 Volts: 8.4 Watts: 140

So, as you can see, there is with my combination a notably increase in power to the prop. I would guess the OEM setup provided some 70 or 80 watts, but I never measured it, so I cannot verify that. Heat build up is as major problem with my upgrade. Also, I can only get about 9 minutes of flying time, but I tend to hotdog my T-Hawk. Brushless is looking more appealing as time wears on. There again, the speed controller would have to be changed out.

Can't recall what I paid for the Jeti 18A controller. Got it from Hobby Lobby, and the controller has an on/off switch as part of the circuitry. It is a good speed controller, works just fine with the Zagi motor.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Apr 20, 2005, 03:53 PM
Twist n' Shout!
Joined Nov 2004
1,484 Posts
what you guys may want to use for "coloring" your wings on the underside it colored packing tape..you can find these at Office Depot, Office Max, or your LHS, maybe even a wal-mart..its light and helps visualized left from right, top from bottom, etc. etc...and while its helping do that it aso provides a strengh to whatever you apply it to. Good luck.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 06:30 PM
Joined Mar 2005
69 Posts
Ya I was looking for it but couldn't find anything at canadian tire when i was there, so for now i just used electrical tape. Sooner or later i'll find some colored packing tape.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 06:34 PM
Twist n' Shout!
Joined Nov 2004
1,484 Posts
is that just an all around car parts store, if so, yeah they probably wont have it..check out a craft store or any school/office supply store, they will have what your looking for.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 05:36 AM
Katowice, Poland
Joined Nov 2005
124 Posts
Motor change again ;)

Yeah,

I've got both T-Hawk and Easy Glider Electric running ( for now) on 2 packs of 7 KAN 1050. I'm going to buy 2 packs of 8 KAN 1050 to improve the power. "The Question" is, if it is a good idea to change the original T-Hawk 380 motor to 6V 400 Permax or 7.2V 480 Permax? Which would be better? Without changing ( for now) Hawk's original speed controller.
Anasazi is offline Find More Posts by Anasazi
Old Nov 24, 2005, 01:01 AM
TWISTED ONE
Houston, Texas
Joined Nov 2005
12 Posts
Thawk Mods

Hi Guys,
I've really enjoyed this thread. Since I've had 2 hawks(stuipid learning without coaching), I took the second metal ring for the motor and piggybacked them. Additionally, I had problems with the wings folding on high g-force manuevers so I added a balsa spar underneath the wing....5" short of the tips. Snap rolls, right or left....no problem. Takes a bit to get altitude but really fun for agressive stunts. I would really like to see the overall motor mount structure beefed up a bit but the plane is a blast to fly. I had to go to the inside holes on the elevator and rutter to be able to do the snaps. But now I can cline to a reasonable hight, loop, spiral down and pull out w/o the wings folding. Still, in my opinion, great plane....but not really a beginner w/o some training. My .02.
TWISTED ONE is offline Find More Posts by TWISTED ONE
Last edited by TWISTED ONE; Nov 24, 2005 at 01:04 AM. Reason: typo