HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2001, 10:44 AM
WAR
Austin, TX, USA
Joined Apr 2001
70 Posts
Glues for Pink Foam

I'm getting ready to build a Pink Shadow (made of pink foam like Flitter-B) and wonder if the recommended glue, Elmer's Carpenter's glue, would be a good choice as far as strength. I am use to using 5 minute epoxy (fast dry and build time), but the modeling instructions say that it will add too much weight. What's the best glue for the pink foam that I can find easily at Home Depot, Loews, or other local hardware store that dries fast, is strong, and doesn't add much weight (am I asking for too much )? I have some goop, dapwood contact cement, and elmer's probond polyurethane glues that I am going to use on my EPP Push-E Cat.
WAR is offline Find More Posts by WAR
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2001, 07:48 PM
Strange Plane Central
Poway (near San Diego), CA US
Joined Dec 2000
1,884 Posts
The probond works well and you do not have to use much. Mist with water to activate it as foam does not have moisture. When I want minimal expansion, I breath on it and that seems to be enough.
frankenfoamy is offline Find More Posts by frankenfoamy
Old May 23, 2001, 11:30 PM
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2001
743 Posts
Here in Houston I don't even have to do that much. There is plenty of moisture in the air here.
fill is offline Find More Posts by fill
Old May 24, 2001, 10:21 AM
WAR
Austin, TX, USA
Joined Apr 2001
70 Posts
The consensus seems to be for Probond for pink foam. I tried it on a piece of scrap foam last night. Glue is very easy to put on and was solid when I checked it in the morning. Gotta be careful with the expansion during curing though. There seem to be more glue there after curing as compare to what I put on. I like the fact that Probond is more flexible than Epoxy, but just as strong. Hopefully it is lighter.

I also am wondering about some leading edge covering to protect the pink foam on my Pink Shadow? I think I will use clear 3M packing tape. Also tried the tape this morning and was pleasantly surprised that it sticked to the foam. I don't want to use too much tape due to weight, but I don't want chucks of foam coming out on every mishap . This foam looks as fragile as my Poppy's styrofoam horiz/vert tail components. I ended up covering them with tape to protect them also.
Old May 24, 2001, 10:23 AM
WAR
Austin, TX, USA
Joined Apr 2001
70 Posts
The consensus seems to be for Probond for pink foam. I also posted the same question in the Foamies forum and got some replies there also. Thanks ezone for not leaving me hanging there.

I tried it on a piece of scrap foam last night. Glue is very easy to put on and was solid when I checked it in the morning. Gotta be careful with the expansion during curing though. There seem to be more glue there after curing as compare to what I put on. I like the fact that Probond is more flexible than Epoxy, but just as strong. Hopefully it is lighter.

I also am wondering about some leading edge covering to protect the pink foam on my Pink Shadow? I think I will use clear 3M packing tape. Also tried the tape this morning and was pleasantly surprised that it sticked to the foam. I don't want to use too much tape due to weight, but I don't want chucks of foam coming out on every mishap . This foam looks as fragile as my Poppy's styrofoam horiz/vert tail components. I ended up covering them with tape to protect them also.
Old May 24, 2001, 10:27 AM
WAR
Austin, TX, USA
Joined Apr 2001
70 Posts
Wow, how did that happen. Two for one replies??? Sorry for the repetition. I didn't think it went through the first time so I revised it and sent it again. Reminds me of those old "chow, chow, chow" commercials in the 80's for Meowmix cat food. Or if your not of that generation, the Movie Maxtrix when there was a glitch in the maxtrix with the black cat.
Old May 24, 2001, 10:30 AM
WAR
Austin, TX, USA
Joined Apr 2001
70 Posts
Man, I gotta learn how to spell. That's the movie "Matrix", not "Maxtrix". Last one I promise !
Old May 24, 2001, 10:38 AM
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2001
743 Posts
When using the ProBond, I found it best when I used a very thin layer of glue and then pressed the pieces together, some glue might come out after curing, but you can sand it down very carfully.
fill is offline Find More Posts by fill