HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2005, 04:51 PM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Show off your Sub-Micro!!!

Hi all,

Just thought I would start a new thread where you can all show off your submicros, whether it be a moth converiosn, premade (Rotorfly) or a DIY heli...

Please also post a few details about it, what electronics it is using, and all its dimensions (blades, boom, e.t.c.)

(And no, I dont have a submicro, but as soon as I do my conversion, I will post it here....)

Thanks, Duane

P.S. Please have a look here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360727
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:22 PM
2 Turbos...Nope 1 Big one
United States, PA, Lake Wynonah
Joined Aug 2004
1,801 Posts
Here ya go duane
Cut Down Dragonfly
16" Rotor Diameter-Cut down Like 90's
2 CC 10 speedos
Razor V2 main motor
Hitec 55 servos
Feigao Short can brushless Tail motor
Aluminum Swash
Gy 240 Gyro
Tp 860 3 cell lipos
Shadow 1 Receiver
Cut down boom
200 Grams w/o lipo
2500 Headspeed at hover
3800 Headspeed Full bore!!!
skeppley is offline Find More Posts by skeppley
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:38 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2005
844 Posts
skepply, can you comment on the feigao short can in this application? does it get hot running dd? does it have good authority?
theShark is offline Find More Posts by theShark
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:44 PM
Really Cool User
Tampa St Pete, Florida, United States
Joined Dec 2003
1,870 Posts
*PICS UPDATED*
Here's my aerohawk sub-micro It has too much stuff to list but basics are full brushless motors (by Azfai), berg rx, cc10's, like 90's etc etc.

Silverstreak328 is offline Find More Posts by Silverstreak328
Last edited by Silverstreak328; Apr 20, 2005 at 09:49 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:52 PM
Northern California
Joined Feb 2004
586 Posts
I just started playing with the moth/midget conversion as well. Skeppley, what pinion are you using?
T.J. Kong is offline Find More Posts by T.J. Kong
Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:06 PM
MI
Joined Jan 2005
611 Posts
My submicros:
A hybrid rotofly/hummingbird/dragonfly Razor V2, and a Lynxman IPS heli
uav51 is offline Find More Posts by uav51
Old Apr 19, 2005, 07:48 AM
Joined Aug 2004
1,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theShark
skepply, can you comment on the feigao short can in this application? does it get hot running dd? does it have good authority?
theShark, the bottom picture i posted with the black prop is the 4530 and adapter and the feigao long can motor (36L 4100), it was too big for this application. The small can motor(30S 5300) with the grey 3040 prop works great(top picture). The small motor really likes to spin, and doesnt have the torque of the long can, but it does have the RPM that a small prop needs. I dont think it would work well on a normal sized Dragonfly, but for a sub, it's perfect. Does not get hot running on a 3 cell lipo, and authority is VERY good. Piro rate is super fast, and it flies in wind almost as well as a shogun, taking in consideration of it's weight of course I would recommend this motor for any sub micro or stock rotofly turned brushless.

TJ Kong: I believe i went to a 12 or 13 tooth HPI rs4 Micro pinion. I will check latr today. Headspeed at hover is the same as i run on a shogun, so it handles VERY well!
Old Apr 19, 2005, 07:49 AM
Joined Aug 2004
1,801 Posts
uav51: I really like the fan you use on the Lynxman heli to do your wind tunnel testing
Beautiful little bird
Old Apr 19, 2005, 09:12 AM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
These are the prototypes for my flybarless CCPM sub-micro, IPS motorized sub-micro and finally my Mygg, the first sub-micro I made.
Lynxman is offline Find More Posts by Lynxman
Last edited by Lynxman; Apr 19, 2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 09:31 AM
College Station, TX USA
Joined Dec 2003
1,811 Posts
WOW, really like the Flybarless CCPM, Please keep us updated, great job!
Keep'em Flying,
Nick
Nick Maxwell is offline Find More Posts by Nick Maxwell
Old Apr 19, 2005, 09:35 AM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
CCPM story:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297221

IPS-story:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285139

Mygg-story:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246562
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:44 AM
Northern California
Joined Feb 2004
586 Posts
Lynxman, would you please compare how the three of your scratch-built micros fly. Also, I have read about control problems while turning a FBL helicopter. Do you have any of these problems with yours? (or just the pitch-up in FFF)
T.J. Kong is offline Find More Posts by T.J. Kong
Old Apr 19, 2005, 01:14 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,293 Posts
Here's a couple of pics of my newest bird. It's a Flight Tech all aluminum Hummingbird. Boom is stretched 1" and now has dual rear rotor motors. Running a Himax Brushless 2015-5400 with an 8t pinion and an Apogee 2cell 1050 pack, CC-10 main controller, Wattage 5amp rear motor controller, Hitec Electron 6 receiver, Cirrus Gyro and 2 Bluebird servos. Everyting was anodized purple for a cool look. Has way more power than it could ever use, but comes in handy for forward flight in the wind. Hover is rock steady at about 1/3rd throttle. The dual rear tail motors make non 3-D stunts easy, and helps the gyro keep it pointed in the right direction. Loops and rolls are uneventful and kinda like rolling a high wing trainer. The taller/wider landing gear make it easy on grass or asphalt without the tail rotor hitting the ground.
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Apr 19, 2005, 01:53 PM
Joined Nov 2002
615 Posts
My moth - was a Piccolo at first.
AUW 180g

A short video
http://members.freemail.ch/paulg/Moth/moth.mpg
Luap is offline Find More Posts by Luap
Old Apr 19, 2005, 02:09 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. Kong
Lynxman, would you please compare how the three of your scratch-built micros fly. Also, I have read about control problems while turning a FBL helicopter. Do you have any of these problems with yours? (or just the pitch-up in FFF)
What's do you mean by FBL helicopter?

The Mygg flew great in forward flight. The IPS heli is smoother in forward flight but has less cyclic respons which is something I wanted to improve by making longer swashplate output-arms. Turning is harder than with a micro in forward flight because yaw is a little jerky with the 3-in-1 cards but no problem once you get used to it. It just takes a bit of getting used to because they're very quick compared to a micro and once you learn how they handle you can fly them around very fast and zippy.

The flybarless CCPM heli has some pitch up in fast forward flight at the rpm I've been flying (2400 rpm) because too high collective is needed but when I run at full throttle it's great! Hovering is very precise with the flybarless heli. The tail doesn't hold well at high collective so I planned to try a different gear ratio. It flies smoother and better than any fixed pitch micro I've tried.