HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2005, 03:22 PM
Artillery! King of Battle!
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
A Few Questions about my New Large TP ProLite Packs

Hello,

Yesterday I flew my new Thunder Power ProLites for the first time, the packs are a 4S3P and a 5S3P wired in series to make a 9S3P pack. My Funtana 90 flew great and the packs seem to be very nice.

I just finished charging the 4S3P pack and here are the results.

14.61 Starting voltage of pack
5.75 Charge amperage
5563 Mah pack took from charger
16.80 Ending voltage of pack after charge
1:11:08 Charge time

I had discharged 92.26% of the capcity of the pack. Is this too deep a discharge? The average C load on the pack was between 3-5C, battery temp. never was over 95 degrees and the ESC never hit LVC of 3.0V per cell.

Also can I charge these packs in series without the balance modules while being safe and not damaging the packs? I am using an Astro Flight 109 charger.

Here are the reading at WOT after the first charging.

53+ amps and 1750 watts, Should I except this to increase with a few cycles on the packs?

Sorry for so many questions, but I just want to make sure I am treating the packs correctly, so they will last a long time.

Brian
Brill 1 is offline Find More Posts by Brill 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2005, 05:39 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Considering how much hat size pack cost I would not fly them that low myself. I like to see 3.7 plus volts per cell withing 10 to 20 minutes after a flight. Your 3.65 is close but I have no idea how long it was after fthe flight(s). Also with new batteries it is best not to operate them at over 70% of max. C rate for the first few flights. It is best to fly two short flight on a charge rather than one long one letting battery rest awhile between flights. I also let battery rest for atleast 20 minute up to one hour after a flight befor charging. I only charge routinely at 0.7C and the more cells in series the more likely they are to get out of balance. I would charge each pack seperately to withing 0.01 volts befor placing in series.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Apr 17, 2005, 05:52 PM
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
I made 4 short flights, 4, 5, 6 and 4 minutes each, with at least 30 minutes between flights. Batteries stayed nice a cool, 95 degs or less.

I tested with my watt meter before the last flight, at WOT the pack was still holding 29.4 volts. I thought I had enough juice for another flight...just putting around, never more than half throttle.

The voltage was measured about 18 hours after the last flight...

Guess I screwed-up! Hope the packs are OK.

Brian
Old Apr 17, 2005, 06:02 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillhite
I made 4 short flights, 4, 5, 6 and 4 minutes each, with at least 30 minutes between flights. Batteries stayed nice a cool, 95 degs or less.

I tested with my watt meter before the last flight, at WOT the pack was still holding 29.4 volts. I thought I had enough juice for another flight...just putting around, never more than half throttle.

The voltage was measured about 18 hours after the last flight...

Guess I screwed-up! Hope the packs are OK.

Brian
Sounds like you did fine and I would guess all is well. I just tend to be more consertive that some. I have a TP 730 mAh 3S ProLite (Beta) pack with over 280 flights on it since Dec.31'04. It has been flown to below 11.1 volts resting right after a fligt perhaps 30 times total.
CBA Graphs are here
if you care to have a look.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Apr 17, 2005, 07:03 PM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
1,494 Posts
Brian, do a search of all Charlie Wang's posts here, but I think in the last week he made a post about maximizing pack life. I think it was in response to a guy with a 1320 pack that was dieing. Anways, as I recall, he said the pack should rise to 3.7v/cell within 20 minutes of the discharge. If it doesn't, you won't get max life out of your pack.

Now, if this means you can only use 75% of the pack's capacity, perhaps there is no gain if one only gains 25% more cycles.
adamg is offline Find More Posts by adamg
Old Apr 17, 2005, 08:20 PM
Joined Dec 2002
2,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg
Brian, do a search of all Charlie Wang's posts here, but I think in the last week he made a post about maximizing pack life. I think it was in response to a guy with a 1320 pack that was dieing. Anways, as I recall, he said the pack should rise to 3.7v/cell within 20 minutes of the discharge. If it doesn't, you won't get max life out of your pack.

Now, if this means you can only use 75% of the pack's capacity, perhaps there is no gain if one only gains 25% more cycles.
The new Thunder Power Pro Lite with its high voltage and high capacity retention at high discharge level provides:
1)15 to 30% more flight time than most other same capacity cell
2)15 to 60% more flight time with the same weight cell
3)Provide 50% to 300 % more cycle life for the same weight battery under the same operation condition (compare with same weight battery for same watt delivered with same duration per charge)

If you discharge to 80%, voltage should bounce back to 3.7V per cell

You can fly to 90% to 95% capacity as long as you cut short the flight time by 1% every 15 cycles.
If you fly to 80% from the beginning, it make things easy that you do not have to cut short any flight time untill over 250 cycles.

Charlie
Charlie Wang is offline Find More Posts by Charlie Wang
Old Apr 17, 2005, 09:42 PM
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
Thanks everyone, I will be more careful in the future. I flew two 7 minute flights tonight and the pack voltage is 15.28 (0.48 over 3.7) 4S and 19.12 (0.62 over 3.7) 5S.

Should I be worried that the 4S pack's voltage is closer to 3.7 per cell, than the 5S pack? Should be able to get 2 8 minute flights and still be safe?

I am also ging to charge at 0.7C (4.2amps) from now on.

Charlie, I have a question. The instruction sheet I received with the batteries states to discard the batteries after they loose 20% of their capacity, is this measued from a 'normal' 80% dircharge.

Brian
Old Apr 18, 2005, 05:48 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,785 Posts
I have been flying a TP6000 Gen2 battery for about 60 flights and it is starting to die. Average current draw is about 35a with peaks of 60a. Is this normal?

Will a Pro Lite pack last longer?

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man