HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2005, 08:46 AM
Joined Jun 2004
79 Posts
Hobbico SuperStar EP Select RTF w/Ailerons Newby

Hello everyone! I am new to RC flight although not new to aviation I am a instrument rated pilot with 230 hours in aircraft. I am wanting now to explore the world of rc flight and one of my instructors here at my school recomended the Hobbico SuperStar EP Select RTF w/Ailerons. I was just wanting some input on this from you all.
Thanks Kyle Elliott
Kyonic is offline Find More Posts by Kyonic
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:24 PM
UAV's are my bag... baby.
Rapid City, South Dakota
Joined Oct 2004
356 Posts
The E-Zone reviewer liked it very much...
E-Zone Review

-- Brian Stone
direwolf is offline Find More Posts by direwolf
Old Apr 17, 2005, 04:04 PM
Bristol, Maine
Joined Dec 2004
285 Posts
There are about 300-500 posts on this airplane ..Do search..SS EP..or
scroll down to April 14 th and look at:
SuperStar EP Maiden Flight - First time Pilot (Part II)

Good hunting! John Sard
daddysard is offline Find More Posts by daddysard
Old Apr 17, 2005, 05:05 PM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,970 Posts
The Superstar would probably be fine. Especially if you fly with an instructor.

However. A word to the wise. I used to fly 1:1 scale from Piper Cub all the way to a Piper Seneca II. Flying RC models is NOT the same, and is NOT easier. The only difference is that a crash will not result in bodily harm...(unless you crash into someone) You cannot fly "by the seat of your pants". Get in some RC flight simulator time before you head out to the field. It'll make the transition much easier.

Have fun!

RW
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Apr 17, 2005, 08:17 PM
Pilot In Command
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined May 2004
375 Posts
Kyle,

Here's some good reading on a great plane! Lots of upgrade info too.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290580

and part 2.....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344927

Cheers!
Bob
BobGilmore is offline Find More Posts by BobGilmore
Old Aug 19, 2008, 03:34 PM
Joined Aug 2008
8 Posts
What's with the availability of this and other trainers?

Doing a pretty hardy search for ARF trainers and every one is coming up with October availability.

Have a backorder for a Sig Kadet EP-42B and Tower Hobbies just pushed it from late Sept to October.

Go looking at this Superstar and it's the same thing.

The challenge is to get a Kadet-style trainer, ARF minus the radio, in the $109 (Superstar) to $159 (EP-42B) in time for my brothers birthday in the beginning of Sept.

I also noted the CSRC Quattro, which is $99, but by the time I match the motor with it, another $85 is in there, making it not comparable to the other two.

If anyone has stock on one of these, that includes motor/ESC/battery, let me know.

I'm stymied that all the online suppliers and my local shop are out of the same models at the same time...

Thanks!
Roger
ltklein is offline Find More Posts by ltklein
Old Aug 20, 2008, 07:10 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,970 Posts
It's a conspiracy...

Have you looked for the MPX Magister?
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Aug 20, 2008, 08:43 AM
West Texas
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
good plane, the stock NiCd battery is limited to only 5-7 minute flights, so if you are training and want to practice lining up to land, you'd better get busy doing so right after take offs

Spend an extra $35 and get the 7-Cell 8.4V 3000mAh NiMH . You will need to change out the connector style on the stock plane, but with a Deans style connector, you will be much better off and it is not hard to do.

Get a charger that will charge the NiMh batteries, the one that comes with the plane will not work.

Cycle the battery 4 times before you use it first and you will get 10-12 minutes with throttle managment and changing the stock prop out for a Master Airscrew 9x5 G/F G3 Nylon Propeller Buy 3 props, trust me on this.
at $2 each it's not a big deal.

I wished I would have just gone ahead and bought/known these things when I bought my Superstar EP.

you might also look at buying some 2.25 inch Dubro superlight wheels, they help for grass landings and cost under $5 also I think.

I love the plane now, with the new battery giving more time and the prop giving a better climb rate and longer battery life.

I know it seems like alot of changes/upgrades but the plane does have a few short comings in stock form, but with a little tweaking it is my favorite plane now and I am comfortable taking off in 12 mph winds.

read Greg Coveys review on it, that helped me a bunch
Mancos is offline Find More Posts by Mancos
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:42 PM
some where over the rainbow
Joined Aug 2008
141 Posts
this plane after the easy star, good idea?
toon BOB is offline Find More Posts by toon BOB
Last edited by toon BOB; Aug 21, 2008 at 07:16 AM.