HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2005, 05:42 PM
DTB
United States, FL, Clermont
Joined Mar 2003
149 Posts
Self Destructed 2812-0850

I was flying my Diablo 3D today as usual while showing a friend the plane and what it is capable of doing. All of a sudden while in level flight, the motor self destructed. Literally, the motor failed in flight. Luckily, I was able to land the plane with only minor damage. There has been no crash or any other damage to the motor since building the plane. The rear fitting seems to have failed and let go. The only things that held the motor attached to the plane were the wires leading to the Phx 25. I thought the motor mount had come undone at first until I saw exactly what happened.

I'm not the type to jump to say "defect", but this seems clearly a defective item. The self destruction action caused damage to one contact wires internally. The insulation was cut and severed contact with the motor so the motor no longer works now.

Has anyone had any problems with the Himaxx 2812-0850 doing this?

I plan to contact Himaxx about this.
DTB is offline Find More Posts by DTB
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2005, 07:32 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Is this one of the "new and improved" ones with the different rear can configuartion for better cooling and a larger, 4mm shaft? I believe I read another thread where one of the new ones had one of the bearings slip right out of the case! This looks similar to what happened to yours. I think they might have a problem with machining tolerances. I'd say this was a defect and send it back for replacement.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Apr 16, 2005, 07:48 PM
Pembroke Pines Florida
Joined Jan 2003
498 Posts
I have the same motor had the identical thing happen to mine.It occurred in mid flight.I had my lhs ship it back along with some other himax motors he had issues with.In the meantime I picked up the 1080 and to be honest I'm happier with it.Its been about 2 weeks,haven't had a response yet.
alvinm is offline Find More Posts by alvinm
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:04 AM
DTB
Joined Mar 2003
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Is this one of the "new and improved" ones with the different rear can configuartion for better cooling and a larger, 4mm shaft? I believe I read another thread where one of the new ones had one of the bearings slip right out of the case! This looks similar to what happened to yours. I think they might have a problem with machining tolerances. I'd say this was a defect and send it back for replacement.
Tom, this is the first design with the smaller rear section. After looking at the motor, that is exactly what happened. The bearing came out where it shouldn't have.

I will be contacting Himaxx as soon as Monday comes. I tried to call today, but they did not answer the phone. I have had this motor since 02/23/05 which is far from the 2 year warranty that they claim the motors to have. Did the other person get a replacement?
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:08 AM
DTB
Joined Mar 2003
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinm
I have the same motor had the identical thing happen to mine.It occurred in mid flight.I had my lhs ship it back along with some other himax motors he had issues with.In the meantime I picked up the 1080 and to be honest I'm happier with it.Its been about 2 weeks,haven't had a response yet.
Alvinm, that is exactly what happened. I was in the middle of a flight and the thing pulled apart in flight. Luckily I was able to land with minor damage.

I haven't tried the 1080, but that's an idea. If Himaxx gives me the run around, I will just get a AXI next time but I imagine Himaxx will honor their product warranty as I have only had it for 2 months and still have the receipt of purchase which proves it.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:42 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTB
Tom, this is the first design with the smaller rear section. After looking at the motor, that is exactly what happened. The bearing came out where it shouldn't have.

I will be contacting Himaxx as soon as Monday comes. I tried to call today, but they did not answer the phone. I have had this motor since 02/23/05 which is far from the 2 year warranty that they claim the motors to have. Did the other person get a replacement?
Now that I think about it more, I believe the other person also had this happen to the original version, and they got a replacement that was the new version. I can't find the thread reference to point you to it right now.. try a search. I also have the original version, but have only been flying it on 8-cell NiMH packs. I wish mine would fly apart so I can get a free replacement with the larger shaft

<edit> I am also flying mine with the fixed body portion forward, not the firewall mount like yours, so there is no way the bearing could pull out of mine.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:55 AM
DTB
Joined Mar 2003
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Now that I think about it more, I believe the other person also had this happen to the original version, and they got a replacement that was the new version. I can't find the thread reference to point you to it right now.. try a search. I also have the original version, but have only been flying it on 8-cell NiMH packs. I wish mine would fly apart so I can get a free replacement with the larger shaft

<edit> I am also flying mine with the fixed body portion forward, not the firewall mount like yours, so there is no way the bearing could pull out of mine.
Thanks Tom and good luck with yours. I hope I do get a new version. I thought my firewall became undone at first until I saw the full extend as to what happened.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 02:57 AM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
I think you will get the replacement, but be warned maxx products has really poor service. Unless they want you to pay some money, there will be no communication at all with you. And it takes forever from the many posts I have read. Don't be surprised if it's like 2 months. I sent in a NIB defective motor a month ago and nothing yet. I don't bother calling because I hear I will just get the runaround. Basically, I have written off that motor and plan to order another motor brand as replacement.

-Kwok
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Old Apr 17, 2005, 09:40 AM
DTB
Joined Mar 2003
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwok_Yu
I think you will get the replacement, but be warned maxx products has really poor service. Unless they want you to pay some money, there will be no communication at all with you. And it takes forever from the many posts I have read. Don't be surprised if it's like 2 months. I sent in a NIB defective motor a month ago and nothing yet. I don't bother calling because I hear I will just get the runaround. Basically, I have written off that motor and plan to order another motor brand as replacement.

-Kwok
Thanks for the heads up Kwok. If I get the run around, I'll probably just get a AXI next time. The Himaxx is/was a great motor, but if the service is that bad, I'd rather not have to deal with them again if I get the run around.

Thanks again
Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:11 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
Interesting,thanks for the photo. If they had made the wall thicker they could have used set screw(s) to retain that instead of just a press fit. That one does not appear to have any form of Loctite on the assembly. Using that type of mount pus a great deal of force on the area that failed. With the wall being so thin a few prop strikes or even just vibration could stretch(elongate) it enough to cause such a problem. I really believe that mounting such out runners behind the firewall(in side the fuselage ) is a much better approach. Yes mine are mounted out in the air also but I fly profile Foamies.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:21 AM
DTB
Joined Mar 2003
149 Posts
Here are a few more photos. It is interesting that the Rear ball bearing has a threaded type pattern, but the rear section of the housing has no teeth to accept any threads. Press fit still.

Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:53 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,523 Posts
Was there any sign of a loctite product in the spriral? most people in engineering understand that a ring expands with temp' more than a pin wich is what the bearing tube is in effect.this where products like black max wich is a rubber filled loctite come into their own.i hope you are going to take the mfg' to task over it.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Apr 17, 2005, 01:42 PM
DTB
Joined Mar 2003
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod
Was there any sign of a loctite product in the spriral? most people in engineering understand that a ring expands with temp' more than a pin wich is what the bearing tube is in effect.this where products like black max wich is a rubber filled loctite come into their own.i hope you are going to take the mfg' to task over it.
There was some sort of adhesive on the press rings (engineer friend told me that is what they are and not threads), but it isn't very much at all. I don't expect to have any problems with Himaxx replacing the motor, but I just don't want to have to wait for 2 months to get a new one. I took the motor off my plane and packed it up in the same plastic container that it came in. I keep all that type of stuff for reasons like this because you never know.

Hopefully, the newer version is better designed.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:28 AM
Joined Jan 2005
251 Posts
Had the same thing happen to mine after a light nose in. I reassembled it using retaining compound and all is good.

Chris
cmacclel is offline Find More Posts by cmacclel
Old Apr 24, 2005, 02:16 PM
Panama City Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2002
704 Posts
Ditto

Same thing happened to me with the original 3mm shaft version of the 2212-850..

Warranty was provided..took 5 weeks for turn-around..received a new 4mm shaft version with a wheel collar to hold the shaft..

BobFlyer

P.s. I tried Ca first..no go....Second try Locktite..not go 640..
should have tried epoxy?? didn't just sent it in for warranty.

original post of my woes...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362410
BobFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BobFlyer
Last edited by BobFlyer; Apr 24, 2005 at 02:23 PM.