HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:51 PM
just CHUCK it!
Ramona Ca.
Joined Jun 2003
2,091 Posts
Super Dragonfly Restoration

Target's thread for wing specs on this plane inspired me to rebuild the one I have.

It's funny how something can sit around forever but for some reason when you get your hands on it there's an urge to REBUILD IT!

Here's a couple pics of the fuse and I'll have the wing coverd by this weekend.

The former owner of mine cut flaps in as I know the original design didn't have any. At least I don't think they did?

Anybody know when these came out?

Dan..........
racingodds is offline Find More Posts by racingodds
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2005, 07:42 AM
Slope Junkie
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Sep 2004
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingodds
Target's thread for wing specs on this plane inspired me to rebuild the one I have.

It's funny how something can sit around forever but for some reason when you get your hands on it there's an urge to REBUILD IT!

The former owner of mine cut flaps in as I know the original design didn't have any. At least I don't think they did?

Dan..........
Dan,

I think these came out in the early '80s. I purchased mine around '86. It was my first real slope ship and once I had mine flying, everyone wanted one. As you may or may not know, it is a very versatile ship with very forgiving characteristics. The relatively thick E374 airfoil is hard to stall and gets on-step pretty well for its time.

The original did not have flaps and used a torque rod arrangement on both ailerons with one central servo.

I would still have mine now if it were not for my son totalling it during a training session. Of course, he's a better pilot than I am at this point!

Scott
Dolphinman is offline Find More Posts by Dolphinman
Old Apr 14, 2005, 08:43 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
2,991 Posts
The smaller DragonFly came out about 1987-88 first and the larger Super was slightly after, say 88-89. DCU kitted them and produced some pretty cool kits for the time. Dream Catcher Hobbies bought the rights and molds...they recently sold their stuff, and I don't know who ended up with them from there.
Andy
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Apr 14, 2005, 09:10 AM
Slope Junkie
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Sep 2004
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by droydx
The smaller DragonFly came out about 1987-88 first and the larger Super was slightly after, say 88-89. DCU kitted them and produced some pretty cool kits for the time. Dream Catcher Hobbies bought the rights and molds...they recently sold their stuff, and I don't know who ended up with them from there.
Andy
Droydx,

Yes, I think you are correct on all accounts. I had my timeframe wrong. I think I probably acquired my Super Dragonfly around the 1989-1990 timeframe. A really fun ship that I certainly got my money's worth from until it was totalled in the summer of 2000.

Scott
Dolphinman is offline Find More Posts by Dolphinman
Old Apr 14, 2005, 09:41 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingodds

Dan..........

Dan,
You must be the first person to find me "inspirational".
I'll be watching this thread, and maybe I can post onto the end of it when I get around to working on mine.
Good luck with the project,
T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:00 AM
just CHUCK it!
Ramona Ca.
Joined Jun 2003
2,091 Posts
Ready for gear and then some stick time this weekend!

For an old bird I think these things look pretty racey.

I'll post some flight pics soon.

This thread is all your's Target!

Dan..............
Old Apr 15, 2005, 06:42 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,552 Posts
Wow, Dan,
That was fast! Too bad some of us have to work....
Looks nice, good luck on the re-maiden. Double check you control throw directions for us all.

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Apr 15, 2005, 08:23 PM
just CHUCK it!
Ramona Ca.
Joined Jun 2003
2,091 Posts
Anybody Know the CG on this thing??????????????????