Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 13, 2005, 08:32 PM
Slope elope
United States, CA, El Cerrito
Joined Nov 2004
497 Posts
Whoops!
Help me, I'm stupid -- what am I missing here?

OK, so I'm re-setting up my GWS dragonfly. Just like it was in the past, and every other dragonfly out there, my main rotor spins clockwise (looking at it from the top). OK. This means that the fuselage naturally wants to rotate in the opposite direction--counter-clockwise. OK. The tail rotor is on the left. The prop spins and pushes air away from the tail (to the left) which, as it increases, just adds more to the fuse torque rather than countering it.

I'm such an idiot. How can I get my damn tail rotor to counter the main's torque? What am I missing?

Cziltang Brone is offline Find More Posts by Cziltang Brone
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2005, 08:39 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2004
2,358 Posts
twitch the possitive and neg wire around that connects to the tail motor. The prop is only designed to run one way.... check that.
Philpops is offline Find More Posts by Philpops
Old Apr 13, 2005, 08:46 PM
Slope elope
Joined Nov 2004
497 Posts
Yeah my first thought was to switch the polarity of the tail rotor(being a good little Star Trek fan), but when I do, the Gyro never gives me the green light.

Further more it just seemed conceptually wrong. That the tail rotor would blow through the boom rather than away from it? Am I making any sense?
Old Apr 13, 2005, 08:52 PM
2 Turbos...Nope 1 Big one
United States, PA, Lake Wynonah
Joined Aug 2004
1,801 Posts
Yeah, the air should blow to the right when standing behind the heli. It doesnt matter what side the prop is mounted on. Many move it on the left, so the COOLING air blows over the motor, like your setup, (once you reverse the polarity) The gyro not arming, is very strange, since it has now way of knowing if the wires are connected to the neg or positive on the motor. Are you letting it sit completely still for 5 seconds after plugging in?
skeppley is offline Find More Posts by skeppley
Old Apr 13, 2005, 08:52 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
Sounds like your tail blade is on backwards. Is this a brushed set up? With tail at your feet and the nose pointing away from you, the main rotor turns clockwise, the tail prop should be pushing air to the right. You can check this by disconnection the main motor from the RX or ESC and connection the battery. Hold the heli by the LG and give it a quick turn jerk (nose tot he left, tail to the right). The tail motor should kick in hard. BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET HIT BY THE TAIL PROP. If it does not kick hard, you may have to adjust the gyro gain to give it more authority. Hope this helps.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Apr 13, 2005, 08:55 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
As for not arming, you may have to move the stick to the left and hold it for 5 secs then carefully move it to center. With my GY240 that is the only way to get it to arm the tail.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Apr 13, 2005, 09:31 PM
Slope elope
Joined Nov 2004
497 Posts
Yeah you guys are absolutely right. Of course, reversing the polarity is the only logical possibility. Seems that I just wasn't waiting long enough for the Gyro to arm. Of course, I was thinking that logically you wouldn't be hooking up the red wire to black wire. Perhaps my Gyro was designed for right hand side tail motor.

Anyway, got it straightened out. Much thanks.

Now I feel...less stupid.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 09:50 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,122 Posts
It is not the gyro design.. tail motors can be wired differently whether they are for geared props of DD, so it can be a lottery which wire is the red one etc. I solved this problem by wiring up the tail red to red, and then fitting a non-polarised micro Deans connector in the circuit, so I can switch over if the new tail motor is wired the other way round.

Traps for young players, that's all, certainly not stupidity, which I reserve for those people who don't see how much fun we are having!!
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott