SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 13, 2005, 07:25 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Dandy From Mountain Models

I have a Mountain Models Duskstik that has always been my night flier, it has been sitting a long time and was in need of some TLC which got me thinking. The Mountain Models Dandy would be a perfect night flier!! I don't see much on here lately about the Dandy with the standard Poly wing, this is a plane that has been around for a long time and thought it would be fun to do with a CD rom style motor small 2 cell battery and some lights! Since I had everything except the Dandy I decided to order one the other day. Today in the mail was my new Dandy kit, I gathered up my electronics and will get started building Friday night! I will take pictures of the build (It's a very fast one) and post them here for anybody that may be interested. We are always getting newer faster better bigger models, sometimes I forget that just taking some of the newer advancement in electric flight and applying them to time tested models can be a lot of fun. I had a Dandy a while back and it was fun but it was also heavy compared to what this one will weigh, this should be a fun little plane that looks very cool at night and fun to fly in the day maybe finding a thermal or two with it's large wing span and low weight.

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2005, 07:52 PM
Cal
San Gabriel, California
Joined Aug 2004
1,583 Posts
You'll crash it..........
Cal is offline Find More Posts by Cal
Old Apr 13, 2005, 07:54 PM
Joined Jun 2004
682 Posts
I agree....can't go wrong with a MM kit. Good choice of components, but what is the esc in the picture?

I've never flown at night.....do you fly in total darkness, with street lights, or leave your headlights on? How do you guage altitude on landing approach?

Maybe I'll try it this summer!

Jerry
DoctorFive is offline Find More Posts by DoctorFive
Old Apr 13, 2005, 07:54 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,254 Posts
Dandy idea...

Jim,cool...I've got a Dandy in the bag also...I'm lately on a Switchback flying binge and already think of doing another with transparent covering,lighter motor,and maybe that Curek light system I've read about...I forgot to buy the light system at Toledo 2 weeks ago.Please share the particulars,wgt.price,etc.Thanks...we will be looking forward to your build. JIM
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Apr 13, 2005, 08:09 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
You'll crash it..........
Probably!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFive
I agree....can't go wrong with a MM kit. Good choice of components, but what is the esc in the picture?

I've never flown at night.....do you fly in total darkness, with street lights, or leave your headlights on? How do you guage altitude on landing approach?

Maybe I'll try it this summer!

Jerry
It's not a ESC it's a Curtek Lighting kit! Yes, total darkness. I'll cover the wing tips in semi transparent covering with the lights inside the wings. Makes for a great looking night flier.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 09:27 AM
Will fly some day
Brampton, ON
Joined Dec 2003
361 Posts
Sounds interesting. Keep on posting your progress. What is your flying location, I am planning something similar in a parking lot at night.
willfly is offline Find More Posts by willfly
Old Apr 14, 2005, 10:55 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,319 Posts
Flying MM

Brunswick,

I think I saw you fly your MM at the golf dome maybe a year ago or so. It was real nice, you did a good job. I have (and was flying in the dome) a Slow Stick with lights on it. It was fun when they shut the lights off in the dome for the light guys.

I rigged my own LED system up but the only thing I wish I had is the capacity to turn them off in mid flight (other than wiring up a servo-switch). I know someone here offers one but as I recall it was around $25.

Let me know when you are night flying and I will fly too. Maybe we can get a rash of UFO sightings in Ohio.

Good luck with the build and keep us posted.
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:01 PM
Electric Foamie Nut
Ellensburg Bowers Fld, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2003
240 Posts
Are those Waypoint servos? If they are thats my exact radio setup for my MM Magpie.
BigMitch is offline Find More Posts by BigMitch
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:06 PM
Cal
San Gabriel, California
Joined Aug 2004
1,583 Posts
How do you guys keep your orientation ?? I put on one of those HobbyZone night flight modules on my Slo-V and I couldn't tell which way was which !?!?
Cal is offline Find More Posts by Cal
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:12 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Servos are HS55's

Orientation, you get used to it. That's why it's best to use a plane that's not overly fast.

Jim
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:14 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Started building this morning! No building board, no pins, nothing but a kitchen counter, some wax paper, and some CA both thick and thin along with some accelerator. Here are the tail sections glued up, very straight forward, took about a minute to complete.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:15 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Here I have the ribs fitted onto the main wing spar. Again everything is a great fit and just takes a second to slip on the ribs. They are all numbered so there is no confusion.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:16 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Next I attached the leading and training edges to the ribs. All pieces have identifying letters on them so you can’t help but get them oriented correctly. One mistake I did make was when installing the “turbulator strips” which are the balsa strips that run parallel to the leading edge I installed them on the flat instead of vertically(thinking in my head that this would be a good point of adhesion for the covering. I then realized that they wouldn’t have any structure when installed that way and the rubber bands used to hold the wing on may crush them so I installed some small strips of balsa under the turbulator strips in the section that the rubber bands will go over to create a kind of “I” beam, very sold and should not give me any problems.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:16 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Here I have laid out the fuselage sides and attached the doublers. This was also simple and the fuselage sides are labeled so you can’t help but get them correct.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:17 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Here I have installed the bulkheads into the fuselage bottom, again it was simple. The instructions did say not to install F5 at this time but I think that is just to keep you from accidently glueing the battery door to the fuselage bottom. I went ahead and installed it using thick CA and accelerator being careful not to glue down the battery door.