Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by jgmtens, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 06, 2005, 09:06 PM
Joined Sep 2004
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Cool -- hey, can you show me how to do paint masking? I can't seem to get my arms around the idea...

I never got an answer to this, so I thought I would post some pictures of my waterslide decals from Bel Decals...
the top shape is cut out as a stencil for the blue field. the bottom is for the white star and bars stencil. just cut out the shape, lay it on the surface to be painted and spray. best to adhere it temporarily to the surface somehow, and cover the remaining exposed surface to protect from overspray.
geo8498 is offline Find More Posts by geo8498
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2005, 02:14 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,589 Posts
Fokker DR1

I was just alerted to this thread--what a great resource! Thought I'd contribute a few of my own decal sets.

These are the decals for my Fokker DR1 parkflyer (36.5" wingspan). They are modeled after Ltn August Raben's airplane in Jasta 18, but this scheme is well-known today because a DR1 replica in France wears it. I've attached a preview below, a PDF file with the high-rez graphics, a photo of my model, and a photo of the full-scale replica.

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Oct 12, 2005, 02:17 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,589 Posts
F-18 Blue Angel

Here are the Blue Angels decals for my F-18 park jet. I've attached two thumbnail previews and a picture of the original model below, and the 300 dpi GIF file is available at the following link. These are intended to be printed on opaque white Avery label paper, hence the navy blue fill inside the letters.

F-18 Blue Angels Decals

Steve
Old Oct 12, 2005, 02:25 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,589 Posts
F-14 Tomcat

Here are the decals for my F-14 Tomcat park jet. These are modeled after the famous Jolly Rogers squadron, and specifically after the F-14 that's on display at the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

There are two sheets here, and for best results each should be printed on a different kind of label paper. The colorful ones on page 1 should be printed on opaque white and the black/gray ones on page 2 should be printed on clear.

Previews are posted below, and the files (300 dpi GIFs) are available at the links below:

http://jetset44.rchomepage.com/F-14_Decals_Page_1.gif

http://jetset44.rchomepage.com/F-14_Decals_Page_2.gif

Steve
Old Oct 12, 2005, 02:31 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,589 Posts
Saab JAS39 Gripen

Here are the decals for my JAS39 Gripen park jet. Previews are posted below, and the high resolution graphics are available in the ZIP file.

Steve
Old Oct 22, 2005, 03:58 PM
Undecided, Canada
Joined Aug 2005
341 Posts
RCAF images

The Royal Canadian Air Force has provided a lot of great resources for that special Canadian scale project that I know all of you are planning. All of these images are free to use.

Individual RCAF squadron insignia and badges

Roundels, flags, and various insignia
deSelby is offline Find More Posts by deSelby
Old Oct 22, 2005, 05:37 PM
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Oct 2002
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_spotter
Also are there any gauges or instrument panel I can print out to increase scale like appearance,
Spitfire panel:
RickG is offline Find More Posts by RickG
Old Oct 23, 2005, 03:09 AM
Ay up it's warped
Derbyshire UK
Joined Feb 2003
1,304 Posts
Sorry could not resist this one
mtbrider is offline Find More Posts by mtbrider
Old Oct 27, 2005, 08:38 AM
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Oct 2002
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCaste
Mtbrider ->
Hmm. anyone knows where can I get the decals for the spanish version of the F-18? It would be nice to have at least these:
Try here:

http://www.rc-network.de/magazin/art...4-0040-01.html

There's a section for Spain that has the roundels. If you look through some of the others you should come up with the jet intake ones too.

Spar, look at the JG 73 Steinhoff section, and you'll find the Mig logo.
RickG is offline Find More Posts by RickG
Old Oct 27, 2005, 10:22 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-40
Here are some pictures of the finished model. Any help with the graphics would be greatly appreciated.
Do a google search on "Big Beautiful Doll P-51 markings" (or decals). There are lots of pictures of this paint scheme. Sorry I forgot to save the links I found, but they were all on the first and second pages of that search. Also this site has a nice markings sheet for P-51's, not your scheme, but shows the general AF and technical labels markings.http://www.composite-arf.co.uk/MustangTips.htm

Most of the standard AF markings are already in this thread, including the kill flags for under the canopy.

I don't have time to hand draw these for you now, but I did play around with modifying some Windows fonts and came up with these. Not accurate scale designs, but they might do. Just scale to the size you need and print on clear label stock. You might try it on plain paper first to see if you got the scale right and if you like the look.

Good luck.
Cary Reeves is offline Find More Posts by Cary Reeves
Last edited by Cary Reeves; Oct 27, 2005 at 10:30 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 12:41 PM
Modeller Dilettante
Vancouver
Joined Sep 2005
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonsos
I'm looking for Corsir nose art as this
Thanks in advance
This was posted a few pages back: http://www.thepinupfiles.com/index2.html
Worth a look if you're looking for a nice lady to put on the nose.
markusj is offline Find More Posts by markusj
Old Oct 30, 2005, 09:31 AM
Semper Fi, Do or Die
Titusville, Fla
Joined Jan 2003
1,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon NFL
Quick question. Where can I get "white" printed on clear, water slide, decal paper. I need some white letters, with black outline, printed for transfer onto a red surface. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Jon

I don't use waterslide but here's my solution for white lettering. I print my lettering and symbols out on Avery clear label sheets. For white I then cut the symbol out and stick it on white adhesive backed monocote. You can see a sample on my F-4J, the stars and bars were printed that way.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=565131

For just white lettering I draw the lettering out backwards on the paper side of the adhesive monocote and cut them out with an Xacto knife. Thats what I did for my P-51 and F4U below.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=422190
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=428279

BB
kscbob1 is offline Find More Posts by kscbob1
Old Nov 04, 2005, 12:52 AM
Cliff
Chattahoochee,Fla
Joined Dec 2004
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS
cwskr, how long do you have to soak the photo paper print before it (the printed logo) will lift so that it can be removed and placed where you want it?

I'm trying to scale down the Hamiliton Standard logo to go on a prop.

Thanks...
there is no soak no lift. trim from photo paper just like a photograph. and glue on. the clear decal paper shows thru, the label paper doesn't stick and when you seal it it wrinkles all up. Photo paper decals glued is the way to go for me anyway.Cliff
cwksr is offline Find More Posts by cwksr
Old Nov 04, 2005, 10:45 PM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwksr
Cary, Yes just basically generic like you might find on a 50's hotrod. I'm trying a nutty scheme on a GWS Corsair in dark blue-black or blackish purple and want to flame the entire wing LE top side. One smaller behind the cowl both sides. The yellow -orange -red appealed to me. I'm no artist so it has to be avery 8665 clear label sheets. Need something I can size to fit as desired. Thanks
O.K. I drew the flames based on some low res designs I saw on the web. I did a continuos color gradient from red to yellow starting at the far left and continuing to the far right. Another alternative would be to have a gradient in each piece of the flame, but I don't think that is the look you want. I also just noticed that I reversed the gradient from what you showed in your example; i.e. I went red to yellow, it went yellow to red. Anyway, here is the sample. The PDF is just one large, vector, colored flame like the one on the left in the thumbnail. On the right in the thumbnail, I showed what the pattern looks like if you repeat it side by side. You should be able to scale for size and aspect ratio. If you want some changes let me know. Color changes are easy. Hope this helps.

**Edit** here are some examples of color variations and gradient styles. Let me know if you have a preference and I'll try to get it right for you.
Last edited by Cary Reeves; Nov 05, 2005 at 08:37 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2005, 12:27 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
I would have sworn I posted these a few weeks ago, but I can't find them now. Sorry if it is a dupicate. I drew these for my build of DAF's Nieuport.
Last edited by Cary Reeves; Nov 05, 2005 at 12:34 AM.