HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2002, 04:26 AM
Netherlands
Joined Feb 2002
91 Posts
Searching for foam Flying wing

Hello there,

I want to build a flying wing for thermal flights. Wingspan about 2,5 - 3 meters. Has to be a foam wing. Also electric powered.
Someone knows a free plan on the web?

Thanx
Devine is offline Find More Posts by Devine
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2002, 04:37 AM
Hervey Bay, Sunny Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2001
1,773 Posts
That's big for a foamie

Hi
Just a quick question.... at 2.5 - 3 metres that's gonna be pretty big for a foamie... will you beef it up with carbon rods as spars (recommended as foam this big will be very flexible)? Why does it has to be a foamie??? Built up would be better at this size or veneer over foam would be better (though heavier, it will penetrate better and will fly better as well).
Also do a web search on flying wings and you'll get plenty of good infomation. I had tons when I was making a wing but I trashed it about a week ago (the bookmarks).
As well check out RCsoaring.com and go to the discussion area.

Later
G
Masterpiece is offline Find More Posts by Masterpiece
Old Apr 03, 2002, 05:58 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,455 Posts
A giant flying wing was made by taking the Zagi type wing and expanding the size. I know that a number of 8 foot wings were made and have been flown at Los Banos. I also have seen one super size one (16 feet) on what was called it's last flight. It came in four sections and used two receivers and a number of servos to control the elevons. I don't think they made any plans. They just expanded the Zagi template and cut large blocks of foam accordingly. They had to make three templates. One for the center cuts, one for the two middle cuts and one for the end cuts. Hopefully someone with more information will respond. I know the 8 footers I saw had no spar and no sheeting but they had a lot of tape. I have a 4 foot double thick that weighes almost three pounds. It is the maximum size per some combat rules. Very stabile and Zagis bounce off.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2002, 06:09 AM
Netherlands
Joined Feb 2002
91 Posts
Thanx

I want to cover it with 1mm balsa and use some carbon rods. I want to make it out of foam because all the wingprofiles have a S shape and I think it is easy to make it out of foam instead of wood.
Devine is offline Find More Posts by Devine
Old Apr 03, 2002, 05:30 PM
ovid MI USA
Joined May 2000
622 Posts
There is a review on ezone where someone put electric power on a Mongo jr wing, I think it was about 2m span. They make bigger ones also. ----Mike
Superbike is offline Find More Posts by Superbike
Old Apr 03, 2002, 09:01 PM
La Grange, Georgia, United States
Joined Nov 2001
797 Posts
If you check the Foamies forum there's a a model called the Zagnutz that a guy developed originally for gliding and later modified for electric. He has a real detailed website on the construction ( its built from fan fold but could modified I'm sure ). Might be a good place to start. I chatted with a guy last night who had built a 66" version of it and loved it.
emoone is offline Find More Posts by emoone
Old Apr 05, 2002, 01:17 PM
Making Cuisinarts Fly!!!!
Richardson, Texas
Joined Dec 2001
298 Posts
Go here:

http://www.flyingfoam.com/products.html

Look at their mothership. I have been eying it for a while. If you call them they will work with you to make it to your specs.

For a pure thermal ship I would get it made of all 1# EPS. I think you could get the wing loading to be under 5 oz/sq.ft.
RCAddict is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict
Old Apr 05, 2002, 01:19 PM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
Zagnutz

I built a Zagnutz foam wing and it builds very quickly. I have *no* idea how it flies, however since I am still waiting (thanks for the delay ServoCity) for my radio gear to arrive.

Supposedly it will fly pretty well, although it seems a little heavy for the approx. 48" wingspan.
fprintf is offline Find More Posts by fprintf
Old Apr 08, 2002, 09:50 PM
Napa, California, United States
Joined Feb 2001
31 Posts
Mega Manta is a decent thermaler. 72" wing span.

Try www.proseth.com.

Also Doug just cut cores for a 8' fllying wing glider.

garyg
garyg is offline Find More Posts by garyg
Old Apr 08, 2002, 10:24 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Jeff Meyers reviewed the Mega Manta here.. it could be lightened up with smaller cells and motor, and be a great thermal ship..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W