HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:34 PM
WGH
Iowa
Joined Dec 2003
108 Posts
New Art Hobby Hybrid 1.5 DL

I ordered one last week, anybody else getting one?
WGH is offline Find More Posts by WGH
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:20 AM
Michael K.
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Oct 2004
202 Posts
I am thinking of getting one. It looks like an improvement over the Hyper-DL. I wonder how slow it can fly with flaperons deployed? It is advertised as having a fast wing. Maybe it is difficult to catch if the flaperons can't slow it down without stalling.
vol-haut is offline Find More Posts by vol-haut
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:24 PM
WGH
Iowa
Joined Dec 2003
108 Posts
Quote:
It looks like an improvement over the Hyper-DL
I wonder if they addressed the tail boom and fuselage spliting problem? I'll just reinforce those areas anyway no need to take a chance.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:43 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Do you think a build thread on it for us... I know it's time consuming to take pics, etc but I've been eyeing art hobby products for a bit as the pics seem to show nice models and the price is definately right !
Mike
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Apr 14, 2005, 01:07 PM
WGH
Iowa
Joined Dec 2003
108 Posts
I really don't have time to do a build thread but I can take some close up detailed pictures of all the parts so you can get an idea of the quality. I have their JK Thermic and on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the Highest) I would rate it a solid 8 it would have been a 9 but some of the hardware like control horns and stuff was not that great. I would expect that the Hybrid is just as nice.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 02:37 PM
WGH
Iowa
Joined Dec 2003
108 Posts
Still waiting for mine to arrive was suppose to ship first part of last week, must have been a delay.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 01:41 PM
WGH
Iowa
Joined Dec 2003
108 Posts
The Hybrid came today, just happen to have the day off too what fun! The pics on the Art hobby website show plenty of detail so I won't post any here why waste the bandwidth. Looks like they haven't changed the fuse and tailboom design, there wasn't any carbon or kevlar reinforcing so I added some carbon to the fuse and wrapped the tailboom hope that will be enough I don't want to add to much weight.
The kit is the usual Art Hobby quality every thing is very nice.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 02:45 PM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Nov 2002
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH
every thing is very nice.
Except that they lied on their web site:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtHobby
Glider fuselage pod is made from pre-painted, molded composite materials carbon reinforced
Anyway, I am still interested to hear how yours turns out - especially if it will balance without a ton of lead given they increased the boom length by about 90 mm. You might want to consider checking the tail volume coefficients and adjust accordingly. On the Hyper-DL the vertical was too small and horizontal too big. Plus the wood was too heavy - I did my own using light balsa and .75 oz glass and reduced the weight by over half.

Any chance you could weigh the pieces and post the results?

Jason
DlgHucker is online now Find More Posts by DlgHucker
Old Apr 22, 2005, 06:32 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,137 Posts
So they reduced the wing area and increased the boom length without increasing the length of the pod. Of course you will need more nose ballast. Just what the Hyper needed - higher wingloading.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Apr 22, 2005, 10:11 PM
WGH
Iowa
Joined Dec 2003
108 Posts
Too late to weigh things she's all put together and ready for test flying tomorrow. Ended up with 2 180 grain 45 slugs in the nose along with a 270mah pack. I glassed the areas they said to and shot a few light coats of dep on the wings and tail parts sanded between coats no color just natural wood, I added stripes to my Thermic and when you're high enough where you need them you can't see them, when your low you can see them and don't need them so why add the extra weight.

It sure didn't look like there was any carbon in the pod, I know my thermic pod has carbon in it you have no problem seeing it.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 06:23 PM
Joined Mar 2004
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH
Too late to weigh things she's all put together and ready for test flying tomorrow. Ended up with 2 180 grain 45 slugs in the nose along with a 270mah pack. I glassed the areas they said to and shot a few light coats of dep on the wings and tail parts sanded between coats no color just natural wood, I added stripes to my Thermic and when you're high enough where you need them you can't see them, when your low you can see them and don't need them so why add the extra weight.

It sure didn't look like there was any carbon in the pod, I know my thermic pod has carbon in it you have no problem seeing it.
So what is your flying weight with and without battery pack?
uabass is offline Find More Posts by uabass
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:46 AM
Woodland Park, CO
Joined Jul 2000
828 Posts
Any report on how the Hybrid flies yet?
Tim K is offline Find More Posts by Tim K
Old Apr 25, 2005, 02:24 PM
WGH
Iowa
Joined Dec 2003
108 Posts
Hello,

Well we have had 15 to 20 mph winds all weekend and today its raining and windy, so she is still setting on the work bench. Uabass, I couldn't tell you what the finished weight is, my cheap old scale is'nt very accurate so I haven't even bothered weighing it.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 03:42 PM
WGH
Iowa
Joined Dec 2003
108 Posts
Took the Hybrid out this morning and got one good flight in between 20 mph wind gust. Actually the wind had died down to around 5 mph for a short time this morning so I took it out, I did a few normal tosses to trim it out and then a nice easy DL it went up great and flew great but then the wind came up and the rest of the flights were pretty lousy. The field I fly at is small and has an L shaped grove of trees around it so the NW wind comes rolling over the trees and creates all kinds of fun turbulance it actually will push you right to the ground but if you can get above the trees you can ride the wave.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 03:51 PM
Hesparia,CA
Joined Apr 2004
414 Posts
is it better then the hyper?
tsunami is offline Find More Posts by tsunami