HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2002, 10:21 PM
SLC, UT
Joined Apr 2002
14 Posts
Acro Bipe

Hello, I am vary new to R/c Flight and have followed the numerous threads on the Acro Bipe. I am pleased to say that my planes have come in 2day. So I have a few questions.

I would like to know what electronics combinations and battery packs that have been sucessfully been used on your planes.

I bought 2 of the Acro Bipe's to make a slow/long flight time one and a fast/acrobatic one.

As of yet I havent purchased any of the electronics.
Since I am haveing to purchase one part at a time I can be choosie and get the best combination of stuff.

Any and all advice would be apreciated.
Thank you for your time.
Wilber is offline Find More Posts by Wilber
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2002, 09:04 AM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
Slow, N20 4/1 5x4 6c 120 nimh. Fast, GWS direct 3x2 6c 220 nimh. Supersonic, add 2 cells. All the radio gear is GWS.

Mike
Mikerjf is offline Find More Posts by Mikerjf
Old Apr 04, 2002, 12:13 AM
SLC, UT
Joined Apr 2002
14 Posts
E charger Kp00 work ?

I happend to be in walmart and I noticed the e charger planes that some folks were talking about. I picked up 2 of them and got the motor assy's out of them.

I was thinking they might make a nice motor for the slow version.

thx again.
Old Apr 04, 2002, 08:53 AM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
Too small and geared wrong (2.75/1)

Mike
Old Apr 04, 2002, 06:04 PM
SLC, UT
Joined Apr 2002
14 Posts
N20

Who produces the N20 motor GWS ?

So far I have decided to use 3 hs 50 servos.

any recomentation for a good 4 channel recever ?

FMA has what looks like a nice basic 4 channel tx that I can buy seperatly. Does anyone sell futaba or hitec tx's seperatly ?
thx again for all your help..

Steve
Old Apr 05, 2002, 08:58 AM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
3 channels would be enough for an N20 version. Use all the GWS radio gear, it's the lightest reasonably priced stuff on the market, rcvrs $28 with xtal.

Mike
Old Apr 05, 2002, 09:55 AM
Senior to who? Member
Annapolis, Maryland USA
Joined Feb 2001
2,450 Posts
Re: N20

While I have failed more than suceeded with the N-20, I would be VERY surprised if you could fly with 3 HS-50 servos. You are talking 20+gram just for the radio gear, then another 15-30gram for a battery(4cells may not cut it for motor and 3 servos),7 gram for motor and prop. So an AUW of
over 3 ounces is where you are headed. 20gram of thrust is about it for the N-20 unless you go to 6 cells or more(smoke anyone?)> You will be right on the edge for power to weight.
Anyone who has good info on heavy N-20 rigs please chime in...
crossup

Quote:
Originally posted by Wilber
Who produces the N20 motor GWS ?

So far I have decided to use 3 hs 50 servos.

any recomentation for a good 4 channel recever ?

FMA has what looks like a nice basic 4 channel tx that I can buy seperatly. Does anyone sell futaba or hitec tx's seperatly ?
thx again for all your help..

Steve
crossup is offline Find More Posts by crossup
Old Apr 05, 2002, 01:47 PM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
From a post by Jason Nowell in RC Microflights forum:

Well guys, I think I'm incredibly happy with the performance of the new Acro Bipe, no pics yet, but you guys know what they look like

My new one I went all out with and got it down to 2.8 ounces AUW. I used an N-20 motor in Bob Selmans 4:1 gearbox and Gunther push on prop from my Zagi. For batt's, I used a 6 cell 120mAh Ni-mh from Dan Kreigh, thanks Dan. With that setup I am getting almost 6 minutes of flight. Plus the flight is slow, stable and perfect for a Gym. Everyone at the Bedford Boys Ranch last week stopped and watched it every flight, Jerry Small even stole my transmitter and took her for a spin.

I did a LOT of solder work on this one. On a GWS reciever, it doesn't take 4 hours to remove the pin block, just pry the black plastic pin base off and then heat the back side and pull each pin out with a pair of needle-nose pliers or forceps. It takes about 15 minutes. Then you don't need connectors on the servos, just solder the wires to the receiver and save even more weight. There was a long thread called "Lightening the GWS reciever" where i got all my ideas. I'll try to post pics or video soon, but that gives you the particulars.

I couldn't be happier with it

Jason