SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Michael Heer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 08:48 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Oh, I almost forgot....

My Sportster EP has less than 200 Watts!!!

Actual measured values while swinging the APC "SPORT" propeller and using the PRO-LITEs 2100 15C cells, in the 3S2P configuration Li-POLYs (12.54 Volts off the charger) is 24.7 Amps.

24.7 Amps @ Wide Open @ 10.3 Volts under load.

Therefore, 24.7 X 10.3 = 254.4 Watts

Lets say at best the Power System only provides 70 % efficiency....

254.4 X .7 = 178 Watts {Pretty Close to the P-Calc estimate}
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2006, 08:55 AM
kissimmee fl
Joined Jul 2005
194 Posts
Carlos,

Don't worry I myself and the rest of the Orlando, Florida (Orlando Squadron) knows you can setup a fantastic power setup no matter what it can be. I have seen you experiement until you get the maximum out of every power system for the model in question.

Here's the Sportster perform some neat inside and outside loops ...apologize for the Video Camcorder person, he was not familiar with the camcorder and zoom in and zoom out features.

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1

Anyways....

I do like what I am seeing with what GWS is coming out and watching carefully !!!

Juan.
Keep it in the air!
Parkflyer4you is offline Find More Posts by Parkflyer4you
Last edited by Parkflyer4you; Feb 18, 2006 at 09:12 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 03:07 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
The meaning of the statement "Looses too much speed on the up lines" is simple.

When my Formosa II uses the APC 10 X 5 Thin Electric propeller its level flight speed is 37 MPH and when pulled into a vertical climb the model slows down untill the thrust equals the weight + the drag and this occurs at 20 MPH so the model slows down (looses speed) by 17 MPH.

When a GWS 10 x 6 HD propeller is used the then the level flight speed is 48 MPH and the vertical speed 13 MPH a difference of 35 MPH, twice the speed loss of the 10 x 5 propeller. This means that it is harder to do a perfectly round loop or any manouver that has both up and down lines.

Remember that when flying competition patern one is not just doing the occasional loop and roll just anwhere in the sky that takes ones fancy. Competition Patern requires that the manouvers be of a certain size and proportion and be compleated within a box of sky that has defined limits.

During the flight the aeroplane is flying in level flight for about 40% of the time, in upward vertical flight for about 20% of the time and downward vertical flight for 20% of the time. During the remaining 20% of the flight the model is changing direction betweet level, upward and downward flight.

When using an APC 10 X 5 Propeller my static input Watts are 237 and the static output watts are 183, giving an efficiency of 77%. The Static Pitch Speed is 42 MPH. The weight of my Formosa II is 887 Grams and the static thrust is 1320 grams so the aeroplane is no slouch.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Feb 18, 2006 at 03:16 PM. Reason: add text for clarity
Old Feb 19, 2006, 02:54 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY GWS
GWS has one more propeller for you. We just added a new size of propeller in the GWS HD Series: HD1260 Propeller. GWS HD Series Propeller with excellent performance is designed by GWS CEO, Mr. Lin. It provides you more thrust with less current draw. You are welcome to test and compare with other major brands in the market. This will be an excellent propeller for GWS Formosa II flyers to use.

Item Number: GWPRO001

with shaft attach rings -- will fit 3 mm, 4 mm, 5 mm, 6 mm shafts.
I use HD props in the 9 and 10 and 11 in. sizes, all on outrunners with 5mm collet adaptors. I'm really pleased to see the shaft adaptor rings on the 12 in..... any chance these other smaller HD props will be modified with these shaft adaptor rings as well?
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Feb 19, 2006, 04:30 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,703 Posts
Hi Tom

I've been informed that more new propellers are being designed and tested for brushless motors. These smaller HD props would certainly be included, shaft adaptors as well.
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Last edited by GWS CHEN; Feb 21, 2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:07 AM
Joined Jul 2004
1,537 Posts
Quote:
GWS has one more propeller for you. We just added a new size of propeller in the GWS HD Series: HD1260 Propeller. GWS HD Series Propeller with excellent performance is designed by GWS CEO, Mr. Lin. It provides you more thrust with less current draw. You are welcome to test and compare with other major brands in the market. This will be an excellent propeller for GWS Formosa II flyers to use.

Item Number: GWPRO001

with shaft attach rings -- will fit 3 mm, 4 mm, 5 mm, 6 mm shafts.
The price will be the same as other 12" GWS propellers.

Item Number: GWPRO001 --- 2 pc in a bag
Item Number: GWPRO001A --- 6 pc in a bag
Item Number: GWPRO001B --- 100 pc in a bag
RAY GWS is offline Find More Posts by RAY GWS
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:46 AM
Joined Jul 2004
1,537 Posts
GWS has many different type of propellers.

HD series is much stronger. It looks like GWS direct Drive Propellers but much stronger.

Some flyers may not know this. Welcome to check it out at GWS dealers.

Welcome to test and compare with other brands.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:02 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Quote:
GWS has many different type of propellers.

HD series is much stronger. It looks like GWS direct Drive Propellers but much stronger.

Some flyers may not know this. Welcome to check it out at GWS dealers.

Welcome to test and compare with other brands.
See GWS web about props:

http://www.gwsus.com/english/product.../propeller.htm

http://www.gwsus.com/english/product...peller_edp.htm
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Feb 23, 2006, 08:57 PM
Joined Jul 2004
1,537 Posts
Add new photos of GWS Brushless ESC Programming Cards

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=114
Old Feb 23, 2006, 09:19 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,981 Posts
Quote:
Add new photos of GWS Brushless ESC Programming Cards

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=114
How does this card work? If I have to open up my plane and plug the ESC into this card, that is not a workable solution. Not all programmable ESC require being plugged into a PC. Most, in fact, can program basic functions with a series of throttle stick movements without disturbing the model. This is an essential part of any programmable ESC I would buy. Will this also be an option (I hope)?
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 23, 2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:12 PM
Joined Jul 2004
1,537 Posts
Hi Tom,

Ours do have those features also.

Ray
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:02 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
How does this card work? If I have to open up my plane and plug the ESC into this card, that is not a workable solution. Not all programmable ESC require being plugged into a PC. Most, in fact, can program basic functions with a series of throttle stick movements without disturbing the model. This is an essential part of any programmable ESC I would buy. Will this also be an option (I hope)?
Hi Tom

GWS ESC programming card does not need to work with
a PC at all, it could be applied on a field/park or in a room,
anywhere, anytime. It has 12 tiny switches on its board,
all you have to do just turn on/off few switches by using a toothpick and push/pull throttle stick when setting desired functions with GWS new ESCs.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:15 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,703 Posts
Hi Tom

I forgot one thing, you would need to connect ESC with the programming card for seconds after setting made on it, then
disconnect them after the setting datas being transmitted from the programming card back to ESC.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:24 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Hi Tom

GWS ESC programming card does not need to work with
a PC at all, it could be applied on a field/park or in a room,
anywhere, anytime. It has 12 tiny switches on its board,
all you have to do just turn on/off few switches by using a toothpick and push/pull throttle stick when setting desired functions with GWS new ESCs.
Yes, I was aware it does not need a PC to work. The info given previously stated that, and seemed to imply others do need a PC. My question really is how do you attach the card to the ESC? And also, this would require having access to the ESC, meaning you'd have to open up a plane with a full fuselage to get at it... not very user friendly. All my existing ESC that are programmable can be set with the just the throttle stick without attaching anything to the ESC. If you have to move a throttle stick to get it to work, the only value I can see with the card is it saves some throttle stick tweaking in lieu of flipping some tiny switches. But if I have to disassemble my plane to plug it into the ESC, I'd much prefer the throttle stick tweaking.

Maybe if you could post the instructions on how the card is used, it would make more sense.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 02:48 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Chen

Are you saying that with the programing box we will have two different methods of programing the new GWS Brushless ESCs.

The first method being not to use the box but instead to use the normal method of switching on the radio equipment with the throttle in the high position and using the throttle on the Tx to program the ECS.

The second method being to disconnect the ESC from the Rx to connect the Program Box and then use the box to change the programming in the ESC.

Am I correct in assuming this.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Feb 25, 2006 at 03:42 AM.