HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Michael Heer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 03:20 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,676 Posts
Hi Tom

You would need to set the programming card with the movements of throttle stick first, then plug ESC to the card as:

Pull out ESC connector(signal/positive/negative) which is used to connect with receiver, just plug it to the programming card after setting done on it, wait for seconds, then switch the same connector back to receiver. It would not be hard to do.
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2006, 03:43 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,676 Posts
Hi Ken

Great! You are almost correct.

You could set the new ESC by following its enclosed manual (would probably be the same as it was) without applying the programming card at all. You are right at this method by applying throttle stick on Tx and ESC only.

The second method would make throttle function more sophisticated. You would need to set the programming card for your desired functions with the movements of throttle stick on transmitter first, then plug GWS new ESC to the card, wait for
seconds, then switch the connector of ESC back to receiver.

Sorry for I could not post full manual now, hope I have stated
that clearer.

Chen
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:08 AM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
I thought you set the programming card with micro switches. ??? (Not with transmitter)
Hovertime is offline Find More Posts by Hovertime
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:36 AM
Joined Jul 2004
1,537 Posts
without programming board --- Only use TX, flyers can only set up very simple and basic features.

With programming board -- flyers can change more settings or features on the ESC.

Ray
RAY GWS is offline Find More Posts by RAY GWS
Last edited by RAY GWS; Feb 28, 2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:34 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Hi Tom

You would need to set the programming card with the movements of throttle stick first, then plug ESC to the card as:

Pull out ESC connector(signal/positive/negative) which is used to connect with receiver, just plug it to the programming card after setting done on it, wait for seconds, then switch the same connector back to receiver. It would not be hard to do.
I still do not understand... how does the throttle stick movement set the card programming? Does the card have to be first plugged into the RX (there's no other way for it to receive stick movement commands)?. Or did you mean toggle the DIP switches on the card first, then plug it into the ESC?

I agree pulling the plug from the RX and plugging into the card is a simple task. What is not so simple is getting to the RX in my PT-17 and TM400, for example. That is a royal pain in the behind to remove (at minimum) the four tiny screws on the lower struts and then unbolt the lower wing just to get to the electronics. In that case, just being able to re-program by moving the throttle sticks like the Castle Creations ESCs, Cool Running ESCs, etc. is much better. If I were doing all this ESC tweaking on the test bench, or just once before the plane was fully assembled, or had access to the RX without plane disassembly (e.g. my Formosa or flat-form 3D plane) it would be a different story, I guess.

<edit> OK, I read more posts and see the basic features CAN be toggled with just the throttle stick movements. Excellent! But I still don't see how the card can be programmed with the throttle stick, or why it would need to do so with the DIP switches. It would also be good to know what the basic features are, and what extra features are accessed with the programming card (since it is an option extra cost component). I think the best solution would be to post a .pdf file of the ESC and programming card instruction manual on your web site, and provide a link here so we can go read it.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 25, 2006 at 12:41 PM. Reason: read more post info
Old Feb 25, 2006, 01:30 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Any programing method that requires that the Tx be switched on is not suitable for use at any busy club flying field. Frequency time can be at a premium, with a wait for the frequency to be free and then a time limit on its use. One would want to use the time limit for flying not for equipment adjustment.

Would not a Three Position Lever Switch on the programing box fulfill the functions of the throttle stick. All of the programable ESCs I have used the throttle stick is placed in one of thee positions, full throttle, half throttle and low throttle, to program the ESC.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Feb 25, 2006, 03:06 PM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
Yeah you could use any servotester to drive esc for programming.
I do my programming at home however, not at the field, when its time to fly!
Old Feb 26, 2006, 03:58 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,676 Posts
Hi Ken, Tom and Hovertime

You could set the programming card and make it applicable with ESC at home, it would not be better to set it at flying clubs' field. Ken is right, use the time limit for flying not for equipment adjustment on fields. However Tom would need to work more on
your PT-17 and TM for pulling out ESC connector.

You could set new ESCs with movements of throttle stick on Tx
simply by following the ESC manual, almost the same way as it was.

Setting on programming card would need to turn on/off 2-3 of
12 tiny switches on it for the desired function respectively, you would need to use a toothpick to turn on/off that switches, something like making a tick on it, tick it on/off.

Hi Tom, I'll check them up more on next Monday to see if it is a must to set the card with movements of throttle stick. Probably I would need to set ESC with Tx first, then set the card, and plug ESC with it, then switch ESC back to receiver for its sophisticated
functions-- Ray has stated these functions on last page. May be
you are right, setting the card without applying Tx. It seems I forgot something on weekend as I did not bring them home for
more studying. Chen
Last edited by GWS CHEN; Feb 26, 2006 at 04:05 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:08 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,676 Posts
Hi Friends

I've today studied more on the programming card for its setting.
I would like to clarify its setting procedures as below:

Set the programming card for desired functions by turning on/off 1-3 tiny DIP switches (there are 12 totally) on it without applying throttle stick on Tx at all, using a ball pen to turn the switch would be easier.

Next, plug ESC to the programming card then connect battery
pack with ESC (turn on ESC), turn off ESC after the setting data well restored (normally made within seconds), then switch ESC back to Rx.

It would need to set the desired range of throttle stick movements on Tx with ESC by following manual.

Friends who do not have programming card could set the new ESCs with movements of throttle stick on Tx by following the ESC manual only, almost same way as it was.

Chen
Old Feb 27, 2006, 06:00 PM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
Now it sounds more logical

So can you set the same features with TX as with programming card or not?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 02:52 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,676 Posts
The programming card transmits its data to ESC only, all functions/features will be activated by ESC. You can apply most of these functions by operating throttle stick on Tx. You would need to set the desired range of throttle stick on Tx with ESC.
Chen
Old Feb 28, 2006, 04:03 PM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
Hm apparently language barrier is working against us here....
Old Feb 28, 2006, 09:36 PM
Joined Jul 2004
1,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovertime

answer is no.
RAY GWS is offline Find More Posts by RAY GWS
Old Mar 01, 2006, 10:35 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovertime

Hi Hovertime

I've stated that the programming card transmits setting
data to ESC only. Was that not clear?
Old Mar 01, 2006, 11:55 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Are we off topic here? This thread is for tracking GWS announcements. Can those who want to discuss esc programming start a separate thread so I don't keep getting unnnecessarily excited about a new important announcement, only to find it isn't. Apart from anything else it would be much harder for a search to turn up your info than if it was in a dedicated thread - so you'd be helping others in the future.

Thanks folks
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard