HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Sep 2009
60 Posts
David,

Couple questions based on your photos back on page 1.

First, the black negative wire also connects to the same pad(s) as the white wire?

Second, the light gauge wires shown soldered to the skinny pads. Where are those wires in the other photos? Have they been tucked back inside the case to clean it up a bit? Do these wires carry any amount of current, or merely signal-level voltage?

Thanks,

MT
Midnite Tweeke is offline Find More Posts by Midnite Tweeke
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:23 PM
United Kingdom, South York
Joined Aug 2002
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Tweeke View Post
David,

Couple questions based on your photos back on page 1.

First, the black negative wire also connects to the same pad(s) as the white wire?

Second, the light gauge wires shown soldered to the skinny pads. Where are those wires in the other photos? Have they been tucked back inside the case to clean it up a bit? Do these wires carry any amount of current, or merely signal-level voltage?

Thanks,

MT
MT

The 4 outer pads are all negative and are wrapped top to bottom and connected with the white wire to a the negative. This is just to common up all the negs with suitable wire.

The activation wires are all servo leads and pass very little current, the sticking out connections are what I used to buzz out the psi when I first worked out how to power it up, I only showed them to make it easy to understand. In the finished psi they are all short and tidied away behind the mouldable plastic or glue gun goo

David
himagain is offline Find More Posts by himagain
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:56 AM
United Kingdom, England, Chelmsford
Joined Jan 2012
50 Posts
I've just purchased one of these off eBay for a spiffing 10 inc. P&P.

Will the solution described in the thread work with any charger?
alexthecheese is offline Find More Posts by alexthecheese
Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:45 PM
Joined Aug 2002
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthecheese View Post
I've just purchased one of these off eBay for a spiffing 10 inc. P&P.

Will the solution described in the thread work with any charger?

It supplies exactly 12v with loads of Amps.... if your charger is 12v off you go
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Jan 2012
50 Posts
Thanks. Just read this through properly and it all makes sense. For 10 this setup seems like an absolute bargain.

I think I was thinking about how you can get more volts into a battery than the PSU is supplying. i.e. 12v supply to get 12.6v fully-charged batteries. That's a bit more of a general question I know.

What wires would you recommend for use across the negatives and also for the pins?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:05 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,388 Posts
Yeah, they work great and don't seem to have problems.

Have eight of them left in the basement after supplying about 20 people around here with them just in case I need another.
mt_100 is online now Find More Posts by mt_100
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Sep 2009
60 Posts
[QUOTE]Have eight of them left in the basement after supplying about 20 people around here QUOTE]

I see all sorts of sellers on eBay with quite a bit of variation in prices and guarantees. Have you ever encountered a problem with your purchases? Had a warranty claim? Any problem getting a seller to stand behind it? Or do you just consider them cheap enough that you don't worry about an occasional dud?

Thanks,

MT
Midnite Tweeke is offline Find More Posts by Midnite Tweeke
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:35 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,388 Posts
I don't buy them, I actually pull them from servers before they are sent for recycling. Haven't had one go bad yet.
mt_100 is online now Find More Posts by mt_100
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Jan 2012
50 Posts
I received one today. I'll be wiring it up tonight.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joe from New England
United States, MA, Beverly
Joined Apr 2011
8 Posts
Grateful Thanks

I just wanted to take a minute to thanks all of you guys in helping me convert eight different server PS to functioning power supply's.

A friend of mine got a bunch of them for free out of his work place for the goose!

After converting them with the knowledge gained here,I have passed out a half of dozen to various friends (RCer's & not) to help in charging batteries, troubleshooting ETC.

Who can't use a good powerful 12+ volt power supply. Of course, "nothing succeeds like excess", who can't use a 24 volt PS.

In closing, thanks again.
pete236 is offline Find More Posts by pete236
Last edited by pete236; Feb 10, 2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: adding info
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Aug 2002
262 Posts
Pete

Thats cool, its worth noting when I posted it i thought nobody apart from the original poster would be interested.

Happy to see so many people now using them

David
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:24 PM
Total Newbie
Joined Dec 2011
25 Posts
Operational PSU!

I knew I kept an old DL380 G3 w/ dual power supplies for something. I've got the PSU driving my iCharger with good results. I'd now like to pot the exposed connections to reduce the chance of me going to the hospital.

I saw mention of "magic plastic", but cannot find a suitable compound on Google. Would regular RTV silicone compound work? I can get that semi-locally.

Loud bugger, but that's probably a good thing. That way I know a battery is charging....
gadams999 is offline Find More Posts by gadams999
Last edited by gadams999; Feb 28, 2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Aug 2002
262 Posts
I used magic plastic which I can buy from ebay in the UK

Second best thing is just simple glue from a glue gun

David
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:35 PM
Cereal Killer.
USA, IA, Iowa City
Joined Jun 2009
701 Posts
I had some silicone window sealant laying around, so gooped that all over it and then wrapped it in some self-sealing electrical tape (though regular tape would work just fine).
I have 4 more PSU's waiting for a rainy day and a new soldering tip.
branflake12 is offline Find More Posts by branflake12
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:51 PM
Total Newbie
Joined Dec 2011
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by branflake12 View Post
I had some silicone window sealant laying around, so gooped that all over it and then wrapped it in some self-sealing electrical tape (though regular tape would work just fine).
I have 4 more PSU's waiting for a rainy day and a new soldering tip.
I ended up getting electronic grade silicone sealant/adhesive. Now just waiting for the power poles to arrive and I'll finish up this project. Love the amount of help available on RCGroups.com
gadams999 is offline Find More Posts by gadams999