Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 02, 2002, 06:42 PM
Green Member
NJ
Joined Mar 2002
788 Posts
Is the EZ-400G good for beginners?

How would this plane do for a beginner? They offer a package that includes everything needed to get started. Here's the Link http://www.nesail.com/ez400glider.htm

It looks like my interest in this hobby is going to be geared toward sailplanes and parkflyers...so any other info you could provide would be much appreciated. I plan to go to a local club this weekend to ask a few questions there too. Also joined the AMA.

Thanks,

Joe in Jersey
FX1SUB is offline Find More Posts by FX1SUB
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2002, 12:55 AM
Providence, RI
Joined May 2001
380 Posts
I think that is an excellent choice Joe! This plane will fly very easily and be very stable, also it will give you a good representation of how gliders feel because this one should "float" much like a glider will. I always recommend glider stlye wings for someone learning. And for $329 for everything (even a peak charger...wow!) I may even have to get one!

Scott
exempt is offline Find More Posts by exempt
Old Apr 03, 2002, 06:50 AM
Byram Twp. NJ
Joined Dec 2000
121 Posts
Joe,

I learned to fly with the Pleaser 400, which is very similar to the EZ 400. The glider version that you are loking at has a little longer wing span with a polyhedral wing. One of our other club members had an EZ 400 which also flew extremely well.

I've had my Pleaser 400 for over 18 months, and have well over 100 flights on it. I'm using a Hitec 555 rx and two Hitec HS55 servos. I originally started with a 7 cell pack of 600 AE's, but have since switched to 8 cell packs. Flight times are in excess of 8 minutes of mainly full power.

During the first few months with the Pleaser, it had a few flights interrupted by trees, a soccer goal post, and of course good old mother earth. Repairs were needed to the wing, tail sections and the carbon fiber fuse. But the good news is that I was able to make the repairs and get back in the air.

A few weeks ago I decided that the original covering with all of the added repair patches was looking rather shabby so I decided to recover it. The tail section is complete, and I should be able to finish the wing over the next week.

We've got a good club here in northern New Jersey (Top-O-New Jersey) with a growing number of electric flyers if you're interested. Where are you in NJ?

Steve
steve f is offline Find More Posts by steve f
Old Apr 03, 2002, 07:09 AM
Byram Twp. NJ
Joined Dec 2000
121 Posts
Joe,

Sorry, but I just remembered. Sal at NSP is supposed to be having a "Make A Deal Day" at NSP today I believe.

Give him a call if you've decided on the EZ and you just may get a little better deal on it.

Steve
Old Apr 03, 2002, 08:26 AM
Green Member
NJ
Joined Mar 2002
788 Posts
Thanks Steve,

I appreciate all of your positive feedback (and everyone elses). I emailed Sal last night about a sale on the EZ-400G for $99.00.... and it's still available I'm also adding the Rondo speed control and a 8-cell 600mah battery for $49.00. I've also convinced my girlfriend to buy me the Hitec Laser 4 for my upcoming birthday(32 and startin to feel it). The only other things I need would probably be a charger and an extra battery. is there anything else you could think of? Maybe some repair equipment? I'll probably need it.

This group seems pretty tame....I really haven't seen any flame wars. unlike my Astronomy news group where everyone attacks you for having an opinion.

Thanks again for the help,

Joe
Old Apr 03, 2002, 08:54 AM
Green Member
NJ
Joined Mar 2002
788 Posts
Steve,

I forgot to mention that I'm in East Brunswick (Central NJ). I went to your clubs page and it's a bit far from me. There are a few clubs in my area though and will probably visit them soon. Are there any specific laws for RC electric planes in NJ? The last thing I want to do is get a summons for flying these things.

Joe
Old Apr 03, 2002, 08:58 AM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
The EZ400 glider looks like it would go really well. Poly wing, 4:1 gearbox, big wing. Should go great.

Shame on those astronomy guys. In my experience the moderated forums tend to flame less.
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron
Old Apr 03, 2002, 09:20 AM
Byram Twp. NJ
Joined Dec 2000
121 Posts
Joe,

About the only spares I can think of would be another prop or two and at least one more battery pack. I'm not sure what prop is recommended for the EZ 400 Glider, but I'm using an 11x7 APC Electric prop on the Pleaser 400.

Check around for pricing on battery packs. One place to look is www.eflightpacks.com They have a good rep here and the prices and delivery are real good too. This way you can have one pack flying and the other one on charge.

Another thing to consider is a computer raido. I've got a Flash 5 from Hitec and love it. If you got it just for the 5 model memory you couldn't go wrong. Servocity would be a good place to begin looking.

There are a multitude of chargers for you to ponder over. If you think you are going to be in this for the long haul you might want to think about getting the best you can afford. "Buy cheap, buy twice" is a favorite piece of advise around here. Do a search on chargers and you'll have more than enough reading for a while.

Our club has two fields, and the closest one to your location is the one that is fairly close to Waterloo Village if you're familiar with that historic site in Warren County.

Steve