HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2005, 05:24 PM
Stupid Gravity
alsip, ill
Joined Aug 2002
869 Posts
Yee-Haaa, Just Ordered a Shogun, Now For Some Questions

I just ordered a stock Shogun from GrandRC, good price, nice guy. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you guys can answer for me.

1.) Can I use a Hitec 555 in this helicopter, my transmitter is a Hitec Eclipse 7
the 555 is a 5-channel receiver.
2.) I have a Castle Creations Pixie 20-amp brushed controller, any issues
with this speed controller?
3.) I will be using a Thunder Power 1320 3-cell battery, how many amps does
the stock motor draw?
4.) What servos do you guys recommend and what gyro do you guys
recommend for this helicopter (I'm cheap, so keep that in mind).

I used to fly helicopters about 4 or 5 years ago, a .30 size Shuttle and a .30 size Concept. I was capable of flying circuits around the field without any problems, but I was wondering about how much of a difference this micro helicopter is from what I was use to flying?

Thanks for the help in advance!
WhiteCloud is online now Find More Posts by WhiteCloud
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2005, 05:30 PM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
1) I 'think' that RX is fine, although you will need a Rx with at least 6 ch. if you are using a gyro with Remote Gain, such as the GY401.

2) I 'think' that ESC will be fine...

3) Not too sure how many amps the motor draws, but I 'think' that the TP1320s will be fine.

4) Im afraid I dont know about servos, but I 'think' that people use HS50s, 56 and 55s...

(Sorry for all the 'think's... )

Duane
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
Old Apr 11, 2005, 06:00 PM
Stupid Gravity
alsip, ill
Joined Aug 2002
869 Posts
Any advice and help is always welcomed, thanks for your input.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 06:13 PM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
Keep asking questions.. I just got one too.. Need to know same stuff as you really.

I still have to buy the transmitter, I think I will go for the one in the add at the top of the page Futaba 7CHP. I have a GWS 6ch receiver.. still need servos, and Lipo's too. I do have the charger though.. I am using the Himax 4200 brushless with Pheonix-25

I swear I saw the amp draw for the stock400 motor in the instructions but I can't find it now.

Good choice of heli Keep me/us posted on your progress.

oops.. nearly forgot.. GY240 gyro.. currently testing in an Aerohawk in HH mode EXCELLENT!!!!!

Jeff
Headspin is offline Find More Posts by Headspin
Old Apr 11, 2005, 06:15 PM
Old new guy
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2004
3,152 Posts
I use the HS56's and an HS50 for the tail.
TheX is offline Find More Posts by TheX
Old Apr 11, 2005, 06:23 PM
Stupid Gravity
alsip, ill
Joined Aug 2002
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headspin
Keep asking questions.. I just got one too.. Need to know same stuff as you really.

I still have to buy the transmitter, I think I will go for the one in the add at the top of the page Futaba 7CHP. I have a GWS 6ch receiver.. still need servos, and Lipo's too. I do have the charger though.. I am using the Himax 4200 brushless with Pheonix-25

I swear I saw the amp draw for the stock400 motor in the instructions but I can't find it now.

Good choice of heli Keep me/us posted on your progress.

oops.. nearly forgot.. GY240 gyro.. currently testing in an Aerohawk in HH mode EXCELLENT!!!!!

Jeff
I also have a GWS 6-channel, but am hesitant to use it in this helicopter, I only use GWS electronics in cheap foam planes. I would hate to lose an expensive helicopter to a low end receiver. I looked through the instructions (downloaded them) but could not find anything on amp draw.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 06:25 PM
Joined Aug 2003
631 Posts
Dont use cheap servos in your shogun, for $20 more you'll get piece of mind as well as less slop and better centre-ing. =). Hs-56s if you can afford them, HS-55s if you cant, I think the futaba micros are OK as well, basically anything ball raced, dont get bushed servos, a single crash will cost you more than the difference.

GY240 all the way, its an investment not an expense, you can always sell it later for alot of its original value and at US$100 its not that expensive... it will make flying all the more enjoyable.
Cerberus is offline Find More Posts by Cerberus
Old Apr 11, 2005, 06:29 PM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
Oh I agree entirely! I will be using it until I can afford something more robust. I am not at the aerobatic stage so everything will be very close range..
This worked fine on the Aerohawk.

TheX Those servo's seem to be a very popular choice!
Headspin is offline Find More Posts by Headspin
Old Apr 11, 2005, 06:30 PM
Joined Aug 2003
631 Posts
As for the difference, well they say it flies like a 30 size heli... Ive never owned one, but its ALOT more stable than the dragonfly but some things you need to look out for... the tail gears are VERY fragile, taking off in grass will destroy them, braking torque on a brushless motor will destroy them... so MAKE SURE THE ESC YOU USE DOESNT HAVE A BRAKE or make sure you can disable it.

Second, the heli has a VERY high centre of gravity for someone not used to it. It does like to tip over on a less than perfect landing, or a spool up with alot of vibration. Either get a wider landing gear, or keep the training gear on it till your very comfortable and then KEEP ON IT when you spool up/down... Im flying the thing from the moment I hit the start switch to the moment the blades stop turning...
Old Apr 11, 2005, 06:37 PM
kids ate my heli budget
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2005
1,782 Posts
you can't use a 5ch rx on a CP heli unless your rx can switch to receive ch 6 on the fifth channel. It' s a bit stupid, but all heli radios seem to use channel 5 for gyro gain and 6 for pitch. I know the berg 5ch rx can switch to use 1,2,3,4 and 6 but I don't know if the hitec can.

I'm using an Electron 6 and an Eclipse 7 with my rex.
jameotron is offline Find More Posts by jameotron
Old Apr 11, 2005, 06:42 PM
Stupid Gravity
alsip, ill
Joined Aug 2002
869 Posts
The .30 size heli's were really stable when set up right, I could fly one in 15 mph winds without a problem, I also flew the LMH with an .049, not as good in the wind but darn near indestructable, did you know they will bounce off a tree and still fly a couple minutes later? I'm thinking the Shogun should fly somewhat similar to the LMH, alittle sensitive to wind etc (maybe not indestructable though). Where are you guys getting the gyro you have recommended (best price, remember I'm cheap). Alot of you guys seem to like the Hitec 56's servos, I think I'll take your advice and get a set. By the way I also ordered the training gear just to make sure I don't kill my Shogun until my thumbs relearn how to fly the helicopter.

Thanks again for the help, keep the advice coming, I'm thankfull for all the help I can get.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 06:42 PM
Joined Aug 2003
631 Posts
Yuo can, provided you have enough mixes. You mix the 6th channel into the 5th and the 5th channel negatively into itself.... therefore any movement of the control for the 5th channel has no effect and every movement for the sixth channel gets passed directly onto the 5th... I did this for flaperons on a 5 channel RX and it worked fine... Just make sure you disable the 5th channel (i.e. mix it negatively with itself) otherwise your asking for trouble.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 06:46 PM
Joined Aug 2003
631 Posts
The heli is stable in the wind but is subjected to translational lift in wind... i.e. I can hover it in a strong wind without trouble, but to try and fly circuits its very difficult with quick thumb action on the collective as it bounces 12 feet up in the air then drops 24 =)... So Id recommend flying it in the calm until you get used to it... Personally, I dont fly in anything other than the slightest breeze, just because I dont find it as enjoyable when your sweating waiting for the lift to kick it high or drop and possibly smash it... better blades helps a bit in reducing the effect, but still I prefer to pass and enjoy the quieter days (and nights in the basketball stadium wahoo!)
Old Apr 11, 2005, 07:14 PM
Stupid Gravity
alsip, ill
Joined Aug 2002
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus
Yuo can, provided you have enough mixes. You mix the 6th channel into the 5th and the 5th channel negatively into itself.... therefore any movement of the control for the 5th channel has no effect and every movement for the sixth channel gets passed directly onto the 5th... I did this for flaperons on a 5 channel RX and it worked fine... Just make sure you disable the 5th channel (i.e. mix it negatively with itself) otherwise your asking for trouble.
Ya know.......maybe I'll just get the Hitec Electron-6, its sounds alot easier
Old Apr 11, 2005, 07:16 PM
Joined Aug 2003
631 Posts
easier? and here I was thinking you were cheap?!?! =) the electon6 is the safer way to go, the mixing is the cheaper of course... =).