SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 11, 2005, 11:48 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Li Poly Battery Cell Balance Cell with Pos. Lead highest voltage?

Since I started using batteries with balancing taps and Suzzane Li Po Balancers I have noticed something which may or may not be common. Anyone with balancer experience experience or even those who just use taps or other means to check cell voltages please feel free to add your comments.
My observations have been that the cell which I refer to as #1 the one with the positive out put lead is alway(?) the first one to reach 4.21 and have its balancer to start flashing(shunting). The only cells which I have found so far that are very closely matches for the first several charge cycles have been iRate loose cells which I purchased and asembled into packs myself.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2005, 08:28 PM
DWS
D.W. Schmidt
United States, IL, Scott AFB
Joined Sep 2004
316 Posts
Charles,

I just received three of these balancers from LightFlightRC today. Once I get them up and running (hopefully tomorrow), I'll let you know how mine work out.

I do have quick question for you. The wiring diagram that came with the cells recommends putting 3 47K resistors in the circuit to prevent damage when all three are plugged in at once (1 resistor for each balancer). Do resistors have a "+" and "-" or can I solder them in either way. If they do have a "+" and "-", does "+" go to red and "-" to black?

Thanks!

D.W.
DWS is offline Find More Posts by DWS
Old Apr 11, 2005, 08:36 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWS
Charles,

I just received three of these balancers from LightFlightRC today. Once I get them up and running (hopefully tomorrow), I'll let you know how mine work out.

I do have quick question for you. The wiring diagram that came with the cells recommends putting 3 47K resistors in the circuit to prevent damage when all three are plugged in at once (1 resistor for each balancer). Do resistors have a "+" and "-" or can I solder them in either way. If they do have a "+" and "-", does "+" go to red and "-" to black?

Thanks!

D.W.
There is no + or - for resistors. You can pick up a pack of 5 1/2 watt 47 K resistors from Radi Shack for 99 cents. It would be nice if they would just go ahead and supply them or atleast place a note with the Li Po Balancers that they are recomended if using in a plug in configuration.

Charles
Old Apr 11, 2005, 09:07 PM
DWS
D.W. Schmidt
United States, IL, Scott AFB
Joined Sep 2004
316 Posts
Thanks Charles, once again YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

Is 5 1/2 watts standard? If they don't have that size, should I get more watts or less? I apologize for my electronic ignorance. My undergrad is is Mechanincal, not Electrical Engineering.

I just looked at the Radio Shack website and found these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=271-1130

are they the correct ones?

Thanks!

D.W.
DWS is offline Find More Posts by DWS
Last edited by DWS; Apr 11, 2005 at 09:17 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 09:51 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Mar 2004
35 Posts
Charles,

Iíve only used mine on already well balanced packs and the balancers so far appear to come on simultaneously. However, I have noticed that the shunting does not appear to be independent, at least when under charging, as they always seem to flash in sequence (kind or rippling, if you see what I mean). I would have thought that there would be no frequency relationship between the flashing, if the balancers are truly working independently. Could it be that adding the 47K protection resistors, across the balancer leads, introduces a dependency between the balancers? (I do not understand the balancer circuitry.) Conversely, when attached to a slightly overcharged pack (hot Apache 2500), immediately subsequent to disconnecting from charger, the balancers appear to work quite independently and only the cell(s) in excess of 4.21 volts are shunted and in no observable relationship.

Andy.
AndyMac is offline Find More Posts by AndyMac
Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:21 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWS
Thanks Charles, once again YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

Is 5 1/2 watts standard? If they don't have that size, should I get more watts or less? I apologize for my electronic ignorance. My undergrad is is Mechanincal, not Electrical Engineering.

I just looked at the Radio Shack website and found these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=271-1130

are they the correct ones?

Thanks!

D.W.
Yes those will work just fine.

Charles