SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 02, 2002, 03:55 PM
Madison WI
Joined Feb 2002
26 Posts
SR-71 Hobby Labs R/C rocket plane to electric

has any one converted on of these to E-power yet?
Perry
pbrokaw is offline Find More Posts by pbrokaw
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2002, 04:08 PM
Wakefield, MA
Joined Feb 2001
769 Posts
I think Thomas B mentioned he had one planned, but I know he's pretty busy right now. Do a search on it as I think there might have been another person or two with the same thought.
member73 is offline Find More Posts by member73
Old Apr 02, 2002, 07:27 PM
Registered Lifeform
Little Rock,AR,USA
Joined Jun 1999
801 Posts
Tom and I have discussed this quite a bit, and basically think it could be done. I converted one of the original rocket-powered kits with a Cox Black Widow .049 and 6" pusher prop mounted in the rear of the fuselage. It actually flew pretty well, and was carrying a fair amount of dead weight. (the central tube for the rocket)

It will need a powerful drive system- probably a small brushless motor. A lot of people seem to think that a speed 400 can substitute for a hot 1/2A glow motor. They could not be more wrong!

Paul
Paul Willenborg is offline Find More Posts by Paul Willenborg
Old Aug 30, 2008, 07:26 AM
Joined Nov 2007
21 Posts
Good morning

I want the plan of the R/C rocket plane, "Ladyhawk". this plane was published in R/C Modeler magazine, Oct. 1993 issue. cdabalsa@ibest.com.br
Minare is offline Find More Posts by Minare
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:33 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,272 Posts
I beleive Steve Neil (sp?) converted one of these with an Astro Flight 020 direct drive and fixed gear. If I remember correctly he did his before the LiPo days so it's easly doable now. The 020 is a 200 watt motor.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:54 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,717 Posts
Yah, but I remember that Thomas B tried it with fans and it was a bit challenging- think he basically just used the top half which is going to be well nigh impossible with the rocket kit. I think it might be possible with EDF 40s (don't think the 30s have enough oomph), but that means making new nacelles and some surgery.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Aug 30, 2008, 03:07 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,272 Posts
I bought one 6 or 8 years ago with thoughts of converting it to edf. The technology just wasen't there ... getting enough power through those small nacells.
Still waiting.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray