SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:17 AM
No Little Rock Arkansas
Joined Feb 2003
199 Posts
Evo, am I jumping out of the frying pan into the fire?

Wasn't sure where to post this question. I have been using a 8103 and have never felt comfortable programing this radio, almost always needing help from someone from JR or a knowledgeable radio "geek".

I've always heard that the Stylus is the "sailplaners radio" for ease of programing, however, when I downloaded a pdf file of the operators manual, it didn't look easy to me.

Some of my more knowledgeable radio folks at our Saturday morning get together suggested an Evo or 9303.

This is where your help comes in, which if these 3 radios has the least sharp learning curve? Which has the best tutorial help i.e. Edberg?

TIA

Stan
Stan Myers is offline Find More Posts by Stan Myers
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2005, 02:29 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,467 Posts
What kind of planes are you flying?
Full house gliders?
Sport electric or glow?
Aerobitics?
Scale?

What kind of mixing are you typically using?

Why do you think you are having trouble programming the radio you have now?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 10, 2005, 08:29 AM
No Little Rock Arkansas
Joined Feb 2003
199 Posts
Add'l info

I'm flying full house electric 3.1m,sailplane 3m+,Grand Esprit, 70%Brooklyn Dodger electric, hand launch.

I'm alright with basic functions, but I'm lost when trying to flaps/crow. Get the flaps to come down the same number of degrees, etc.

Stan
Stan Myers is offline Find More Posts by Stan Myers
Old Apr 10, 2005, 08:51 AM
TLAR Black Belt
Athens, LA, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,251 Posts
Stan:

Generally you will have to set end points or travel volumes for each flap servo separately.

I'd have to say that the basic Stylus radio with a memory card will do all of the things you need to do. The EVO and the JR 9303 are "newer" and thus seem to be getting all the press, but the JR 9303 sailplane version is much like the old Vision sailplane version in that it is more specialized toward sailplanes than other types of planes.

Any of those radios are going to be fine. But, it will take time with the manual, and a plane and some determination to learn the programming functions of each of the radio systems. For all of the radios currently available, the most important element in the system is your knowledge of the programming and your dedication in setting up the plane and radio. Unfortunately, none of these radios will let me punch up Grand Esprit and be done. Some will be easier for this function or that function. Someone that has used them all, and that would not be me, might say this one or that one is easier to program. However, even this is subjective and what is easy for one person might be difficult for another. For instance, both the EVO and the JR 9303 are very good radios, but the programming approach is significantly different.

The 8103 that you have is very capable of providing the necessary functions for the type planes you mentioned in your post. If you get a new radio, you will have to be prepared to spend a significant amount of time with it learning the new programming.

Good luck with your project.

EJ
ejett is offline Find More Posts by ejett
Old Apr 10, 2005, 08:55 AM
TLAR Black Belt
Athens, LA, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,251 Posts
Oh! and be sure to get a radio that the group of guys you fly with are using as they will be your experts and your best resource if you get stuck.

EJ
ejett is offline Find More Posts by ejett
Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:16 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,467 Posts
Stan Myers

If you have the itch for a new radio, fine. All good choices.

But so far ti sounds like you have not spent enough time with the manual if getting the flaps even is one of the big challenges you are facing. Getting a new radio is not likely to help wit that.

Let's get detailed.

Pick a plane that is giving you trouble.

Provide the info on the plane, how you have the channels selected. Ie: ailerons on ch 1 or 1 and 7. Understand?

What mixes are you trying to set and most most importantly, why.

Then give us the problem.

I don't know the JR line so I can't help with specifc keystrokes, but I might be able to help you through the logic, if that is the problem.

That is a VERY capeable you have. Should be able to meet most of your needs.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 10, 2005, 01:11 PM
Dave
Redmond, Washington, United States
Joined Feb 2004
112 Posts
Have you tried any of the number of "Programming sailplane" guides? My personal favorite is the one written by Sherman Knight:

http://www.seattleareasoaringsociety..._info/tech.htm

There's a word doc about how to program your JR8103 for a six-channel sailplane. Well written, all you have to do is follow the steps. It's simple enough even for me, who doesn't understand the programming modes of the radio.
Hanagar is offline Find More Posts by Hanagar
Old Apr 10, 2005, 07:25 PM
fishs eddy n.y.
Joined Apr 2003
1,969 Posts
I had both the Evo 9 and the 9303. I had major problems with the Evo, in fact I got a replacement and had even more problems with that one(all were RF problems). I love the 9303, and would recommend it to anyone, with one caveat, get the heli version. I tried both a sailplane version and the heli and found the switch layout better on the heli. With the 9303 you can download a sailplane additional manual that walks you step by step how to set it up for a full house glider. After useing the 9303 and a 9c I also found the Evo not to be comfortable in the hands. But I know of many guys who have had zero problems with their Evo's and love them. But as EJ said it will be easier to have a Tx that is familiar to the guys you fly with to help when you get stuck on something.

Good luck with whatever your future purchase will be!

Doug
talonxracer is offline Find More Posts by talonxracer
Old Apr 15, 2005, 04:47 AM
85 degrees and sunny
Hawaii
Joined Apr 2003
554 Posts
I have a Evo 12 synthesizer/scanner and it is great. People talk about the global mixer issue but that is not an issue for me at the moment. I like the approach that MPX has taken in programming the Evo and it finally gelled in my brain after I setup my simple two channel Climmax sailplane. I then setup a 3D electric parkflyer and that was easy also.

I have a JR9303 on backorder for a couple months now (the ham band RF module is hard to come by I guess) and I got word that I should be receiving it by next week. The Evo does not come on the ham band I have several receivers on six meters. I went with the 9303 because I wanted a transmitter that was specifically made for sailplanes. The thumb wheel on the JR9303 is an interesting feature and the styling is pretty cool.
glide is offline Find More Posts by glide
Old Apr 16, 2005, 08:19 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,168 Posts
What EJ said !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejett
Oh! and be sure to get a radio that the group of guys you fly with are using as they will be your experts and your best resource if you get stuck.

EJ
I didn't factor this in when I bought my EVO. I thought I was kinda special being the only one in the club with one... then I got lonely

The EVO is a superb radio, don't mistake my comments as critcal of the Multiplex product. I however decided to take the advice of others like EJ and ordered a Sylus, quite a few in my club seem to fly Airtronics and have since the beginning of time. With the family, job and two contests to fly a month, I figured I need more time flying and less time trying to figure out the programming. It was a tough decision for me, because I really do like that EVO, I'll own one again one day I suspect.

Today I bought an Artemis from one of the guys in the club, he has a stylus which he let me fly with. We flew a bit, tweaking the setup and saved to the card, and we'll drop that config onto my Sylus when it arrives next week. As a new contest pilot, I'm always looking for pointers, guys are more likely to lend me a hand when they are confortable with my equipment.

Joedy's tutorial is an excellent resource. Check out this thread as well, there are lots of folks who will assist. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321734

My $.02
Hostage-46 is online now Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Apr 16, 2005, 09:03 PM
85 degrees and sunny
Hawaii
Joined Apr 2003
554 Posts
Stylus is a great transmitter but very dated. I've owned a couple of them but sold my last one a couple months ago. The card system is susceptible to catastrophic failure and then one day all your setups could be lost. The 9303 does not have a way of saving data like the Evo so the JR transmitter has that potential problem unless you could order from over the pond (in Europe) that Data exchange system. for the 9303. Now the Multiplex system is pretty good in regards to saving data to a PC via the cable link. But Multiplex seems a little slow in doing updates (the system is already a few years old and we are only at version 1.40).

As for setting up the Evo, many thanks to Joedy for doing the job of composing the tutorial. It is an excellent resource in understanding how to program the Evo. The flowchart is something that helped me immensely. Of course the Evo has a few shortcomings which could be addressed by future updates (remember that it didn't have the option of setting it to positive or negative shifts when it first came out). I hope to have my 9303 by next week and I will see if it will be easy to program (like my old Vision transmitter) and I hope that it is a capable sailplane transmitter.
glide is offline Find More Posts by glide