HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2005, 03:01 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,267 Posts
Randy Randolph Passing

Just received the sad news that yet another pioneer in model aviation as recently passed away. Randy was an avid small model flyer who has left us with a treasure of ingenious modeling ideas and designs, and showed us how to have fun with our great hobby. He will be truly missed by his modeling buddies the world over.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2005, 05:13 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,204 Posts
Missed, indeed! He published a lot of info on the craft of the hobby and also designed some fine models. It's sad to see him go.

It seems that so many of my heros, in so many venues, are dying. And who will replace them?

Jim R
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Apr 09, 2005, 07:45 AM
Kansas
Joined Jul 2002
539 Posts
RIP Randy

Godspeed to you.
die fliedermaus is offline Find More Posts by die fliedermaus
Old Apr 09, 2005, 11:19 AM
Oskaloosa Municipal, Iowa, United States
Joined Jan 2002
89 Posts
Dear Randy,
A long overdue thanks for all you did for all of us. Your celebration of small aircraft, your wonderful column and your friendship will all be sorely missed. We are all the richer for your life. And I'm sure Heaven will provide you with endless green grass, calm days with never a fear of losing your beautiful models. Peace, my friend.......
Scott Christensen
GSChristensen is offline Find More Posts by GSChristensen
Old Apr 09, 2005, 11:46 AM
USA, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2002
1,902 Posts
Truely sad news for all. His column in FM was always a first read for me.

Dave
Dave Wulff is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wulff
Old Apr 09, 2005, 12:26 PM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Im afraid I have not heard of Randy, but he seems a nice guy.
My condolensces (sp?) to all is family and friends.

Duane
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
Old Apr 09, 2005, 05:34 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,528 Posts
Randy was as nice a guy as you could ever hope to meet in our hobby, or anywhere.

He published many, many R/C model designs and was a big proponent of small models, back when small models were not as chic as they are now. He was on of the originators of SMALL and wrote about small models regularly in the model press.

He will be greatly missed.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Apr 09, 2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2005, 05:56 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Sue and I had the good luck and privilege to stay with Randy and Helen several times over the last ten years or so. A true gentleman, he embodied that fine concept that all aeromodellers are friends, though some of us just haven't met yet. initially, we had corresponded some, me from my native England. When he learned that Sue and I were visiting Dallas on a business trip, he offered us to visit and stay with him and Helen on the spot.

His aeromodelling talents and achievements were staggering. Being the modest kind of guy he was, it's a wonder we found out about much of it, but if you dug some, there was Randy, fulfilling AMA posts so aeromodelling could be a little better for all his buddies, coming up with new designs for magazines, doing those vital jobs that make a club run, and countless magazine articles like those one and two page hints sections he did for MAN, describing simply and clearly how to do things that a new guy might find confusing at first glance.

Our sympathies to Helen and Randy's family. Small it is alongside that, but our aeromodelling world has been the better for his being in it, and the poorer for his passing.

Dereck Woodward
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Apr 09, 2005, 09:20 PM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,879 Posts
I had not heard of Randys passing. A great friend for over 35 years, always a gentlemen with a kind word. I never saw him without his beautiful Helen and he will be sorely missed. To a great friend it was my pleasure sir! My respects to Helen and the family.

Respectfully Yours

Edwin E. (Ed) Couch
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch
Old Apr 09, 2005, 10:48 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,719 Posts
Ahh nuts. I never met the guy, but I know that if we had, we would have enjoyed each other's company. I very much admire a lot of his work- I liked his sense of style and whimsy.

I just flew my HOB P-51 today, and I was thinking of Fred Reese who's been catching permanent thermals for a few years. I'll bet Fred will be saving Randy a spot near a nice patch of blue sky.

Sam Brauer
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Apr 09, 2005, 11:33 PM
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2001
1,179 Posts
I met Randy several years back at Toledo.

We shared an interest in small airplanes, though neither of us was heavily into electric yet, at that time.

I still have his card in my card file right beside my computer.

I had always wanted to make it down to the the main SMALL event, to fly one of my models in the presence of "Mr. SMALL". I made it out to Ken Park's SMALL event in Ottawa last year, and thought of him while I was there.

I guess I'll have to be content to have had the honour of just meeting him.

My condolences to his family.

Ron Daniels
Ron Daniels is offline Find More Posts by Ron Daniels